Something Random

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Congrats dd and wife!

Chewy - Sounds like you were very lucky to limp away without being disemboweled by the guard rail. Front tire blowout is my worst fear, sits right alongside deer strike from the side. Here's to all the gear, all the time. Today was the first day I rode my new steed into work, an 85 Goldwing Aspencade with approx 79,000 miles, definitely a handful when stopped/during slow speed maneuvers, but when it's up and moving, just sublime. Like driving a magical La-Z-Boy, yet still very nimble when the inevitable BMW tried to merge into me on the way in. Plus side is I can put my backpack in the rear trunk and don't have that weighing me down/tensing my arms. Only downside is I had to put the side stand down, get off the bike and push it backwards (picture an ant pushing an elephant) into it's parking area, electric reverse didn't exist back in the day.

ddrueding

Fixture
My instructor had a GoldWing when I was first learning to ride. Took it on the track and embarrassed us all; including a stoppie at the end. Those things are beasts.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
If you're talking about appendicitis, two options: go to the emergency room, or call your doc. There is a simple test that will immediately determine if it is appendicitis or not; it involves sitting in a particular posture and drawing up one leg in a certain way. When my daughter was 5 and had severe pain, the pediatrician walked us through this on the phone and ruled out appendicitis.

Don't ignore it. If the appendix bursts, it gets very messy inside and you will have to fight septicemia.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Apparently it is not, but there are other problems. :( I failed a bunch of tests.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Congrats dd and wife!

Chewy - Sounds like you were very lucky to limp away without being disemboweled by the guard rail. Front tire blowout is my worst fear, sits right alongside deer strike from the side. Here's to all the gear, all the time. Today was the first day I rode my new steed into work, an 85 Goldwing Aspencade with approx 79,000 miles, definitely a handful when stopped/during slow speed maneuvers, but when it's up and moving, just sublime. Like driving a magical La-Z-Boy, yet still very nimble when the inevitable BMW tried to merge into me on the way in. Plus side is I can put my backpack in the rear trunk and don't have that weighing me down/tensing my arms. Only downside is I had to put the side stand down, get off the bike and push it backwards (picture an ant pushing an elephant) into it's parking area, electric reverse didn't exist back in the day.

Congratulations on the new bike. Those certainly are a nice bike.

After 9 weeks in the bike shop and stuffing around with the insurance company, I finally got my bike back last night! Oh what a joy to ride to work instead of catching public transport. (I've had more colds in the last 8 weeks, than I have in the last 3 years).

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Where do you folks get your "standard" cables, things like USB or HDMI cables? Reliable and reasonably-priced ones, not Monster-ously expensive.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I thought it was a ViperJet, but the engine exhaust was all wrong... Mind you a Yak-130 (in mil config) is only US$15M, much, much nicer than the L39 ... (comparable to other aircraft in it's class). (Yak-130 is rated to -3G +8G flight envelope and comes with a 30mm cannon to keep those pesky Cessna's 172 out of the way). ;)

But a second hand L39 is only roughly US$200-300K, but it's bigger brother the L159 is slightly more expensive (US$18M).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just saw this on Slashdot and couldn't stop laughing.

I do not believe there are better Xorg drivers available in Linux, including NVidia.

The problem with the intel drivers is that no matter what settings I try all the video playback through emacs is CHOPPY AS HELL!. It's unreadable. The Xorg drivers from NVIdia at least can deinterlace without crashing, but they are still choppy.

ddrueding

Fixture
Will he let you borrow one?

Even if he did (doubtful, considering how little total time I have, and that it is a single seater with with the smoke system in place), I couldn't afford the gas. $1000/hr+ purely in running costs is a conservative number. Him just farting around on the taxiway for a bit cost more than I make in a day.

ddrueding

Fixture
A while ago some people here including Merc were talking about a program that runs on your media computer and transcodes/streams media to other devices. My search skills are so poor that I can't find the thing on Google or here. Help?