Something Random

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I've used the DivX+ player to watch videos and it will stream to other devices too. Can't say I've used that feature though because I generally just watch from the original source file, even if it is somewhere else in the network, rather than stream from player to player. I suppose streaming would be useful if, for some reason, the source wasn't directly accessible for example because of the lack of permissions.

Handruin

Administrator
A while ago some people here including Merc were talking about a program that runs on your media computer and transcodes/streams media to other devices. My search skills are so poor that I can't find the thing on Google or here. Help?

The software I use is called Mezzmo. I use it primarily for streaming audio from my PC to my receiver.

http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/

Plesk may be another tool that has been mentioned before.

Stereodude

Not really a
So last night one at around 11pm of the shut off valves under the faucet in our master bathroom decided to break. Somehow the shaft of the plastic handle broke itself off and it started spraying water into the vanity. After shutting off all the water to the house, soaking up the water with some towels, and getting creative (I melted a slot into the remainder of the plastic shaft still in the valve so I could use a screwdriver to turn it closed and stop it from leaking) and turning the water back on I was feeling pretty clever.

About that time I noticed that water had started to drip from one of the can lights in the ceiling of the great room (which is under the master suite). I quickly put a bowl under it to catch the water. Then, I got out the drill and sawzall and cut myself an access panel in the bottom of the vanity to see if there was a pool of water under it to soak up / suck out. To my surprise there was just a wet spot and no pooled water. Next I got out a ladder and took the can light apart to try to see how much water was up there, how it got to the can light, how far it spread, etc. Unfortunately I couldn't really see much. I drilled a small hole in the ceiling where I thought the water had pooled, but nothing came out. Ultimately, I decided to just let it drip and wait. It stopped not too much later.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to tear the drywall in the ceiling out or not and all that fun stuff as well as replacing the broken valve and patching the hole I cut in the bottom of the vanity. :frusty:

Stereodude

Not really a
Isn't the damage covered by your insurance?
Probably, but I have a $1k deductible and can fix it myself for a fraction of that.

I cut a few holes in the ceiling's drywall with my Dremel and took a look around. I was able to see the extent of where the water spread. It wasn't as wide spread as I feared. It's already looks pretty much dry. I'm going to force warm air into the ceiling joist cavities and leave them open for a few weeks so it will dry out nicely before patching the ceiling. I caught less than a quart of water in my pail, so there wasn't that much water up there.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Sucky situation. Personally I would force dry, air-conditioned air up there. Should have less moisture in it and absorb more consequently.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I replaced the solder-on water cut off for the toilet. By the time everything had cooled I discovered I had melted the internal plastic of the valve enough for the new one to leak. Shark bite to the rescue. PITA.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I had something similar happen last year when the drain pipe in the kitchen sink leaked, and water was coming out of the basement ceiling right under it. You already cut a few holes to air things out which is good enough. Let it dry throughly for about a week, then patch it up. There shouldn't be any long term damage.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have all PEX water lines in my house. The only problem is they get shorter when you work on them since you have to cut off a fitting's worth of plastic every time you replace one. Today I had to use a coupling and add an extra bit of 1/2" "pipe" because there's not much left hanging out of the wall and if I ever had to replace the fitting again there probably wouldn't be enough left to work with.

ddrueding

Fixture
My contractor had issues with PEX at his house. He has fairly hard water from his well, and any place the PEX made a hard turn it was wearing through the pipe after a few years. He said it would have done the same to copper eventually, and the fact that he could make the bends in the PEX more gentle was the better solution.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin is now a fixture. An odd title to reach after eleven and a half years for a guy who's run things the entire time being the scene.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Handruin is now a fixture. An odd title to reach after eleven and a half years for a guy who's run things the entire time being the scene.

It's an inevitable outcome of being in the same place for long enough for the roots to take hold. We'll be bronzing your and Lunar's bar stools soon enough. ;)

Handruin

Administrator

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm rather uncomfortable. I drove for about 3 hours this afternoon and my left arm is quite badly sunburned. I didn't even notice it happening till after. That's what summer driving get you.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought it was hilarious. And frankly Doomberg is an idiot no matter how you slice it.
Sure, it's hilarious, especially the part about fire trucks no longer being able to get into the subway, but it's also amazing some people are making such a big fuss about this. When you talk to rank-and-file members of the general public, probably 95% either like the idea, or have no real opinion one way or another. The minority who are complaining here are those who get driven around Manhattan in limos, as this article mentions.

Bloomberg has done a lot of stupid things, like proposing a cent per ounce soda tax which thankfully didn't see the light of day, but this isn't one of them. Bike share is a supplement to NYC's mass transit system. We're already over 30,000 annual member and 10,000+ trips daily, and the system just opened on Memorial Day.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've started a trend in the company I work for. Every now and then, I use the stairs instead of the elevator to get to the 12th floor where I work. I do it quite fast too. One of the youger guys was looking for a way to improve his stamina and I suggested him to do the same. He did and told the others about the time it took me to do it. Now, all the young men of the company are competing in order to beat my time (I only measured accurately once) and today, one of them did. I climbed the 12 floors in 1m11s and he did it in 1m02s. All the others aren't able to do it in less than 1m20s.

The one who beat my time ran a half marathon last year and of course, he's just 31 years old. I told him I'd try to retake my title Monday, but I'm not too confident about it. I'll have to run the entire 12 floors and waste no time between each turn (2 per floor). I know I can improve my previous time by at least 6 to 8 seconds because I finished the last three floors walking instead of running when I did 1m11s. I don't know if my heart will allow me to run up to the top though.

If you don't hear about me past Monday, it will probably mean that I'll have died trying. It would be the most appropriated way to resume my existence if it ever happens.

BTW, those running the stairs of the Empire State Building up to the top are nuts. 12 floors is already too much, so the Empire State Building, this is crazy.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Meh, you live in skyscapper city and the highest stairs you can take is a 4 floors equivalent. There must be ten times less skyscappers in Montreal than there are in New York and I'm sure I can find at least 10 building with 20 floors or more than I can access. On the top of my head, just remembering what I can see from the window facing me when I work, I can count :

1. Tour de la Bourse
2. Tour Marathon
3. 1000 de la Gauchetière
4. Tour CIBC
5. Tour Verizon
6. National Bank's tower
7. Delta Hotel
8. Marriott Hotel
9. Place Ville-Marie
10. The two towers of the Place Desjardins

I can also think of three other buildings high enough and to which I have access, but I don't know their names. You can't find one in New York????