Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
At first I thought it was an old Mopar part but it looks like a mach8ne gun or something on the Bing.

Stereodude

Not really a
At first I thought it was an old Mopar part but it looks like a mach8ne gun or something on the Bing.
It's not a machine gun. Machine guns are Class 3 (NFA) controlled items and can't be owned without a stamp.

An AR-15 is a .223/5.56 semi automatic rifle, not unlike a hunting rifle in capability, but with a scary looking pistol grip and a generally tactical appearance instead of a classic rifle design. Think of the children and ban them now!!!

LunarMist

Thanks. I'm a civilian so weapons are not my area.

Banning children would be a good idea - on airplanes. ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
Thanks. I'm a civilian so weapons are not my area.
Why would knowledge of weapons be something not found in civilians?

Even if you're not a hunter or aren't worried about self defense / home defense, going to the range shooting with a group of friends is a lot of fun.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Why does he need to move to AZ before getting an AR-15? You can own one most anywhere.

Of course he doesn't need to move to AZ before obtaining an AR-15. Point being, once he's here, he should own one, to fit in. ;)

The "AR-15 class of firearm" is one of America's favorite long-guns, after the shotgun and hunting rifle. And AR's are like today's modern high-end computer components. You can mix/match and custom build an AR to fit any design goal or cost level. Different receivers, barrels & their length, triggers, operating systems (DI or piston), buffers, "furniture," rails, BUIS, optics, accessories, slings, bipod mounts, etc, etc, etc.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It's not a machine gun. Machine guns are Class 3 (NFA) controlled items and can't be owned without a stamp.

An AR-15 is a .223/5.56 semi automatic rifle, not unlike a hunting rifle in capability, but with a scary looking pistol grip and a generally tactical appearance instead of a classic rifle design. Think of the children and ban them now!!!

This.

Machine gun = 1) Belt fed and 2) Full Auto.
Assault Rifle = 1) Select-fire (semi or FULL AUTO) and 2) Detachable box magazine.
Semi-Auto = 1) one bullet per trigger pull and 2) Magazine that may or may not be detachable.

Even if you're not a hunter or aren't worried about self defense / home defense, going to the range shooting with a group of friends is a lot of fun.

This again. Nice to hear that little "ding" when hitting that steel plate at 200 yards.

Of course with the "Obama scare" of 2008 ammo price went thru the roof and have not returned to pre-2008 levels. .22lr is still horded, expensive, and sometimes hard to find. 5.56 is still about $0.30/round for brass cased, lead bullet, non-corrosive ammo.

LunarMist

Why would knowledge of weapons be something not found in civilians?

I probably couldn't handle the backfire in my condition. :eek:lo:

LunarMist

Don't you expect a proper greeting on a business number? How do you answer the phone, just hello? I would answer, "Hello this is Dennis."

LunarMist

That would be more of a greeting for reception here. I was thinking of a direct line or transfer by directory.
I don't even answer the desk phone if the caller ID is not somebody I recognize. There are so many cold solicitations it is ridiculous.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Don't you expect a proper greeting on a business number? How do you answer the phone, just hello?"

Funny.

When I put in my Nikon D610+lens+accessories order at Adorama the total was around $3k. Because I was a first time buyer, and they were concerned with fraud, they sent an email saying I need give them a call and talk with someone in their "verification" department. They gave me the 800 number of their verification department.

I call said 800 number and guy answered the phone and said, "Hello." That's it. WTF?!? I go, "Ummmmm, is this Adorama?" He says, "Yes." I then ask, "Well is this the verification department?" He says, "Yes...order number please" <facepalm> Not encouraging to say the least.

So yes Lunar, many people/employees don't know how to properly answer their phone.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Brass 5.56 is more than that. About $0.36 a round currently. The only thing you can shoot with an AR-15 that's brass cased & priced about $0.30 are .223 reloads.

Correct. I was thinking .223 but wrote 5.56.

It costs around $0.30/round to fire an AR because you can use .223 in an AR, while you may or may not be able to fire 5.56 in a .223 rifle. I remember back in the day when Chinese Norinco .223 was $0.13/round. 1600 round case was $200. Good times.

Norinco 223.jpg

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Of course with the "Obama scare" of 2008 ammo price went thru the roof and have not returned to pre-2008 levels. .22lr is still horded, expensive, and sometimes hard to find. 5.56 is still about $0.30/round for brass cased, lead bullet, non-corrosive ammo.

I always blamed the war in Iraq and Afghanistan - Why make ammo for a price conscious retail market one box at a time when you can sell it by the truck load at inflated costs to the US military? I don't buy the hoarder argument because Walmart (or your local sporting good's retailer) was only getting a few boxes of each popular caliber (such as 22LR) in each weekly shipment and limited sales per person heavily. If there was really increased retail demand, the ammo manufacturer's would have a field day at today's inflated retail costs. My assumption is that they simply charge the US military an even more inflated cost and it's a much easier customer to deal with.

Stereodude

Not really a
The military/gov't doesn't buy .22LR. Of course I've heard people allege that the gov't is buying up all the supply and just destroying it, but that doesn't seem likely.

LunarMist

Funny.

When I put in my Nikon D610+lens+accessories order at Adorama the total was around $3k. Because I was a first time buyer, and they were concerned with fraud, they sent an email saying I need give them a call and talk with someone in their "verification" department. They gave me the 800 number of their verification department.

I call said 800 number and guy answered the phone and said, "Hello." That's it. WTF?!? I go, "Ummmmm, is this Adorama?" He says, "Yes." I then ask, "Well is this the verification department?" He says, "Yes...order number please" <facepalm> Not encouraging to say the least.

So yes Lunar, many people/employees don't know how to properly answer their phone.

Well, I'm not surprised since it is NYC. I've also experienced systematic rudeness in NJ and Boston.

LunarMist

What is good for the BF deals? Large SSD prices don't seem to be moving much.

LunarMist

Amazon is full of it. Same delivery day never came Saturday or since.
The website indicates that I was not available. Shiping compAnies are liars.
There is no redelivery date. :mad:

LunarMist

Amazon same day is fulfilled by contractors that really don't give a shit afaik.

I've had a missed delivery before, but they redelivered the next day o two.
There does not seem to be any recourse in this case as there is nothing other than the statement below. :(

Delivery attempted
An attempt was made to deliver your package. You may find a notice of attempted delivery that provides more information

One would think that eventually the package would be returned to the Amazon and they would credit me.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I've had a missed delivery before, but they redelivered the next day o two.
There does not seem to be any recourse in this case as there is nothing other than the statement below. :(

Delivery attempted
An attempt was made to deliver your package. You may find a notice of attempted delivery that provides more information

One would think that eventually the package would be returned to the Amazon and they would credit me.

Apparently there is no recourse from Amazon until you wait for four weeks, and I will be away by then.
It seems that the Amazon will leave most of the <$100 packages and the ones over about $500 are via UPS.
I used to buy from Newegg, but then their shipping went down the tubes.
Are there any good vendors that use UPS or FedEx nowadays for the smaller computer parts in the $100-500 range?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
My suggestion would be to stick with next day or 2 day shipping via UPS or FedEx. The same day shipping just doesn't have the same level of service in terms of quality or accountability. It's just someone in their own car that picks up a bunch of packages and drops them off on a route. If they want to save some time and effort they claim they tried to deliver to you when in fact they never tried.

I would engage Amazon chat and explain the situation. At the very least you should get a full refund including shipping. I would expect at least one or two more delivery "attempts" if things were working correctly.

LunarMist

Normally I try weekends, but I think this shipper is also during the week for medium value packages. The product is discontinued so with my luck it won't be available.

LunarMist

I'm not well compensated, LM. As I recall, dd's assistant makes more than I do. I like my job a lot because of the flexibility I have and the number of different hats I get to wear, plus the fact that stable full time/permanent IT gigs are not a thing that seems to exist, at least around Chicago.

Canada? I like Canada. Those people are sane up there. Listen to their candidates for PM debate and tell me it's not a whole different world.

Merc, where are you? The lack of posts is strange.

LunarMist

You could contact Amazon instead of complaining to us. We can't help you. They probably can.

It is difficult to figure out, but I should not complain so much. I'm in pain and not feeling well, but I need to do it without meds until I see the doc next week. I think internal stitches have dissolved.
I will try a pickup at Microcenter or Frys after the big weekend.

Handruin

Administrator
You could contact Amazon instead of complaining to us. We can't help you. They probably can.

In fairness, replace the word Amazon with Citibank...and it's more or less the same. We still chat about the frustrations to be social and possible offer help.

Stereodude

Not really a
In fairness, replace the word Amazon with Citibank...and it's more or less the same. We still chat about the frustrations to be social and possible offer help.
Except I called Citibank numerous times and they really couldn't/wouldn't help me. There's no evidence that Lunar has contacted Amazon or the carrier.

Handruin

Administrator
Sure, I just meant why give him crap about it. This thread is all about posting random crap and if he wants to vent, I say let him.

LunarMist

I finally was able to find the right site through a board via the Bing. It should not be so obtuse.
I received a reply from the Amazon in the wee hours. Package is lost in transit and will be replaced.