Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
That depends on who is currently running your e-mail. I'm a firm believer that everyone should have their own domain, that way they can keep their e-mail address no matter what and have whomever they like run it for them (among other advantages). Cost is well under $100/year for all of it, setup time is about an hour and maintenance is 10 minutes a year.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
If you have web based email, you get to keep it. If your email ID is provided by your ISP, then you get to keep it if your ISP operates in your new location, else not.

Even if you won't have a home phone, you can still be reached on your cell phone, so what's the worry?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the posts on this page.

Stereodude

Not really a
So PayPal has decided that my access of my PayPal account from China was suspicious and is forcing me to change the password. Apparently PayPal doesn't think anyone travels internationally or something.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So PayPal has decided that my access of my PayPal account from China was suspicious and is forcing me to change the password. Apparently PayPal doesn't think anyone travels internationally or something.

It's ironic, considering that eBay

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

I wonder what percentage of PayPal account holders travel internationally. My guess; Americans traveling to China and accessing their PayPal acct < Chinese hackers trying to hack into PayPal accts. A request to change password would seem prudent.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wonder what percentage of PayPal account holders travel internationally. My guess; Americans traveling to China and accessing their PayPal acct < Chinese hackers trying to hack into PayPal accts. A request to change password would seem prudent.
But I thought PayPal was new money. ;)

Okay, but lets think about this. In order for account to have been accessed in China they'd need the password. So they require me to change the password after I log in to PayPal's main site, which the "hacker" in China could have done too because they'd have the PW to have made the access in the first place. And they had no problems letting a large number of eBay purchases, paid for with PayPal, go through since then. Each time I had to enter my password (accounts are not linked) and they didn't stop a thing or even give me a popup.

Seems like if the suspected fraud they should have locked the account and sent me an e-mail (that would likely be mistaken for a phishing scam and get deleted).

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd like to just state here that PayPal sucks. SolarCity routes all credit card purchases through them, and accidentally overcharged me. The refund from SolarCity was processed, but still hasn't shown on my credit card. I fear that it will eventually show as a PayPal balance instead of a card credit and will take additional time to get back on the card. I wouldn't mind so much but it's $13k+

I didn't want to do business with PayPal, but them offering their "services" to other companies is just awful.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sorry. I simply saw...

So PayPal has decided that my access of my PayPal account from China was suspicious and is forcing me to change the password.

... and thought you logged into PayPal from China, then later PayPal asked for a PW reset, not realizing you had made several purchases since your Chinese login but before you got the PW reset request.

And they had no problems letting a large number of eBay purchases, paid for with PayPal, go through since then. Each time I had to enter my password (accounts are not linked) and they didn't stop a thing or even give me a popup.

Seems like if the suspected fraud they should have locked the account and sent me an e-mail.

Well yeah, that's kinda stoopid asking for a PW reset after many subsequent PayPal transactions since your login from China. I agree. Immediately after your initial login from a Chinese IP address PayPal should have given you a popup asking for some kind of ID/ACCOUNT verification right then, before you could continued to use PayPal.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd like to just state here that PayPal sucks. SolarCity routes all credit card purchases through them, and accidentally overcharged me. The refund from SolarCity was processed, but still hasn't shown on my credit card. I fear that it will eventually show as a PayPal balance instead of a card credit and will take additional time to get back on the card. I wouldn't mind so much but it's $13k+

I didn't want to do business with PayPal, but them offering their "services" to other companies is just awful.

"accidentally overcharged me" I read that and instantly thought BULLSHIT!!!

Did you have any indication that they would use PayPal for the credit transaction? Did you hand then your CC and they ran it through like you've seen countless other merchants do not suspecting PayPal was involved.

That's some scary shit right there.

Can't imagine the anger you are gonna feel when you find out you have a multi-thousand dollar "credit" on PayPal.

Contact your CC company now? SolarCity gonna claim we re-funded PayPal and you have to wait for PayPal to refund your CC.

Police report? Contact PG&E and report SolarCity fraud? I'm pissed just thinking about your situation.

I hope all works out well.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wow! It's almost two weeks of your salary.
Closer to 10 once the tax man is happy.
Probably about 5 weeks of my after tax earnings based on the really busy January I've had.
Another thing I didn't think I would read. JTR earning twice as much as David.

That's like having someone telling me, twelve years ago, that I would weight 20lbs more than Merc someday. Well, it happened too.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Another thing I didn't think I would read. JTR earning twice as much as David.
Mind you that's just for January. Based on my earnings since I've started this consulting gig I earn roughly about the same as David. For as long as it lasts, anyway.

That's like having someone telling me, twelve years ago, that I would weight 20lbs more than Merc someday. Well, it happened too.
Same here. I'm at least 20 pounds more than Merc, although I lost some weight over the last two months.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I lost some weight over the last two months.

I've been 205# (±3#) the last 10+ years. But just recently I weighed myself and I was 'only' 197#. Not sure why as nothing has changed diet/exercise wise. Got me thinking about how I need to up my exercise and reduce my food intake a bit.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been 205# (±3#) the last 10+ years. But just recently I weighed myself and I was 'only' 197#. Not sure why as nothing has changed diet/exercise wise. Got me thinking about how I need to up my exercise and reduce my food intake a bit.
Actually, I do know why. Part of it was riding 225 miles in December. Another part was just being busy. When I'm not busy, I sometimes tend to eat more out of boredom. But mainly I find if I ride 3000 to 4000 miles a year my weight will eventually stabilize at 165 or 170 after a few years and I can still eat my fill. Problem is I don't ride that much consistently. I barely got over 1000 miles last two years on account of the consulting gig. I'll try to do better this year but I may not until I'm back to having lots more free time.

I've also noted food manufacturers seem to be using high-fructose corn syrup a bit less. That may account for some weight loss. HFCS suppresses the mechanisms which tell you to stop eating. That's one reason fast food places try to get you to fill up on soda.

LunarMist

If you have web based email, you get to keep it. If your email ID is provided by your ISP, then you get to keep it if your ISP operates in your new location, else not.

Even if you won't have a home phone, you can still be reached on your cell phone, so what's the worry?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the posts on this page.

No. I will get a new local phone number, but not with the same telephone company. Obviously I should have thought of that twelve years ago, but did not.
I have about 5 phone numbers, two for work and about 3 for personal use. I don't use any personal cell phone numbers for phone calls, because that is what people expect. ;)
If someone asks the mobile numbers I can truly say "I don't know" and not register a blip.

ddrueding

Fixture
"accidentally overcharged me" I read that and instantly thought BULLSHIT!!!

Did you have any indication that they would use PayPal for the credit transaction? Did you hand then your CC and they ran it through like you've seen countless other merchants do not suspecting PayPal was involved.

That's some scary shit right there.

Can't imagine the anger you are gonna feel when you find out you have a multi-thousand dollar "credit" on PayPal.

Contact your CC company now? SolarCity gonna claim we re-funded PayPal and you have to wait for PayPal to refund your CC.

Police report? Contact PG&E and report SolarCity fraud? I'm pissed just thinking about your situation.

I hope all works out well.

Not that scary, and more my fault. The e-mail they sent asking for payment was a link to Paypal. I'd already paid 50% up front, and the second link stated "remaining balance of $26k+" and never showed a confirmation page. Sure enough, the charge was for the full amount, so I've now overpaid 50%. Wanting as little to do with PayPal as possible, I didn't even sign in to make the transaction, instead choosing "continue without logging in". SolarCity responds immediately and files a refund for the first payment, which would make us right. Of course, the first payment had already been processed and paid by Amex, and the Amex bill paid by me. I now need to figure out whether Paypal has already refunded to Amex and I have a beef with them, or if PayPal has instead put the credit on one of the three PayPal accounts that credit card is registered with.

I still have several weeks before the current Amex bill is due, but I don't have the money handy to make the payment without the refund going through. If I don't get a resolution soon I'll need to move some assets around to make sure I'm not giving Amex any interest...

LunarMist

They are sending me to the frozen northern central states and I noticed some bullshit in the car rentals. There is a ridiculous daily rate for the optional satellite radio. :cursin:
The fees from less than two weeks of rentals would pay for an entire year of service. How do they even control the service?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
They are sending me to the frozen northern central states and I noticed some bullshit in the car rentals. There is a ridiculous daily rate for the optional satellite radio. :cursin:
The fees from less than two weeks of rentals would pay for an entire year of service. How do they even control the service?

I didn't buy xm after the 3 month trial when I got the car. I mostly listen to the local radio or my music collection. But their renewal offers are ridiculous. And they've kept calling even after I told them I'm not interested. They're just too expensive. I have no idea how they make money.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why is it when an eBay seller takes my first "Make Offer" I always think I must have offered too much? :scratch:

Sure, I got the $99 item for $75, but for some reason I'm always left to wonder how much less I could have paid... :skepo:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Why is it when an eBay seller takes my first "Make Offer" I always think I must have offered too much? :scratch:

Sure, I got the $99 item for $75, but for some reason I'm always left to wonder how much less I could have paid... :skepo:

I think your gut is right.

ddrueding

Fixture
And where did you find that beast still deployed?

Boss' house. Home office. Silly to have a home office if your corporate headquarters is <1mi away and the living room PC can do everything anyway. Hasn't been used in years, and the CRT monitor still works.

Our two SolidWorks workers have this mouse at the office. They say they couldn't work without it.

I'm already seeing the benefits, it just isn't the flawlessly intuitive thing I was expecting. I can imagine once I get good it will be a world of difference.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got the employees of my local Deja Vu so hooked on Cards Against Humanity that nighttime dancers actually started coming in on their off time because t's all the daytime shift people talk about. We had an 11 person game this evening and most of the players were dancers in street clothes.

I leave more than a couple actual customers come in. This usually isn't a problem until 4PM or so. I have no idea why that place opens at noon.

LunarMist

I got the employees of my local Deja Vu so hooked on Cards Against Humanity that nighttime dancers actually started coming in on their off time because t's all the daytime shift people talk about. We had an 11 person game this evening and most of the players were dancers in street clothes.

I leave more than a couple actual customers come in. This usually isn't a problem until 4PM or so. I have no idea why that place opens at noon.

Maybe I'm dense not to understand most of the first sentence, but after 4PM many people start to get off from work.

ddrueding

Fixture
I love that game. I do my best to not reveal how rough some of the cards are when explaining the rules to new players. The look on their face during the first few rounds is priceless.