Something Random

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Too many people don't bother getting their headlights' direction checked regularly.

Stereodude

Not really a
It will probably make other drives blind and cause some accidents.
That's not how they work. They use blue lasers to excite yellow phosphors creating white light. The white light is not collimated. It's very similar to what a white LED does except they're using a blue laser to excite the phosphor instead of a blue LED.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Many HID retrofit kits have horrible edge definition and should be illegal. It's a safety issue.
Interesting possibilities open up as the video shows.
Speaking of lasers, yesterday I was reading that they have now built a rice grain sized laser.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That's not how they work. They use blue lasers to excite yellow phosphors creating white light. The white light is not collimated. It's very similar to what a white LED does except they're using a blue laser to excite the phosphor instead of a blue LED.

Well, whatever it is will be most likely be obnoxious.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, whatever it is will be most likely be obnoxious.

I found your next avatar.

eeyore-1.gif

These systems are capable of identifying other cars and specifically excluding them from the beam. Having a hard time figuring out how this could be any more obnoxious than even old-fashioned headlights.

LunarMist

I'm half-blinded at night by excessively bright car headlights from the other side of the road.
Sorry to be skeptical, but I seriously doubt that the system will be able to identify sh*t on multilane highways with hundreds of cars. I'm sure it's nice for the driver and especially in the outback.
It's like an escalation where everyone will need superbright lights to see ahead of them and overcome the glare, then everyone will have brighter lights, and so on.
My next car will have the Klieg lights. :rofl:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
A friend wanted to trade me his Satellite C655, specs detailed in my signature. He wanted the HDMI and USB 3.0 ports that were provided on my machine that I didn't utilize, and I wanted his obviously faster CPU. The RAM is a bit slower than I'd like, but I figure it really doesn't matter too much once you have RAM speeds in excess of 1 GHz and have an SSD. I can even use dual-channel with this machine, and as a matter of fact, I am right now. I'm using the 4GB SODIMM that came with this machine as well as the one that came with the C55, surprisingly enough it worked. He's still got the 8GB RAM upgrade.

I told him time and time again that his was the superior machine, but he said that if he was after gaming performance he wouldn't have bought a Satellite, and that he was only after the HDMI and USB 3 capabilities of my laptop.

True enough. So now I'm using a Sandy Bridge i3 instead of a Bay Trail Celeron.

LunarMist

I reduced the CPU to 1.18V and ran it for over three hours with no errors. It's good enough for now.

LunarMist

That Juno storm looks awful. I hope you guys in the NE are OK up there.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a file transfer that is pegged at 222kB/s. I have no idea how big the total transfer will be (files are mostly <1MB), but I suspect it will be a few hundred GB.

Source is a telephone system that records phone calls, archive needs to happen through their crappy software running on a local workstation, destination is a NAS on the other end of 3 WAN links. Depressingly none of the WAN links are the bottleneck.

Handruin

Administrator
I have a file transfer that is pegged at 222kB/s. I have no idea how big the total transfer will be (files are mostly <1MB), but I suspect it will be a few hundred GB.

Source is a telephone system that records phone calls, archive needs to happen through their crappy software running on a local workstation, destination is a NAS on the other end of 3 WAN links. Depressingly none of the WAN links are the bottleneck.

Maybe their transfer implementation is overly sensitive to latency? Can you stage it locally and transfer it after it is complete? Mount an iSCSI LUN to the system from your remote NAS.

ddrueding

Fixture
10.5 days for 200GB.

Have you considered a courier instead?

Maybe their transfer implementation is overly sensitive to latency? Can you stage it locally and transfer it after it is complete? Mount an iSCSI LUN to the system from your remote NAS.

The reason I know it isn't speed limited by the WAN links is that I had originally planned to do the file archive locally and then copy them across. It was the same speed going to the workstation that is connected via GbE to the phone system. At that point I decided to not bother with the multi-stage process and just fire the data all the way.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I have a QuakeNet account and a IRC client that I have set to autologin and autojoin a couple channels. I use it for chatting with a few people from another site.

Lunar, just in case you weren't being sarcastic, IRC is short for Internet Relay Chat.

QuakeNet does have a webchat thingy made in what I presume is JavaScript, and it works very well for what it is. It won't do autologin or autojoining though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I left Chrome with one tab open on cc.com (Comedy Central's web site) over night. The only addon I have installed is Adblock Plus. Chrome has six threads and is using a combined 1640MB RAM.

I am going to mention this the next time someone tells me Firefox is a memory hog.