Something Random

Sol

Storage is cool
If you could find a light, low power screen, some appropriate batteries, a small wireless/Ethernet bridge device and some gaffer tape you could probably make your own reasonably hand held option...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So I've been ordering tons and tons and tons of stuff from Newegg lately. Parts for 100 complete systems, plus monitors and printers.

This morning at 10:01 AM (basically, the moment Newegg opened) I got a call from Sangeeta, who told me that as a large-volume customer I am entitled to discounts on shipping and possibly on item orders as well, and I can use her as a personal contact for billing, shipping or RMA issues.

This is the same Newegg that, according to their web site, doesn't give discounts to resellers or anyone for any reason.

Lesson learned: Spend $50,000 at Newegg in under a month and they'll give you a real CSR!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
That gal is Indian. Be interesting to know if she's based in So. CA (where Newegg is) or India. Next time you talk to her, ask.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm officially a storage freak.

I took apart my first hard drive today.
So I guess that makes me an official storage freak.
I actually took apart two of them. But I couldn't get the platters out of the second one.

I was surprised that the circuit boards on the bottom were so swappable. They weren't soldered in or anything. There were contacts on the bottom of the circuit boards and springy metal that just touched them to make the connection.

I'm debating whether to take the magnets and attach them to my drill and try to degauss my TV. It has this yellowish spot on the right side.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Those magnets are strong! I found out the hard way the first time I took apart a drive. Makes you wonder that a stray bit here and there doesn't fly off the spinning platter to stick to the magnet.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
This is my wife's cousin:

http://www.wmuz.com/

She was a really nice person & I was fortunate to know her. The circumstances of her death are still unknown. 46 is just way too young.

The radio station spent most of the afternoon yesterday on the air with the staff talking about how much they loved her and today callers will be calling in most of the day to say how much she meant to them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Continuing the theme, the wife of a guy from my work lost an 11 month battle with cancer over the weekend. They have three young kids. She was 33. Not a good week. :-(

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Know what you mean. Young couple; we attended the wedding. Guy is 28. Diagnosed with acute leukaemia. Had chemo and has relapsed. Prognosis not good unless they find a marrow donor. A whole bunch of us have registered, but no match yet (he needs a 6 out of 6 match). Time is running out. www.helpvinay.org

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Know what you mean. Young couple; we attended the wedding. Guy is 28. Diagnosed with acute leukaemia. Had chemo and has relapsed. Prognosis not good unless they find a marrow donor. A whole bunch of us have registered, but no match yet (he needs a 6 out of 6 match). Time is running out. www.helpvinay.org

Have you tried here: http://www.themarrowfoundation.org/

Bozo :joker:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Damn..just found out about another 47 year old guy from work who just died from stomach cancer. He was diagnosed in March. He's leaving behind 14 & 16 year old boys and the wife he just married in April.

ddrueding

Fixture
Stupid question of the day:

If you don't remove the plastic protector from the bottom of a stock AMD heatsink, install it anyway, and run it; how long will it go before the 90C thermal shut-off triggers?

Answer? About 10 minutes.

Lesson learned? If working on a system that someone else built, tear the whole thing apart and rebuild it first.

Mercutio

The little fuckers who are getting free computers, LCD monitors and printers plus a copy of Windows through the state program to provide computer training that my company is participating in, were bitching today because since the computers didn't come from a store and therefore must be made from rummage sale parts.

Gigabyte motherboard, Corsair RAM, NEC DVD-Burner, Hitachi flat-panel and Seagate hard disk.

And mine is $180 less expensive than Dell's.

One of them kicked her computer, and broke her DVD burner. Apparently she kicks her computer at home all the time. Apparently if the computer was any good, the DVD burner would not have broken.

I really, really wanted to beat some spoiled brat ass today.

:mad:

ddrueding

Fixture
considering it is state-sponsored, these are little poor fuckers as well...correct?

It sounds to me like someone isn't ready for a computer yet...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
On the positive side, looks like we have a match for Coug.
Nope. I pay for the stuff my temper breaks. I don't complain at the manufacturer that its stuff wasn't Coug-proof. Nothing is. I would probably manage to demolish a tank if I'd get pissed at it (What's that crappy handling? No rear mirror? Damn P.O.S!).

On an unrelated note, I flew a small plane yesterday. It gives another perspective of the landscape. It takes some time to get use to the way it is piloted. Am I the only one to understand Jack shit what the others say in the crappy radio aviation use? With the model I flew in, Montréal-Chicago only takes 6 hours. West coast is probably a little over twice that time. So if I ever find the time and money to get my license, maybe some of you will have a visit (won't be this year).

ddrueding

Fixture
Nice Coug. When I was trying to get my license, I could never understand the radio. Only flew in Cessnas and Pipers, so no major range or speed. Was yours a twin engine?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Last time I was in a small plane I did not get to fly. But I did get to get sick. Though, I already had some intestinal bug when I got in. Poor girl sitting next to me just didn't know what to do.

paugie

Storage is cool
Sydney and near cities was devastated by storms (a storm?) according to the news.

We haven't been hearing from Tony for a good while. Would Ballarat be any where near the affected area?

I am very concerned with the changes in weather world-wide. And the movie about global warming also warned about devastating storms being cause by the warming phenomenon.

paugie

Storage is cool
Merc, send the PC's to me and my urban-poor kids over here.
I'll make sure they don't complain, make sure they're properly thankful, and make sure they're used and used well.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, send the PC's to me and my urban-poor kids over here.
I'll make sure they don't complain, make sure they're properly thankful, and make sure they're used and used well.

I know some 'special needs' kids that would love to have a computer. If you have any left after sending them to Paugie, I'll take a couple.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
How much would be the shipping from North America to Bucalan? I would be very surprised if sending a 25lbs box over there would cost less than 50U$. It might be less per PC if enough would be packed on a palet and wrapped up together.

A random thought : here a basic computer is called a vanilla box. In Philippines, is it called a Manilla box? ;-)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And Tony no longer visits because he got pissed against our members who feel they aren't concerned about global warming, fossil fuel consumption and responsible behavior towards the environment. He was tired to tell them to get a clue and I can't blame him.

I miss Groltz too.

ddrueding

Fixture
And Tony no longer visits because he got pissed against our members who feel they aren't concerned about global warming, fossil fuel consumption and responsible behavior towards the environment. He was tired to tell them to get a clue and I can't blame him.

Is that verified? If so, it is unfortunate.

ddrueding

Fixture
I do remember that thread. Considering that the contentious topic is not even close to the primary subject of the forums, it seems a rash decision. Soon you will find yourself not talking to anyone.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
My general rules of thumb: (for work, mixed company, forums, etc)

Don't discuss politics
Don't discuss religion
Don't discuss nuclear power (I'm not too far from 3 Mile Island)
Don't discuss gun control

ddrueding

Fixture
Not a bad list Bozo, but I thought we could run it a bit closer. I felt we could discuss those things provided the following:

Don't make comments more inflammatory than necessary
Don't question the honesty of others without citing facts
If a discussion is getting too heated, just sit it out
Don't try to convince others of your opinion, just make a reasoned case and move on

We used to be a lot better at this.

Mercutio

I am going to say this:

I have worked in coal power plants and nuclear.
I have seen the people who work in both.
I have lived close to a coal plant.

I'd take nuclear power any day. Particularly if that plant is a pebble-bed design.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Not a bad list Bozo, but I thought we could run it a bit closer. I felt we could discuss those things provided the following:

Don't try to convince others of your opinion, just make a reasoned case and move on

Yes, but you could add to the list that one could usually find and opposing dissenting opinion about just about any topic, just like the highlighted text above. I can 'cite' actual facts that I can claim to represent -kind of like the global warming debate? Or the one about the end of Ford, with Coug's unfortunately 'insensitive' to say the least, commentary about the "land of the rising sun"...which not a single OM (original member) even uttered a word of objection to???- facts supporting the contrary. Just in reading some of the older threads, I'd say I could counter ddrueding's argument with any number of comments that would support otherwise, such a 'factual' (opinion?) statement as 'we used to be a lot better at this'.

If you use Bozo's list, then you eliminate a lot, and might as well not have a Cafe/Bar & Grill etc, or lobotomize it like Eugene has done with SR (well except we still have a moderator like BBH making racist comments in the computing forum, not unlike Coug doing here). Umm, so then we're left with talking about Paris crying about having to go back to jail for another 19days, lol! You'll have heated debates about that too---well on some forums you will ;) , just hope that you'll not get too emotionally attached to it like the global warming debate.

Tannin says where all ignorant, I disagree (though Sdude could have been a bit more tactful in commentary likewise). The argument is easily made that Tannin's weather conditions in Oz are not conclusive over such a very short geological time frame he sites, less than a century. A century is far, far too short, a blink of an eye in geological time frames, to say conclusively with what temperature/weather extremes (which are not factually proven to be so far beyond the norms over centuries, because we don't have that conclusive evidence via accurate weather measuring instruments...though we do have the glacial records in the ice of CO2 concentrations as well as other gases which can be used to argue about those concentrations...but then you have to say there is not conclusive, despite what Al Gore would like to state as 'facts'...remember he's a politician trying to convince you of his argument...evidence that changes in atmospheric or oceanic concentrations of certain gases have that great an effect on as yet very, very complex weather systems that even supercomputer modeling cannot conclusively forecast, much like we can't, even though it's a apples and oranges argument that we can't predict when and where earthquakes will strike. BTW, factually warmer temperatures as compared to the few centuries before where we have decent records, there was a report on the news yesterday about how usually heavy snowfall was counteracting the increasing melting rate of a Argentinian glacier, causing it to enlarge or get thicker. So lets just say for arguments sake over our lifetime (not likely) we could drastically change the earth's weather system some how. Who will be alive in another century to see the farther reaching effects of what is done in this century. Will such minor temperature changes that we might be able to induce 'artificially' by the end of this century, throw the balance too far in one direction such that there is a 10,000 year ice age, that kills off far more of the planet over thousands of years, as compared to a global warming that may kill a certain amount, but then reverse in another century or two? It's a game of Russian roulette I'd prefer not to play. Just do as little harm to the environment as possible, that's something the humans are doing a poor job of at present, no debate about that, that would could do much better, even if it costs more in the short term. Humans are very good at satisfying their short term desires without considering what they do to others or longer term damages to the planet.

One could add to the list to not make assumptions, which we're all guilty of in one degree or another. How do you conclude, as a matter of pure conjecture, that Tannin is gone because of, or that he got PO'd, about the global warming debate (maybe it was the gun control thread, or something else here on SF); when it could very well be that Tea, like those Clocker has been depressingly posting here on this thread, suffering from cancer or some other aliment. Unless Tannin specifically stated leaving (well you know Tannin's last visit was 5/17 while Gilbo's been gone since 4/20) for such a reason?

There is not doubt mans capacity for destruction is great, but it's sort of like smoking cigarette's, for years the tobbaco lobby brought out study after study by scientists that countered a larger body of evidence that strongly suggests (but still cannot make a direct link to lung cancer, as people who have never smoked still get & die from lung cancer...Steve Reeves wife as an example) a linkage to cancer from cigarette smoking. That's a huge and heated emotional debate to, in some circles. Illegal immigrant debate another hot topic (even if not so acrimonious with those current members here, just get a larger demographic population represented on SF, and I'm sure you get strong emotional reactions).

I'd rather not have any nuclear power, even France has them everywhere. Risk/versus benefit, I'd prefer more effort be put into generating power from solar/wind/geothermal/ocean currents, etc that don't have any harmful potential side-effects. Once again, the main problem with man, is simply growing populates out-stripping resources or technological advances that would allow for a more sustainable custodianship of this planet. Meanwhile, people are starving and dying, and wars are being fought by silly humans. Humans are flawed, nothing new about that. Deal with it as best you can, or have a nervous breakdown or become as bitter as Merc about how life sucks. Choice is yours.

People have differences of opinion and you'll just have to respect that or take yourself out of the discussion, though you don't have to leave SF or every single thread (umm, why aren't you all using Mac OSX, Windows has a "horrible" (sorry to pick on WR, but it's fun ;) ) UI, just like the Canon TX1 hybrid has a "horrible" UI, too each his own.

How do you know that Tannin, or maybe Gilbo; hasn't just gotten bored with wasting time ranting on SF, much as happened to 'honold' over on SR and other 'tech' forums? We know FS is happy as a clam, ranting and raving talking down to those like he's of such superior knowledge, all should not question his facts over on anandtech...same old, same old arguments as what, why, etc. one member or another does or doesn't do what they do.

Nice conjecture, now carry on ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
udaman,

That was actually a nice post. Paragraphs, punctuation, and (fairly) cohesive thoughts. Possibly your best to date, certainly your best "long" one.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Agreed. I guess we all need to be a little more tolerant.

ddrueding

Fixture
Whereas, with no one and nothing to look forward to, I'm ready to go at 31.

Don't know how the rest of you do it.

There have been a number of times in my life where I was ready to call it.I can think of at least two times where laziness was the primary factor keeping me around. It's very similar to having to play the same game over and over, trying to make up new challenges to keep it interesting. After a while it just seems silly.

Until now something different has always come up to keep things interesting; I suspect that this one will keep me busy for quite some time.

For you Merc it seems a bit more complex, not only are you bored with what you have, but you seem to not want anything else. That seems to be a tricky spot to be in.

paugie

Storage is cool
I thought I was going to die (or do something about it) when I was 16. Then I changed that to 19. The year kept being pushed back. Until I (didn't decide when) realized I wasn't going to die and wasn't going to do anything about it either.

I'm 53 now. And looking back, it's been a good life. Could have been lots better but I'm not complaining. There's no point in complaining to one's self.

I still am PC-less. Still using this Duron 950 my nephew owns. HAHAHAHA!

This is part of what I do in my spare time. Try looking them up.
http://tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=23836&page=81 Scroll down to the last part of the page.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0YA5ZDFqoZw

paugie

Storage is cool
A random thought : here a basic computer is called a vanilla box. In Philippines, is it called a Manilla box?
Nice one, Coug.
A manilla box would be something Merc's brats assumed they would find. It's filled with someone else's garbage.

BTW, some of you might find this a bit educational.
Mind you, it's not the norm for my place. Just something a bit unique. The photos are too "nice" for my taste, too cleaned-up.

http://www.iht.com/slideshows/2006/05/19/asia/web.0519city7.php