Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Cases are not mandatory. Only one of my last dozen PCs ever ended up in a case.

True, but I'm just not as comfortable as you are using a machine as a bare board. I don't have the open table space for laying out the pieces, I've got to have SOMETHING to secure that stuff to.

Found my x4 630... gonna have to spend a couple hours tonight bending pins back the way they should be and then I'll try the chip in the board I've got. If it works, that will be the end of it. The 2x2GB RAM kit would be nice though. Despite what the page for the board says, this will take 4GB -- it had that much for almost a year.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Pins got bent back to where they should be. A couple more broke off, looking at the datasheet I think they're just redundant ground pins. Board refuses to POST with the 630 in. Figures. Have the 4400+ back where it belongs.

But because I don't know for certain that the 630 will work and I have no boards handy to test, I'm just going to skip trying to upgrade anything but the RAM until I have the money for something completely brand new.

Thanks for all the help guys but I think I've botched this one...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually the ground pins aren't redundant. They have all those ground pins because these CPUs at full throttle suck a few tens of amps from the CPU power supply. If you have a few less paths to ground, ripple increases, and the CPU might either be unstable, or fail to work at all. That said, CPUs aren't at full throttle when POSTing. If it failed to POST, it was likely dead even without the broken off ground pins.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Cases are not mandatory. Only one of my last dozen PCs ever ended up in a case.

Are you screwing motherboard post mounts into wood? What alternatives are you using. Think of resurrecting my old system as a linux playground but have no case for it now. So I was thinking of just screwing motherboard posts into a piece of wood.

ddrueding

Fixture
Are you screwing motherboard post mounts into wood? What alternatives are you using. Think of resurrecting my old system as a linux playground but have no case for it now. So I was thinking of just screwing motherboard posts into a piece of wood.

My most common solution is a piece of cardboard to prevent the motherboard from shorting on the metal shelves in the rack. I position the boards at the edge of the shelf so that the longer part of the PCI card covers extends below the shelf. If I'm not putting the system on a shelf with an overhang, I either remove the PCI covers or use the motherboard box to create an edge. In the past I've screwed motherboards directly to wood, or in one case directly to the wall of my office (picture attached). Mounting things gets in the way of upgrades and troubleshooting, though water cooling favors more stable installs with more ways to secure stuff.

4637542568_059fd3d776_b.jpg

Edit: And yes, I was water cooling bootable PCIe SSDs 6 years ago.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
My theory is that it refused to POST because the board doesn't support it, not because the chip is bad. However, without another board to test with, I have no concrete evidence of that.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think the Korean woman threw one of my shoes out of the window. :crap:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!

Cryptic as usual.

We should just start typing "CaU" after Lunar posts.

Yep...I agree. Should be an interesting tale if someone is willing to put the effort in to ask for the details.

My OCD has been triggered. Thanks. ;)

It was the right shoe. Brown leather.

While this information is somewhat interesting, it doesn't supply the answer to the most important question. That question being, " _WHY_ did this Korean woman throw one of your shoes out the window?"

Additional questions while were all here and listening: Did you actually see her throw the shoe out of the windows? Was this a window in a multi-storied hotel/building or simply a ground floor window? Were any screens damaged as said shoe went flying out the window? Were you able to recover said shoe? Did said shoe incur any damage? If the shoe was damaged is it repairable or is a replacement pair in order? Were any Law Enforcement agencies called to report said Korean Woman? Were any innocent civilians scared, injured, or god-forbid killed because of said shoe flying out the window?

We need answers man. ANSWERS.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!

We should just start typing "CaU" after Lunar posts.

My OCD has been triggered. Thanks. ;)

While this information is somewhat interesting, it doesn't supply the answer to the most important question. That question being, " _WHY_ did this Korean woman throw one of your shoes out the window?"

Additional questions while were all here and listening: Did you actually see her throw the shoe out of the windows? Was this a window in a multi-storied hotel/building or simply a ground floor window? Were any screens damaged as said shoe went flying out the window? Were you able to recover said shoe? Did said shoe incur any damage? If the shoe was damaged is it repairable or is a replacement pair in order? Were any Law Enforcement agencies called to report said Korean Woman? Were any innocent civilians scared, injured, or god-forbid killed because of said shoe flying out the window?

We need answers man. ANSWERS.

I had to take off pants (and naturally the shoes) due to an incident at the party.
Then she was acting very strangely, making bizarre comments about my shoes and laughing excessively.
The only shoe left was under a bed, which cannot just be a coincidence.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm pretty sure it was a window on a moving bus going 55MPH driven by Keanu Reeves.

This. Probably this. But maybe we can get some "non-cryptic" answer from Lunar.

I had to take off pants (and naturally the shoes) due to an incident at the party.
Then she was acting very strangely, making bizarre comments about my shoes and laughing excessively.
The only shoe left was under a bed, which cannot just be a coincidence.

CaU.

That didn't clarify things much. Just more questions now. You were taking off your shoes and pants in front of said Korean woman because of an incident at a party?

<rubs hands together>

This could get very interesting.

What incident?
How strange?
What bizarre comments?
Why did your shoes cause said Korean woman to laugh?
Was she actually laughing at said shoes or at you, with your pants off?
How/why is said shoe under the bed?
Coincidence?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Was it a North Korean woman, or a South Korean woman?

It was the right shoe. Brown leather.
Here's the story being the left shoe. Might also be why it was under the bed.

They sell specialized underwear for these kind of incidents. Since you approach your senior years, it wouldn't be unusual to consider start wearing those.

LunarMist

Just how old do you think I am? I thought we were in the same ballpark.

Stereodude

Not really a
So after spending most of the night trying to clean install Windows 7 Pro SP1 on a system I have nothing but hostile thoughts about Microsoft. Windows Update won't work unless you manually install a KB patch which requires ending several processes before that will even install. After that the system finds like 154 updates, but it can't install them all successfully and hangs. TrustedInstaller was using over 6.5gB of RAM when I aborted the Windows update process. I tried to reboot, but it hung doing nothing before it shut down. I had to force it to power off. Now it hangs at startup. I guess I will be wiping it and starting over, though I don't have any reasonable expectation that the same thing won't just happen again.

Edit: Maybe it's not hung. After sitting for 5+ minutes the completion percentage moved a few. This is unreal. It's a 4 core Xeon (with HT) with 32gB of RAM and a 250gB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. It shouldn't be doing anything slowly.

Stereodude

Not really a
Any particular reason you are installing 7? Going for an upgrade?
The price was right on a Windows 7 Pro license. Also trying to eliminate variables when getting the machine up and running since I know 7 much better than 10. However, I was thinking to put Windows 10 on it before putting it into service.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You're the guinea pig, SD. Let me know how it goes. I will follow intrepid SD. I have a spare Win 7 key from Technet that I hope to be able to use.

Handruin

Administrator
You're the guinea pig, SD. Let me know how it goes. I will follow intrepid SD. I have a spare Win 7 key from Technet that I hope to be able to use.

I did a Win 7 pro to Win 10 upgrade and it was fine.

Stereodude

Not really a
At the rate I'm going I'll be lucky if I can even get Windows 7 Pro installed. I'm on my 4th clean install. :cursin:

Install #1: I got Windows 7 Home Premium because the tool to make the USB key from the .ISO didn't honor the flag in the filesystem to remove the ei.cfg file from ISO. Instead it put it on the stick so it installed Home Premium instead of prompting me for what which version I wanted. I deleted the file manually and started the install over.

Install #2: I mentioned in my early morning post. I'm was not sure it actually installed all the updates, but it thought it did. When it seemed hung and I cancelled the install process it said it was on update #138 (IE 11). After a variety of reboots it finally got back to the desktop, but it said all the updates installed. I didn't believe it and didn't have any warm fuzzies about the process, so I wiped it and tried for #3.

Install #3: I installed the KB3102810 before connecting it to the Internet. A thread online also said to install the System Update Readiness pack. So I did that too. After giving it internet access Windows update was totally dead. I got an error code 80244019. The MS guide to resolve it was useless. At step #13 I had no Software Licensing service to click on. I found some other MS tool that was supposed to fix Windows Update. That didn't work either. So I wiped it and started install #4.

Install #4: I only installed KB3102810 before giving it internet access. After letting it sit for a while it finally decided there were 154 updates it wanted to install. I unchecked IE 11 since that was the update it appeared to hang on with install #2 and let go while I went to work. Who knows what I'm going to get... :scratch:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
How would someone just happen to hint that a shoe under the bed? The window was partly open and roman shades askew.

AHA! Someone wanted you to find the shoe, the plot thickens. Perhaps both the excessive laughter and window gap were a ruse to keep your shoes. Maybe the dog ate it.

ddrueding

Fixture
In the past we've discussed YouTube Red and whether it was positive for creators, this guy does a lot of this stuff and seems to think it is a pretty good thing.

[video=youtube_share;kBwCRPlpFXU]https://youtu.be/kBwCRPlpFXU[/video]

Stereodude

Not really a
Install #4: I only installed KB3102810 before giving it internet access. After letting it sit for a while it finally decided there were 154 updates it wanted to install. I unchecked IE 11 since that was the update it appeared to hang on with install #2 and let go while I went to work. Who knows what I'm going to get... :scratch:
So this worked... Other people on Hardforum reported the same issue with Windows Update churning endlessly.

It's probably best to install IE 11 first so you don't bother installing a bunch of useless updates for IE 8. Also, it's probably a decent idea to install the updates in small batches instead of trying for 150+ all at once. It uses a lot of RAM to do it in one shot, like more than 6gB. So, if you don't have enough RAM it'll use swap which is less than ideal, especially if you're using a HDD.

Stereodude

Not really a
The fact that Windows Update is this stupid after being around for over 20 years baffles me.
I suspect the poor performance is intentional so people will get frustrated and be more inclined to migrate to Windows 10. Windows XP had similar issues with Windows Update near the end of its life. Of course Windows 7 has several years to go...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
So this worked... Other people on Hardforum reported the same issue with Windows Update churning endlessly.

It's probably best to install IE 11 first so you don't bother installing a bunch of useless updates for IE 8. Also, it's probably a decent idea to install the updates in small batches instead of trying for 150+ all at once. It uses a lot of RAM to do it in one shot, like more than 6gB. So, if you don't have enough RAM it'll use swap which is less than ideal, especially if you're using a HDD.

When I had to re-install Windows 8 (from the recovery partition on the HDD) and then upgrade to 8.1, and then get all the updates for 8.1, this is what I did; selected updates that totaled about 100 MB at a time, let it update, rebooted, then selected the next batch. Tremendously tedious, boring and tiring, but worked without a hitch. Such is reality :(

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I run Autopatcher on a different computer to download the updates. Then put it on a stick and run the installer on the clean install of Win 7. Works great but the install still takes some time.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I suspect the poor performance is intentional so people will get frustrated and be more inclined to migrate to Windows 10. Windows XP had similar issues with Windows Update near the end of its life. Of course Windows 7 has several years to go...

I'm not sure. I've had numerous issues with Windows 7 before 8 or 10 were ever released.

LunarMist

I may have to be relocated due to external forces. :(
Is it possible to keep my email address given that I won't have a home phone? My cell phone is a different company. Thanks.