Something Random

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Out of curiosity, do we have an IRC channel?
The only member I remember having chat with is Time, a few years ago, when I set up a computer on which he could open an RDP session via an Hamachi VPN. It was obvious then that my first langage isn't English as I typed slowly my replies. It was barely faster than if I wrote him a letter. You'd have to be patient to chat with me and probably also with the few other members for whom langage isn't their mother tongue.

ddrueding

Fixture
My mother-in-law is an idiot. Before I just thought that she was irrational and liked to waste time doing useless things. Nope, an idiot. Crazy considering she was a cardiologist.

She took the kid in the back yard, where I put in a play table with water and sand. She opened it up and added water. Since then, she has changed the kid every 3-5 minutes into dry clothes.

It is 68F outside, and in the direct sunlight on the concrete (where she is) easily feels like 80F.

ddrueding

Fixture
I entirely agree. The first year she was here for nearly 6 months. The second time was 3 months. This time is 2.5 months (1.5 left). All of these are too long.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know but that is clearly a crap-ton of work and probably even scholarship on the part of the people attempting the restoration.
I agree. I don't have it, but from the YouTube video it looks very arduous and time intensive.

You can probably make bank that Disney being the money whores they are will likely release the originals if they think there's money to be made. Reportedly Fox loses the distribution rights in 2020.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My mother-in-law is an idiot. Before I just thought that she was irrational and liked to waste time doing useless things. Nope, an idiot. Crazy considering she was a cardiologist.

She took the kid in the back yard, where I put in a play table with water and sand. She opened it up and added water. Since then, she has changed the kid every 3-5 minutes into dry clothes.

It is 68F outside, and in the direct sunlight on the concrete (where she is) easily feels like 80F.
At least she spends time with your daughter. Children don't really see and care about the judgment errors adults do. But they notice the time we spend playing and taking care of them. She might not be a light bulb, but she obviously care about your daughter. I believe there's credit to be given for that.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
With the watch, maybe. Otherwise, wearing a bracelet isn't my thing. :p

Also, I did notice the A concourse of the McNamara Terminal of the Detroit airport (DTW) in their promo video...

For gay construction workers?

ddrueding

Fixture
At least she spends time with your daughter. Children don't really see and care about the judgment errors adults do. But they notice the time we spend playing and taking care of them. She might not be a light bulb, but she obviously care about your daughter. I believe there's credit to be given for that.

Quite so. Liza is lucky in that all the people who could be a part of her life have chosen to take an active role. It's just unfortunate that they aren't all perfect role models.

LunarMist

I had my head examined again, but they still can't find anything. Supposedly I am normal. How can that be possible?

LunarMist

Apparent ly some tissues are a little thick, but no pathological features were observed.

Stereodude

Not really a
So it seems the Gigabyte motherboard in my SandyBridge box decided to die today. It was working fine, I powered it off to swap a drive out of it for testing, and it wouldn't turn back on. The only thing of note that happened during that process is that I touched the case and got a decent shock (static discharge) while it was off. The power supply seems okay. I tried it with another power supply with no luck. I tried clearing the CMOS, unplugging all the drives from it, removing the RAM. All the usual stuff, but it's completely dead. It seems LGA 1155 motherboards aren't exactly common anymore and I have extremely limited limited choices. Especially if I don't want a refurb. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 looks like the best I'm going to do. At least it has enough PCI-e slots and SATA ports to replace the old one.

LunarMist

So it seems the Gigabyte motherboard in my SandyBridge box decided to die today. It was working fine, I powered it off to swap a drive out of it for testing, and it wouldn't turn back on. The only thing of note that happened during that process is that I touched the case and got a decent shock (static discharge) while it was off. The power supply seems okay. I tried it with another power supply with no luck. I tried clearing the CMOS, unplugging all the drives from it, removing the RAM. All the usual stuff, but it's completely dead. It seems LGA 1155 motherboards aren't exactly common anymore and I have extremely limited limited choices. Especially if I don't want a refurb. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 looks like the best I'm going to do. At least it has enough PCI-e slots and SATA ports to replace the old one.

Why don't you buy a Haswell CPU and board? You can probably reuse the RAM.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why don't you buy a Haswell CPU and board? You can probably reuse the RAM.
Because I'd have to buy another CPU and use up another Windows license. This i7-2600k works just fine.

I went to MicroCenter, picked up a Z77 Extreme4, and have it all working now. Windows no longer thinks its activated, but apparently MS will allow for the replacement of failed mobo since the license otherwise is tied to the motherboard.

LunarMist

Because I'd have to buy another CPU and use up another Windows license. This i7-2600k works just fine.

I went to MicroCenter, picked up a Z77 Extreme4, and have it all working now. Windows no longer thinks its activated, but apparently MS will allow for the replacement of failed mobo since the license otherwise is tied to the motherboard.

Great.

Interestingly enough, when I switched from that defective 980X system to the 5930K, I was able to reactivate the Windows 7 with the new board/CPU/RAM. Perhaps it was because the SSDs, optical drives, hard drives, etc. were the same. I was rather surprised though.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I had an Intel-branded Sandy bridge board die completely just a couple of months back. I was able to reactivate Windows 7 with the Haswell/Asus H97 combo that replaced it, although like Lunar, I re-used the SSD boot drive.

ddrueding

Fixture
Powers out. I only have ~3 hours of UPS for everything before I kick into the emergency system (12hr UPS for modem/router and a laptop). Then I get the genset out.

LunarMist

Powers out. I only have ~3 hours of UPS for everything before I kick into the emergency system (12hr UPS for modem/router and a laptop). Then I get the genset out.

The generator doesn't kick in automatically?

ddrueding

Fixture
Power outages are so rare here it isn't worth it to have one wired in, though I'll probably put in the hook up for that when I put in solar. This was the first power outage in years, and it only lasted about 25 minutes.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's not unusual for me to have three outages a week in the spring and early summer. Lots of wind and lots of old trees equals lots of time in the dark. I have UPSes but past a certain point there's just not much I can do about it.

ddrueding

Fixture
This is the windiest it has been in a number of years. I decided to remove the trees on the property that were >15' when we moved in, and I pay to have my neighbor's trees pruned if they get close to my property (with their consent of course).

LunarMist

Power outages are so rare here it isn't worth it to have one wired in, though I'll probably put in the hook up for that when I put in solar. This was the first power outage in years, and it only lasted about 25 minutes.

Oh, somehow I thought it was work related.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. All my work sites of any significance have auto-switching UPS and gensets with giant fuel tanks. The batteries are only ~15 minutes (long enough to troubleshoot the genset or get some gas worst-case). Normally the generator goes from off to producing power in ~30 seconds, and auto-tests every Friday @ 1PM.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nope. All my work sites of any significance have auto-switching UPS and gensets with giant fuel tanks. The batteries are only ~15 minutes (long enough to troubleshoot the genset or get some gas worst-case). Normally the generator goes from off to producing power in ~30 seconds, and auto-tests every Friday @ 1PM.
That's odd, we test our generator every Friday at 1pm too. It must be the default setting.

Stereodude

Not really a
Test as in fire it up, or actually fake a power failure and make sure everything works and switches over automatically as it's supposed to?

How pissed off does everyone get when something fails and they lose their work?

LunarMist

Test as in fire it up, or actually fake a power failure and make sure everything works and switches over automatically as it's supposed to?

How pissed off does everyone get when something fails and they lose their work?

Normally a weekly test is not the whole facility on the system, but the generators starting and running for time under some other load.
If there are $250-500K in time and materials lost, somebody is not happy. That's why they have generators.
Servers, instruments, and data acquisition PCs are on local or area/group UPS systems.

ddrueding

Fixture
At the work facilities with such equipment there is usually a power failure every quarter or so, and that is more frequent than any testing I'd bother with. The most common issue with the system is a mechanical with the generator. The most common minor issue is someone plugging their computer into the white (generator only) outlets instead of the red (battery-backed, continuous) outlet. My biggest headache is when people decide to plug space-heaters or coffee machines (or other high-draw, low priority items) into the battery system.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Only our servers and a few (five I think) other computers are on the UPS/generator combo. The weekly test only involves running the generator for ~10 minutes. We've had a short outage last week and the entire building went dark, except for the servers. The power protection does its job.