Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
From the pics it looks like rear seat headroom would be minimal. Also doesn't seem like trunk space would be generous. Both of those factors could limit adoption of the vehicle as a taxi, which is too bad as taxis do a lot of short trips and greatly benefit from hybrid & electric tech. A recent Chicago Tribune article highlighted the first hybrid (Prius) taxi in Chicago and noted how the typical fleet of Crown Vics averages around 9 MPG in the city when used as taxis.

From the stories I've seen, the Ford Escape Hybrid has been a big success for its drivers in NYC taxi use. The stop and go is perfect to maximise regen braking. They did have to get special approval as it is no where near roomy when compared to a Crown Vic. You could see the looks on the other drivers faces when they went to fill up, it was a fraction of the price of gassing a Crown Vic.

ddrueding

Fixture
Around here all the taxis are either Prius or specialty (minivan/SUV). It's been like that for a while now. Singapore was cool, all the taxis were Mercedes.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was once eating lunch in Chicago's Chinatown.
I went into a restaurant, a little hole in the wall place that just smelled spicy and awesome.

I told the only guy in the place who spoke English that I wanted something hot and spicy. He asked me "How spicy you want?"
I said "Bring it to me the way you would make it for your family."
And he just laughed and shook his head.

He brought me a plate full of beef, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and peppers. Lots and lots of little tiny red death peppers. And I ate the whole thing. I'm red in the face, my nose is running, and my eyes were teared up, but it was GOOD, just exactly what I wanted to eat.

So I'm taking out my wallet to pay, and the guy shakes his head at me. "For you, who eat like my family, there is no pay."

Anyway, yes, I like very spicy food.

What place was this? I'm going down there on Tuesday for dinner.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My best antidote to the burning squirts/ring of fire is lots of veggies.

I remember my grandmother (dad's mother) had a medium sized glass jar which she kept at least half full of rice-grain sized chillies. Every now and then, she would pop some into her mouth and ... Maybe it was the equivalent of chewing tobacco. I can never imagine myself doing that.

I'm not a big proponent of the hot chilis. Probably 10,000 is OK for the spicy taste once in a while. Beyond that lies machismo and/or masochism.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
On this day in 2002, The Vitim event, a possible bolide impact, occurred in Siberia, Russia. In 1929, Jimmy Doolittle performed the first blind flight from Mitchel Field, proving that full Instrument Flying from take off to landing is possible. In 1906, in the presence of the king and before a great crowd, Leonardo Torres Quevedo successfully demonstrated the invention of the Telekino in the port of Bilbao, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered the birth of the remote control. And in 1513, Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa reached what would be known as the Pacific Ocean. Happy Birthday Catherine Zeta-Jones (1969), Will Smith (1968 ), Heather Locklear (1961), Michael Madsen (1958 ), Anson Williams (1952), Christopher Reeve (1952), Mark Hamill (1951), Cheryl Tiegs (1947), Michael Douglas (1944), Juliet Prowse (1936), Shel Silverstein (1930), Barbara Walters (1929), Phil Rizzuto (1917) and William Faulkner (1897).

"We may go to the moon, but that's not very far. The greatest distance we have to cover still lies within us."
- Charles de Gaulle

Handruin

Administrator
I needed a quick solution for graphics in my main PC tonight because I have to RMA my ATI card for memory corruption problems (joy)... Since this is my first PCIe video card, I have no others on reserve to use while it is in transit.

So I dug through my junk bin and found an ancient Matrox millennium II PCI card . Seems to work ok, and the fact that it has no fan makes my machine so quiet. I can't get 32-bit color at 1600x1200, but it'll do for now until I get a new card back. I'm amazed after all these years it still works in a modern system and looks decent enough for general desktop use. I guess this is why it's always good to have a spare PCI video card laying around for a rainy day.

LunarMist

What is it with the younger women now? Does everyone under 35 have tatoos?

ddrueding

Fixture
Yay! Someone on the board who is younger than me! (27 in august :p)

I don't have any tattoos, but I specifically date women over 30 to avoid them and excessive piercings. I don't think *everyone* has them, but of all the stereotypes older people put younger people in, most of the interesting groups include tattoos/piercings.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't have any tattoos, but I specifically date women over 30 to avoid them and excessive piercings. I don't think *everyone* has them, but of all the stereotypes older people put younger people in, most of the interesting groups include tattoos/piercings.
I hate tattoos, piercings, or for that matter even makeup. For what it's worth, most of the under 30 crowd here doesn't have piercing or tattoos (at least where I can see them). Anyway, if I were dating, I'd probably avoid anyone over 30 (just the opposite of you) because I don't want baggage (too many old boyfriends, divorcees, children from previous marriages, etc.). No money, time, or opportunity to date anyway so it's moot.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
A friend sent me an email loaded with picture attachments. In the body of the mail, he repeated, about 15 times, "I will not complain about my kids anymore". I understood why when I looked at the pics. It's unbelievable what people do to themselves. Eg. one guy had pierced his ear lobes and had a soda can stuck in each. There were pics of guys with studs implanted all over their face, including many that surely interfered with their ability to speak / drink / eat. It got grosser and weirder with each pic. Pure masochism. Sometimes I think there are aliens living amongst us.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess it's just a matter of what you like. My girlfriend has tattoos and I like them on her (and I like them on other women). In general I like them to a certain extent along with piercings. If 90% of a woman's body is covered with them I think that's a bit much (same with piercings mubs described). I really don't see anything wrong with it but understand it's not for everyone.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
A friend sent me an email loaded with picture attachments. In the body of the mail, he repeated, about 15 times, "I will not complain about my kids anymore". I understood why when I looked at the pics. It's unbelievable what people do to themselves. Eg. one guy had pierced his ear lobes and had a soda can stuck in each. There were pics of guys with studs implanted all over their face, including many that surely interfered with their ability to speak / drink / eat. It got grosser and weirder with each pic. Pure masochism. Sometimes I think there are aliens living amongst us.
I also got that e-mail. Just plain digusting.

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Lots of T-shirts, time and patience.

On this day in 1987, Encounter at Farpoint, the first episode of TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation aired. In 1976, R&B singer Stevie Wonder released the classic double album Songs in the Key of Life. In 1941, Major League Baseball player Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox hit a batting average of .406 (and is the last player with a batting average of .400 or better). In 1889, the first General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defined the length of a meter as the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice. Happy Birthday Hilary Duff (1987), Gwyneth Paltrow (1972), Naomi Watts (1968 ), Moon Unit Zappa and Mira Sorvino (1967), Janeane Garofalo (1964), Brigitte Bardot (1934), Ed Sullivan (1901), Thomas Crapper (1836) and Confucius (551 BC). RIP Miles Davis (d. 1991), Harpo Marx (1964) and Louis Pasteur (1895).

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
- Terry Pratchett

LunarMist

I'm recuperating from some strange adventures. ;) Yet your thought makes me wonder how many people are posting from work on weekdays. I'd be very unhappy if my employees were doing that.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm recuperating from some strange adventures. ;) Yet your thought makes me wonder how many people are posting from work on weekdays. I'd be very unhappy if my employees were doing that.

Heh. I post from client sites, from their computers, while billing them hourly. ;)

Long gone are the days where employees are exclusively yours 9-5; though I don't think productivity has suffered too much because of it. The additional productivity offered by computers and the internet has pretty much kept up with the loss of productivity from the same sources.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was gone all day on a 66 mile bike ride to my friend's dads house where we shot his .22 caliber rifle at some targets, then took a commuter train back to the city and rode back to the north side where we live. The ride was capped off nicely by a very nice tail wind in the city. I averaged over 20mph for the last 6 miles of the ride.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yet your thought makes me wonder how many people are posting from work on weekdays. I'd be very unhappy if my employees were doing that.

I post from where I am.
If I'm at a client site, I usually VPN home and go out through that, just to keep my habits private, but the way I see it, I'm absolutely justified in participating in technical forums of any type at all. It's part of the learning process, and that knowledge is what makes me valuable.

I will say, however, that I tend to view forum posting as well as E-mail as a lower priority on weekends, especially during my actual free time. I might be doing something computer-related, but it's a bit of a break for me.

ddrueding

Fixture
Lately I've put the computer games away; any time I'm at my computer with spare time, I'm playing with Linux. Any time I need to procrastinate from that, I'm checking the forums. I estimate I refresh this page ~40 times an hour.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

Yeah, pretty gross, but it's what you don't see...don't go there :), pierced nipples both male/female, pierced genitalia...ewwww! Bad enough they tatoo those areas.

I guess it's just a matter of what you like. My girlfriend has tattoos and I like them on her (and I like them on other women). In general I like them to a certain extent along with piercings. If 90% of a woman's body is covered with them I think that's a bit much (same with piercings mubs described). I really don't see anything wrong with it but understand it's not for everyone.

Hmm. I mean ummm, Ms Aqua GUI had that pierced tongue, stunning beauty, the only other part of her body pierced was typical lower ear lobs for hoop ear rings...course last time I saw her at Vidal Sasson, she' put on a little weight, freshman 15, or maybe 5, in finishing up school at coumminity college. Oh yeah, on her, that pieced tongue was very mentally stimulating. Now the typical Melrose wanna be's that are students at Vidal Sasson Academy which just raised the price on the 40wk program to $22k, they look yucky, lots of excessively large tats all over too, in addition to pierced lips and what not.

Well Jessica Alba has one on the back of her neck, inside of one of her wrists I think, not sure about the others. Either way, I'd lick every single one of them :p. Now I don't understand why women keep saying they are getting these tats at or below their hiphugger pants/jeans line, especially on their arses, which they always refer to as 'my lower back'..yeah right! It's there as a tease, they obviously want it bad, doggy style.

No-one ever posts on weekends...do you guys have, like, lives? Or something?

Trolling for posts, eh? :D sarcasm will get you everywhere.

Umm, care to elaborate? :p ...ok, ok, I guess I don't want to know :eek:

More you-tubing...

Normally, I think Japanese TV is just stupid. But this is awesome.

Live Matrix Ping Pong without CGI

Japanese TV *is* stupid. But there are some really nice Chinese & Korean TV ads.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Inldz5aYxfg

Merc should like this one, or maybe it will just annoy him :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKFCJGt8YBE

*note* awe crap, stupid Rupert Murdoch and the censors-it was up there 6 months ago no problem, it's only suggestive sounds, mental imagery...sheesh, and now they make you sign in for 'adult' content only available to children under the age of 6 that sign up as 18yr old? I can't even remember what username I used for Ytub.

"The web can be dangerous, watch out" (you have to watch the super quick subtitles a few times to get it, but Merc should laught at this one):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nmdVNz-Is2w

I was gone all day on a 66 mile bike ride to my friend's dads house where we shot his .22 caliber rifle at some targets, then took a commuter train back to the city and rode back to the north side where we live. The ride was capped off nicely by a very nice tail wind in the city. I averaged over 20mph for the last 6 miles of the ride.

jtr is keeping better track of his speed demon cycling, he's faster than that on average all the time. Me...meh, I could care less how fast I'm going in MPH or my average speed, etc. I usually, almost always nowdays only cycle on my indoor trainer, cause I hate car traffic, I almost get killed all the time, it's insane. Flesh and bone, meets 2 tons of steel > want to guess what happens?

Jtr has airless tires now. Around 1990 or so, I did a foolish thing. I was in better shape then, riding every Sat/Sun morning for a couple of hours locally, maybe 30mi RT. Then I decided to ride to my friend's wife's convinience store about 55 or 60mi south, I forget the exact mileage I recorded for RT, but it was around 120mi. I was fine for about 2/3rd of the way, on the way back through Long Beach, some Effin Hispanics in a car drunk on beer I guess, or just plain POS's threw glass beer bottles out the window of their car trying to cause me to have a flat. About 10hrs into the trip I bonked, took another 4hrs, 2 of which where after sundown, and I did not bring a light. Weeks later my knees would have pings of pain in the joints...dumn mistake.

Lately I've put the computer games away; any time I'm at my computer with spare time, I'm playing with Linux. Any time I need to procrastinate from that, I'm checking the forums. I estimate I refresh this page ~40 times an hour.

Classic OCD/ADD, but then we already knew that about dd :p