Something Random

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If he claimed it was a specific for-sale version and the specific version includes items that he did not intend to provide he needs to specifically call them out.

Stereodude

Not really a
If he claimed it was a specific for-sale version and the specific version includes items that he did not intend to provide he needs to specifically call them out.
His claim is that this:

"You receive 3-D Blue Ray; slip cover, and case.

Note: No other items are included.
"

Is completely clear as to what the buyer should expect to receive. I'm not seeing it because the whole set of discs and content is generically called a 3D Blu-ray. :dunno:

From what I can tell from eBay's listing prices adding additional pictures (up to 12 total) and additional words to the listing would not have cost him any more. So from my perspective he intentionally made a confusing / unclear / potentially misleading listing.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Why don't you buy from the normal stores or is that out of production?
I'm trying to save a few bucks. 3D Blu-ray's (the entire set of content, not the single disc) tend to be expensive like $25-35 (for major releases). It's not uncommon to find them in the $15 range on eBay, though it's less common now than it was last fall when I started buying. For example, The Martian 3D Blu-ray is $24.75 at Amazon and $29.99 at Best Buy. I bought my copy on eBay a few weeks ago, new, for $15 shipped. Minions is only $16.99 at BB and Amazon right now, but $13 from eBay was still a savings of $4. Some 3D Blu-rays get cheaper over time, some don't. A few were in the discount bins at Walmart last year for $3.96 and $6.96 during Black Friday. I don't know the method to the madness.

This is the first time I've had this specific problem and I've bought a relatively large number of 3D Blu-ray discs on eBay. Most sellers listings are extremely clear. Now, I've gotten one or two discs that were scratched up and wouldn't play smoothly, the sellers trip all over themselves apologizing and give a full refund and pay for return shipping. I've also gotten a non 3D version of a movie once or twice. The sellers always apologize profusely and take them back too with a full refund and cover return shipping.

Also, many times 3D Blu-rays are cheaper outside the US. I just ordered five 3D movies from an online shop in Mexico and paid $11 each (average) after shipping. Two of the titles were never released on 3D Blu-ray in the US like Need for Speed. Three of the titles like Pan and Monster's University are much more expensive in the US. For example, Pan is $27.99 at Amazon and $37.99 at Best Buy for the 3D version. It was 222 pesos (~$12) when I ordered it. Another, Monsters University is $37.99 at both BB and Amazon for the 3D version. It was 199 pesos (~10.75$). So the case and artwork is in Spanish, but the disc has the same content as the US release and has English menus. I can live with that for those kinds of savings. Mexico is still Region A for BD so no problems there.

You can also venture outside of Region A also for 2D and 3D Blu-rays. A lot of movies and TV shows are Region Free. I picked up the The Hobbit Trilogy 3D Extended Edition from the UK for ~$45 total shipped. In the US each individual Extended Edition 3D movie is $40-45 at Amazon and $40-60 Best Buy. This 15 disc set is Region Free and are 1080p24 just like Blu-rays sold here. There is no such thing as a PAL Blu-ray. There are 1080i50 Blu-rays in Europe, but they're pretty much only for some TV shows and are not very common. Regardless of region coding those don't play in most US stand alone BD players, but a PC or media device will have no issues if you rip them. So, if you do a little research before buying you can save a lot of money and escape the media cartel in the US.

ddrueding

Fixture
LAN night at my place, family is out of town. Fun times and easy; all the computers and game licenses are mine. Slowest machine is 2x 290X, all are 32" 4k displays.

2016-07-19 19.24.21.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
We played CnC: Generals Zero Hour and Battlefield 4.

This was a really interesting experience. The people that came over used to work for me or were regulars at the game center I owned in Monterey. At the time they were kids or close to (oldest was 19). Now they are in their mid-20s and manage or own a business of their own. When they were kids I'd buy the pizza; now one of them (who owns a restaurant) was making fresh pizzas for us every 90 minutes (wild venison sausage was my favorite). Instead of them sneaking out to the parking lot to have a cheap beer they brought high-end tequilas and scotch for tastings. And at 5AM when we decided to call it they all hung around and helped clean before leaving.

Good times.

Stereodude

Not really a
From what I can tell from eBay's listing prices adding additional pictures (up to 12 total) and additional words to the listing would not have cost him any more. So from my perspective he intentionally made a confusing / unclear / potentially misleading listing.
Well, the disc is on the way back. Went in the mail today. I guess the seller decided he wasn't going to convince me and didn't want me giving him less than 5 stars or negative feedback.

Someone else today listed Minions 3D with all 3 discs for $10 shipped so I jumped on that. Slight damage to the case, but big whoop...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm trying to save a few bucks. 3D Blu-ray's (the entire set of content, not the single disc) tend to be expensive like $25-35 (for major releases). It's not uncommon to find them in the $15 range on eBay, though it's less common now than it was last fall when I started buying. For example, The Martian 3D Blu-ray is $24.75 at Amazon and $29.99 at Best Buy. I bought my copy on eBay a few weeks ago, new, for $15 shipped. Minions is only $16.99 at BB and Amazon right now, but $13 from eBay was still a savings of $4. Some 3D Blu-rays get cheaper over time, some don't. A few were in the discount bins at Walmart last year for $3.96 and $6.96 during Black Friday. I don't know the method to the madness.

This is the first time I've had this specific problem and I've bought a relatively large number of 3D Blu-ray discs on eBay. Most sellers listings are extremely clear. Now, I've gotten one or two discs that were scratched up and wouldn't play smoothly, the sellers trip all over themselves apologizing and give a full refund and pay for return shipping. I've also gotten a non 3D version of a movie once or twice. The sellers always apologize profusely and take them back too with a full refund and cover return shipping.

Also, many times 3D Blu-rays are cheaper outside the US. I just ordered five 3D movies from an online shop in Mexico and paid $11 each (average) after shipping. Two of the titles were never released on 3D Blu-ray in the US like Need for Speed. Three of the titles like Pan and Monster's University are much more expensive in the US. For example, Pan is $27.99 at Amazon and $37.99 at Best Buy for the 3D version. It was 222 pesos (~$12) when I ordered it. Another, Monsters University is $37.99 at both BB and Amazon for the 3D version. It was 199 pesos (~10.75$). So the case and artwork is in Spanish, but the disc has the same content as the US release and has English menus. I can live with that for those kinds of savings. Mexico is still Region A for BD so no problems there.

You can also venture outside of Region A also for 2D and 3D Blu-rays. A lot of movies and TV shows are Region Free. I picked up the The Hobbit Trilogy 3D Extended Edition from the UK for ~$45 total shipped. In the US each individual Extended Edition 3D movie is $40-45 at Amazon and $40-60 Best Buy. This 15 disc set is Region Free and are 1080p24 just like Blu-rays sold here. There is no such thing as a PAL Blu-ray. There are 1080i50 Blu-rays in Europe, but they're pretty much only for some TV shows and are not very common. Regardless of region coding those don't play in most US stand alone BD players, but a PC or media device will have no issues if you rip them. So, if you do a little research before buying you can save a lot of money and escape the media cartel in the US.

I can see how the costs would build up. I bought about 25 BlueRays and a couple of players a few years ago, but only played 2 or 3 discs.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Whoever said I was going to end up with Gentoo (I think it was Handruin -- but it could have been Chewy as well, I genuinely don't remember) is going to get a laugh out of this.

Left with not much to do for the remainder of my summer, I bought up a cheap iBook G3... mostly because it was in good condition and was very, very cheap. I paid ten dollars for this thing. I didn't buy it to do much of anything useful with it... I bought it because I wanted to fool around with a Mac but was too lazy/poor to build a hackintosh or, I dunno, buy a real Mac. So... I got a real Mac, just a really old and obsolete one. Should be adequate for learning most of the ins and outs and get a general idea of how OS X works, right? Apple didn't pull a Microsoft and make every version different, after all... Anyway, it's an 800MHz PPC750, with a Mobility Radeon 7500C (apparently those like to fail because it's early BGA tech, in the same way that early 360s failed and most mid-2000s nVidia laptop GPUs failed) with 32MB of VRAM. It has 256MB of RAM (for fifteen bucks I can upgrade it to 640, but I want to see if that would have any real effect first) and a 30GB hard drive.

My plan is to do a 5/10/15GB split... OS 9.2.2 on the 5GB, OS X 10.4.11 on the 10GB... and Gentoo on the 15GB, using Yaboot to boot it.

I don't know if my computing tastes have turned masochistic or if I'm just crazy.

Why Gentoo? Well, mostly because I didn't want Debian or Ubuntu, and Arch's PPC port got axed sometime in 2013 I think. And I think I'm turning into a computing masochist. But that's beside the point. I want to be able to use it for light duty tasks if I want to, and it's a beater machine that I don't need for anything, and I'm mostly doing this because I'm bored and it's free. If I get too frustrated with it I'll just run it with 9.2.2 and 10.4.11. Not that big of a deal. Leaving my T450 untouched for this. Except for perhaps using it for reading the handbook.

Don't judge me. I know I'm weird, and possibly being stupid by undertaking this task. But I'm pretty sure as far as vices go, doing stupid stuff to computers is pretty tame. Mostly just wanted to confirm to you guys that yes, I am still around, and yes, I am still doing stupid things to computers in the name of not being bored.

Last edited:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sed, Bravo! Now is the time to do this kind of thing. When you get to be my age, you become cranky and terribly impatient, and you won't be wanting to do this stuff then. So, go for it!

Handruin

Administrator
Whoever said I was going to end up with Gentoo (I think it was Handruin -- but it could have been Chewy as well, I genuinely don't remember) is going to get a laugh out of this.

Left with not much to do for the remainder of my summer, I bought up a cheap iBook G3... mostly because it was in good condition and was very, very cheap. I paid ten dollars for this thing. I didn't buy it to do much of anything useful with it... I bought it because I wanted to fool around with a Mac but was too lazy/poor to build a hackintosh or, I dunno, buy a real Mac. So... I got a real Mac, just a really old and obsolete one. Should be adequate for learning most of the ins and outs and get a general idea of how OS X works, right? Apple didn't pull a Microsoft and make every version different, after all... Anyway, it's an 800MHz PPC750, with a Mobility Radeon 7500C (apparently those like to fail because it's early BGA tech, in the same way that early 360s failed and most mid-2000s nVidia laptop GPUs failed) with 32MB of VRAM. It has 256MB of RAM (for fifteen bucks I can upgrade it to 640, but I want to see if that would have any real effect first) and a 30GB hard drive.

My plan is to do a 5/10/15GB split... OS 9.2.2 on the 5GB, OS X 10.4.11 on the 10GB... and Gentoo on the 15GB, using Yaboot to boot it.

I don't know if my computing tastes have turned masochistic or if I'm just crazy.

Why Gentoo? Well, mostly because I didn't want Debian or Ubuntu, and Arch's PPC port got axed sometime in 2013 I think. And I think I'm turning into a computing masochist. But that's beside the point. I want to be able to use it for light duty tasks if I want to, and it's a beater machine that I don't need for anything, and I'm mostly doing this because I'm bored and it's free. If I get too frustrated with it I'll just run it with 9.2.2 and 10.4.11. Not that big of a deal. Leaving my T450 untouched for this. Except for perhaps using it for reading the handbook.

Don't judge me. I know I'm weird, and possibly being stupid by undertaking this task. But I'm pretty sure as far as vices go, doing stupid stuff to computers is pretty tame. Mostly just wanted to confirm to you guys that yes, I am still around, and yes, I am still doing stupid things to computers in the name of not being bored.

I don't think it was me. I'm more of the Xubuntu/Ubuntu guy and I've not used Gentoo.

You could also use your T450 to run VMware workstation or Virtualbox to build a virtual hackintosh if you don't want to play on their hardware. I'll be interested to hear your feedback on using a Mac. I'm sure I've vented enough on my dislike of their product in many ways given it's my primary work system.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think I told you to install Gentoo. However, I was taunting you.

I've been using a MacBook Pro 13" at work since March. The hardware is nice and I can actually use it on an airplane.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Massive score!

Thought I was getting a G3 -- indeed, that's what the listing listed it as -- Nope, G4. 256MB DDR, 800MHz G4, Radeon 9200. All of the promised speed, perhaps a bit more -- and not as many of the failure points. This makes things a whole lot easier.

ddrueding

Fixture
400ml of straight vodka shots over a 4 hour period (personally, 1.2l for 3 of us) is probably near my limit. My liver will be happy when my father in law leaves tomorrow.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I know guys who drink like that all the time. I have to think they're genetically different in that their liver doesn't get shot with regular high dosing.

There's a town called Patiala in Punjab. A "Patiala peg" is 120 ml of booze undiluted. That's the standard drink size there. The king of the place was famous for eating 12-13 chicken at one sitting.

Ref 1, Ref 2

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Your son drives a 20+ year old truck? I hope you're not paying for the gas. :p

Sadly yes, until he gets a job. The 351 is certainly thirsty. 1990 Eddie Bauer edition. Apparently all the mechanics at the tire dealership came running out to ogle it when it pulled up. Complete strangers will drive up in parking lots and ask if it's for sale.

LunarMist

Is he driving on gravel/dirt roads or is some other reason for those tires? They don't look very fuel efficient.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Is he driving on gravel/dirt roads or is some other reason for those tires? They don't look very fuel efficient.

That's the style he wanted. In addition to regular pavement, will also be used on dirt/muddy trails and for hunting, also selected for their snow capability (severe snow service rated).

A Bronco is pretty much a brick on wheels aerodynamically, basically the anti-Prius.

LunarMist

Apparently the dishwashing pods are not really equivalent to the laundry pods.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know guys who drink like that all the time. I have to think they're genetically different in that their liver doesn't get shot with regular high dosing.

My permanent houseguest is a full-blown alcoholic. She drinks a fifth (the middle size bottle?) a day and can do that without being visibly impaired. It's pretty sad.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My permanent houseguest is a full-blown alcoholic. She drinks a fifth (the middle size bottle?) a day and can do that without being visibly impaired. It's pretty sad.
Her brain will melt before she reach 40. Long term alcohol addiction is quite bad for the intellect.

LunarMist

My body has never been in the dishwasher, so I'll taco your word for it. :) I do not recommended the pants; that's for sure. :(

LunarMist

Her brain will melt before she reach 40. Long term alcohol addiction is quite bad for the intellect.

Liver may fail at that rate in addition to brain cells.

Enabling alcoholics doesn't help either.

Handruin

Administrator
My body has never been in the dishwasher, so I'll taco your word for it. :) I do not recommended the pants; that's for sure. :(

il_214x170.724120302_5ytk.jpg

Handruin

Administrator

Anything you can do to help her out or is she too far gone at this point?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In my own experience of trying to make a difference in the life of a woman with severe issues, he can't help her with her dependancy. Pressing her to stop will only make her leave and find another resource. That's probably how she sees Merc: a resource. Any care feigned from her part towards Merc is only skin deep and won't be backed by actual action or change.

Addicts lie. Drugs make people selfish and egocentrical. Merc might genuinely trying to help her, but the only thing he'll achieve will be to torture himself watching someone he cares about destroy herself.

LunarMist

In my own experience of trying to make a difference in the life of a woman with severe issues, he can't help her with her dependancy. Pressing her to stop will only make her leave and find another resource. That's probably how she sees Merc: a resource. Any care feigned from her part towards Merc is only skin deep and won't be backed by actual action or change.

Addicts lie. Drugs make people selfish and egocentrical. Merc might genuinely trying to help her, but the only thing he'll achieve will be to torture himself watching someone he cares about destroy herself.

The first few rehabs often don't stick, especially with the hardcore addicts. Sometimes death is the only cure.