Something Random

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Great.

Interestingly enough, when I switched from that defective 980X system to the 5930K, I was able to reactivate the Windows 7 with the new board/CPU/RAM. Perhaps it was because the SSDs, optical drives, hard drives, etc. were the same. I was rather surprised though.

I had an Intel-branded Sandy bridge board die completely just a couple of months back. I was able to reactivate Windows 7 with the Haswell/Asus H97 combo that replaced it, although like Lunar, I re-used the SSD boot drive.

I remember reading something a while ago along the lines of, "After 120 days Microsoft no longer keeps track of the key" so you can re-activate that key again? Might have been during the XP days though.

Handruin

Administrator
On my previous main desktop system I had started with Windows 8.0 and upgraded to win 8.1. I ran that for a while until building a whole new machine. I did a clean install on the new system and reused the same Windows 8.0 key without any issues reactivating it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have in the past been known to abuse the crap out of a single Win8.1 key. Every time I call the phone number and tell them that "the total number of computers installed with this copy of windows" is "0". It always gives me an activation code.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I replaced feet with the new Chinese feet and they are really nice and smooth. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Something odd happened today. My clothes dryer stopped heating the laundry last week, so drying took forever. Like most things that fail me, I ended up kicking it. The bump on the side caused noise due to the friction with the inside drum. It was unusable. Fast forward this afternoon, I decided to open it to try to fix it. No idea where the heating element is, but I managed to push the side metal sheet far enough from the drum so that it can at least turn freely. After I finished reassembling it, I started a run with some wet clothes that I washed just a few hours before. After ten minutes, I put my hand on the side and ...it's warm! I don't what I or how I did it, but I fixed my dryer.

If I ever become tired of working with networks and computers, I could be the fucking Maytag repair guy!

LunarMist

How old is the unit and is it worth repairing? Don't mess it up too much and end up with a gas leak.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
How old is the unit and is it worth repairing? Don't mess it up too much and end up with a gas leak.
It's a full electrical model and it's between 12 and 15 years old, I don't remember.

Not leaving scars on the repaired appliance leaves the fun out of it. I guess I'll never switch fields.

LunarMist

At that point any use you can get out of it is better than the scrap heap I guess.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It is very possible that your element wore through and your kick temporarily lodged the two pieces together. This is a pretty big hazard considering all of the lint that has probably accumulated over the 10-15 years. I'd advise looking at it more thoroughly.

On a side note I bought a pair of the nice whirlpool set, used but aesthetically good about a year ago. The washer was free with the dryer because it had stopped working. Less than $100 part replacement later and it is good as new.

ddrueding

Fixture
About a year ago I had good fun nearly completely disassembling our washing machine. One of the first Samsung units (10 years old now?). I'd done quite a number on the dryer a couple times in the past when converting it from Natural Gas to Propane and back. Funny that in my head they are still labeled as "new".

Handruin

Administrator
I decided to give Massdrop a try. I've been wanting a multi-track audio recorder for quite some time. The Zoom H4N had been on my wishlist for more than a year but I never pulled the trigger on it because it wasn't 100% what I wanted. Since enough time had passed, Zoom updated to the H5 and I recently participated in a Massdrop for this specific unit. They've corrected the things I didn't like and overall it seems to have very good reviews. The massdrop met the number of people needed to get the best discount which made the unit $40 cheaper than you can get on Amazon or B&H with no tax and free shipping. I have some projects coming up that I wanted to work on and this should fit the bill.

Stereodude

Not really a
I decided to give Massdrop a try. I've been wanting a multi-track audio recorder for quite some time. The Zoom H4N had been on my wishlist for more than a year but I never pulled the trigger on it because it wasn't 100% what I wanted. Since enough time had passed, Zoom updated to the H5 and I recently participated in a Massdrop for this specific unit. They've corrected the things I didn't like and overall it seems to have very good reviews. The massdrop met the number of people needed to get the best discount which made the unit $40 cheaper than you can get on Amazon or B&H with no tax and free shipping. I have some projects coming up that I wanted to work on and this should fit the bill.
I'm a bit jaded after my AKG K7XX experience. The headphones buzz in left channel when low frequencies test tones are played at any audible volume. The right channel is fine. Other headphones I have don't have this problem. So far neither MassDrop or AKG have stepped up to rectify the situation. I haven't been too persistent in hounding them, but MassDrop hasn't delivered promised updates. Your post reminded me to ping them for an update though.

Handruin

Administrator
This is my first experience with Massdrop so I can't say (yet) how good or bad they are. My Zoom H5 should arrive either today or tomorrow and I can report back how it went but I'm only a tiny sample size. So far they've communicated as expected and the unit shipped quickly. I have no complaints there. It's of course not like Amazon or newegg because you have to wait for the supplier to ship to Massdrop and then they ship theirs out but in my case the price savings is worth the wait.

I did wonder what happens if the unit arrives defective but I'll cross that bridge if it happens.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I did get a reply from MassDrop. Apparently AKG is repairing / replacing all the defective headphones and covering shipping both ways, so I just need to contact them and get the process started.