Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
Not all tanks have replaceable anodes so you will have to check like you said. I also believe the plastic tanks don't use an anode.
There definitely isn't a user replaceable anode on my old one. I pulled off the power vent and removed all the caps on the top. It's a gas unit, so I presume that precludes it being a plastic tank.

Stereodude

Not really a
And I discovered the humidifier on my furnace isn't work anymore. It worked before I changed the hot water heater. I don't really see the connection on why replacing one causes a failure in the other, but anyhow...

I poked around with a multimeter and figured out how the system is supposed to work and it looks like the relay is bad. The humidifier unit puts ~28VAC across two wires. When those two wires are shorted together the humidifier runs (fan and opens the water valve/solenoid). The humidistat seems to be working fine. I measure 0 ohms across it when it's turned up past the ambient humidity, open circuit when below. This is what it should do. Further down the circuit however, the relay that is activated by the furnace has about 1k ohm of resistance (the reading bounces around a bit) across it when it's energized by the furnace when it should be 0 ohms.

A new relay is inbound and should be here tomorrow.

Handruin

Administrator
That's a good find on the humidifier issue. I'm interested in adding one to my HVAC for the winter but I don't think I'll get to fund that project this year. For now I'm just using a typical humidifier that runs in my bedroom that I got for cheap on Amazon.