Something Random

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My Galaxy S3 fell about 18 inches from my pocket onto concrete and the screen cracked. I looked into replacement, but I was quoted ~$200 from several different repair shops. I just use it with a cracked screen.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Coug. What saved me was wearing all the right gear, so my advise for any rider is to wear it, and don't skip it. Full face helmet, jacket, gloves, real leather boots is a must. Case in point, my jacket has a 10cm gash along the belly region (from sliding along the top of the guard rail), but the jacket took the damage, inside of having my guts split open and spread over the side of the motorway... (jacket is the kelver mesh type, stuff that is stab/knife proof, and yet it was still split open).

Glad to hear you are safe Chewy. Knew a guy who had all the gear and still got a shoulder laceration from hitting the guardrail post. Nasty.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My Nokia E71 (in those days, it was the smartphone!) is now 4+ years old. The biggest drawback to it is the slimy body; highly polished stainless steel that picks up finger oils and becomes slimy. I've dropped it numerous times on hard surfaces like concrete and cement, at speed (whipping it out of pant pocket). Body's a bit scratched here & there, and it developed burrs ata a couple of points that I smoothened down with a file. Display's still fine, works like a charm.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Chewy, it sounds like you have 8 lives to go ... Now that you have a job again, might you be better off with a cheap car? I know they use tons more fuel, but the driver can withstand quite a lot more excitement than a rider.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
How about a bus or train.
Still going to get another bike, just waiting on insurance - should know something by next Wednesday if it's going to be repaired or if it's a write off and I need to go shopping.

Bus is not an option where I live (there is only 1 bus service daily for the school kids in the area), and travel by train (which the nearest station is 5km away), would take longer than the bike ride, and the annual cost would be about 30% more than riding the bike, including fuel, maintenance/servicing, insurance and near work parking costs (I work in Brisbane). Yes, it's sad that riding a bike is cheaper than mass-public transport... (but that's another topic altogether).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I found this on Imgur.

q8PLerd.png

There may in fact be some truth to it. I got a few 830s and 840s and a lady followed shortly thereafter.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
They say there's two types of motorcyclists. Those who have had an accident and those who will.

Let's hope you've gotten your one and only out of the way and have many years of happy riding ahead of you.

Handruin

Administrator
I found this on Imgur.

View attachment 571

There may in fact be some truth to it. I got a few 830s and 840s and a lady followed shortly thereafter.

So what is up with that? We did not receive many details. :)

I bought 6 and no difference was observed. Of course nobody knows I have them.

That's because it doesn't work. Every real woman knows that if she wants a good man that they shouldn't flash fire out of the pan every time she turns them on. The classic slow and steady typically wins that race. It's a rookie mistake very similar to a flashy car winning a girl over. This may happen but it's likely not the girl you want to keep for more than a week or two.

Or it's more likely that correlation does not imply causation.

Handruin

Administrator
Still going to get another bike, just waiting on insurance - should know something by next Wednesday if it's going to be repaired or if it's a write off and I need to go shopping.

Bus is not an option where I live (there is only 1 bus service daily for the school kids in the area), and travel by train (which the nearest station is 5km away), would take longer than the bike ride, and the annual cost would be about 30% more than riding the bike, including fuel, maintenance/servicing, insurance and near work parking costs (I work in Brisbane). Yes, it's sad that riding a bike is cheaper than mass-public transport... (but that's another topic altogether).

Glad you made it through OK Chewy. Sorry to hear you had a bad incident with your bike. I hope everything works out ok with your insurance.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yay, Doug is back. :cheers: I hope you are healthy and not buried in snow.

Handruin

Administrator
Yay, Doug is back. :cheers: I hope you are healthy and not buried in snow.

I'm doing fine. We got like 14" of snow today which was a surprise. I thought the storm was supposed to be yesterday and there was minimal to nothing.

LunarMist

That's because it doesn't work. Every real woman knows that if she wants a good man that they shouldn't flash fire out of the pan every time she turns them on. The classic slow and steady typically wins that race. It's a rookie mistake very similar to a flashy car winning a girl over. This may happen but it's likely not the girl you want to keep for more than a week or two.

Or it's more likely that correlation does not imply causation.

In my case is it a joke. Obviously it is no longer reasonable.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
In my case is it a joke. Obviously it is no longer reasonable.
Same here. At this stage all I can get is something I would have to pay for, and usually that comes with STDs at no extra charge. For a moment though I seriously thought Merc hit upon a sure-fire path to success. Would a nice titanium bike work as well as Samsung SSDs? Hey girls, come on, you know you want it!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That was when I first assembled the bike. I had to lower the seat a bit to fit me, although not by too much (previous owner was also 5'9"). Don't forget this is a compact frame, so the seat post is much longer than a conventional frame. For scale, the top of the third drawer on the file cabinet it about 33" off ground level. I have a 30" inseam.

Stereodude

Not really a
This is exactly what ddrueding needs.

[video=youtube;pf1DdOnvVn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pf1DdOnvVn8[/video]

ddrueding

Fixture
Pretty cool. So to get a wall 5mx5m would cost $26,680 and have a resolution of 3600x3600@60hz

Don't have time to do the math on size and cost of a full 1080P (1920x1080) screen of them, but that would be pretty awesome.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not sure about that. There are only 48 LEDs / "pixels" per meter on the strips. A 5m wall would only have 240 vertical pixels. Horizontal resolution would be similar since the IP65 strips are ~.75" wide.

It's also not entirely clear how flexibly the controller can be configured. Obviously you can link multiple controllers together to couple additional vertical strips like they show in the video, but can you chain them vertically and have strips effectively longer than 5m?

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for checking my math, I think I multiplied it twice. If it is 240 pixels per 5m, than a full 1080 pixel high screen would be 22.5m (73.8ft) high and about 40m (131.2ft) wide. And waterproof. And (relatively) low-power. And flexible. That would be pretty awesome.

Some more questionable math: 8 waterproof strips plus a naked controller is $1160. 8 strips with 240 pixels each makes it $0.60 per pixel.

1920x1080x0.6 is $1,252,800. Really? Ouch...

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't think it's very practical for that application. A more sophisticated rope light for indirect ambient lighting on the other hand... :twistd:

Handruin

Administrator
Seems I'm collecting a bunch of slightly older hardware these days. My buddy's company was clearing out more older systems so he unloaded three more rack mounted machines. They're 1U custom built machines so there is no brand name that I can find on them.

So far the first one I opened is a 2-socket capable system with only 1 CPU. Now to figure out what if anything I can do with them. They would make a nice play test farm for vmware.

Here's what the stats are:

1U chassis with rails
Supermicro X7DVL-E motherboard
1x Intel Xeon E5320 @ 1.86 GHz.
8GB RAM (4 x 2GB) DDR2 667 @ 1066MHz
2x Hitachi 250 GB drives
PCI-X 3Ware Raid controller

Photo gallery

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The RAM on that thing are expensive. They are FB-DIMM.

This server could e used to perform a few non-CPU intensive jobs. You'll install ESXi on it?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Unfortunately, there's no earthly way to make a 1U system quiet enough to use in a normal home setting.
They could be nice little LAMP servers or maybe they could serve as a testbed for VMs, but I suspect the power bill and noise annoyance would make them unappealing.

But they are probably worth $250 or so if that's what all of them are.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
They could be nice little LAMP servers...

Except I would replace Apache by G.WAN. I'd like to know if it lives up to the hype. I'd install Lubuntu for the Linux distro, because it's light and easy to configure and maintain. Also, MariaDB instead of MySQL, if a database is needed.

But if you can get 250$ for it, that's the best option IMO. One of your four summer tires would be paid.

LunarMist

Mitsubishi makes HD stadium displays. I'm sure they will do 4K if you have the funds.

Handruin

Administrator
The RAM on that thing are expensive. They are FB-DIMM.

This server could e used to perform a few non-CPU intensive jobs. You'll install ESXi on it?

Unfortunately, there's no earthly way to make a 1U system quiet enough to use in a normal home setting.
They could be nice little LAMP servers or maybe they could serve as a testbed for VMs, but I suspect the power bill and noise annoyance would make them unappealing.

But they are probably worth $250 or so if that's what all of them are.

Using as a test bed for experimenting and learning more about VMware vSphere deployments was my objective. They have enough resources to do basic tasks and operations that it might be worth it for a short period of time. The 1U servers are inevitably noisy but surprisingly nowhere near as loud as the 2U system that I have. I don't really need to profit from them. I thought they could serve as a platform learning purpose where I don't have to spend money building machines.