Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Groping at public venues and other naughtiness maintains excitement in a relationship, and that is important to keeping a relationship healthy/successful. The occasional reach at a cafe, restaurant bathroom, or backseat on a long drive is important! ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
Groping at public venues and other naughtiness maintains excitement in a relationship, and that is important to keeping a relationship healthy/successful. The occasional reach at a cafe, restaurant bathroom, or backseat on a long drive is important! ;)
You're married now, so you've seen the last of that. :p

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
:b-day::bow::bow::bow:

We're not worthy,

Happy B-day Handy....who would have thought it would have lasted this long, tx for the memes, this little corner room/café on the Net.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
From the SSD thread, and clearly not related to that topic, except insofar as I would buy timwhit an Intel SSD for every SATA port he owns if that would result in my having a girlfriend.

Working on or dealing with social phobias would make a big start in that direction.

You know, I spent many thousands of dollars on therapy and medication over a period of several years. The side effects I had from SSRIs started within a week of taking them and generally you have to take a correct dosage for a couple months before you see any benefit. Side effects? Well, most of them left me with insomnia. All of them did screwy things to my appetite, somehow - I gained a ton of weight during the time I was on those drugs, but most of the time, I'd tell you I was uninterested in food. Worst of all, those medications gave me a sense of almost total detachment from the world. I was depressed, but I didn't CARE that I was depressed. At the same time, I lost my ability to think and to respond to the world in real-time; it was like I was an observer in my own body, and there were times when I could not do simple things like tie my shoes or remember how to start my car.

Therapy for depression and anxiety by-and-large takes two forms: There's traditional "talking" therapy, which I found unsatisfying because most of the therapists I tried visiting were either inattentive, not insightful, or more concerned about the frequency of my visits (i.e. I was seen more as a boat payment than a patient). This was always combined with the fact that there's a wide range of persons in the state of Indiana who have the right to involuntarily commit someone to the care of a metal health facility. It's very hard to be honest with someone who can lock you up on a whim.

The other form of therapy for both depression and anxiety is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. At its heart, it means Do the thing you don't like until it doesn't bother you any more. For depression this essentially boils down to pretend to be happy until you are. For anxiety, it means entering situations where you're anxious and staying involved in them. They try to teach you techniques that are supposed to help you relax and confront the discomfort. Unfortunately, my anxiety carries with it some rather uncomfortable physical side effects. It's not just that I get nervous around people; I get sudden, repeated urges to void my digestive system. One way or the other. Immodium or no. The only thing I can really do, if I know I'm going to be in a situation that makes me anxious, is not eat for a couple days beforehand.

At some point, I realized that dealing with treatment was a lot more disruptive to my life than just being depressed. I can live with the level to which I function in the world, and if being depressed is no way to go through life, I am at least statistically more likely to have a short life than someone who isn't.

If you don't feel like there are enough educated women in your area, try moving.

I barely leave my apartment, so on that level it doesn't matter.

I also don't believe I could find another full time job and I have no interest in going back to full time contracting. For that matter, knowing what the job market is like, I'm not sure I could go back to full time contracting.
Would you move somewhere new if you didn't have a secure source of income?

My feeling about the woman situation in general is that I've been looking on personals sites for YEARS to no good result. I've never met anyone as a result of being on one and I've never had a bi-directional exchange of messages from an interested party. I've looked all over the country. I don't have impossible standards by any means (24 - 38, female, not entirely gay, at least some college education, no interest in motherhood, at least a couple areas of interest in common). I make an effort (from the internet) to be intelligent and witty, and to communicate with people on subjects of mutual interest. I don't think the person I want actually exists, and if she does, I'm more or less positive at this point that she doesn't want anything to do with me. Many years of actively visiting dating sites and the law of large numbers seem to confirm this.

OKCupid says that I have sent out 1711 messages in the last four and a half years. I have 14 replies in my inbox there. No joke. With that kind of record, is there any wonder I don't have much in the way of confidence?

I've been home all goddamned week, theoretically "enjoying" my vacation time. In reality, all I've wanted is for my phone to ring, and for someone to want me to do something. I can't help but think life would be better if I had something to look forward to besides work, and if I had someone I could share it with.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for sharing, Merc. I've always believed (not that you asked) that the fundamental point of life is to pass the time between birth and death having as much fun as possible. While I can't blame you for wanting a relationship, based on the other things that you don't like, I can't imagine you would enjoy life in a relationship all that much. I can't envision how the flexibility and compromise required in a relationship could avoid the things you so violently dislike.

And if I can't see it from here, with my limited knowledge and understanding of your situation, I don't think they will see it either. That makes them massively unlikely to pursue anything. Probably too personal a question, but can you see a relationship working? Without this happening?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Thanks for sharing, Merc. I've always believed (not that you asked) that the fundamental point of life is to pass the time between birth and death having as much fun as possible.

I don't have fun. No, really. I don't. Based on observation, I know that there is such a thing. I'm not sure I've ever had any of it. The closest I really get is the sense of accomplishment I have from dispatching my responsibilities. My leisure activities are geared more toward passing time than anything else.

Someone might tell me that I need to learn to relax, but to me, there doesn't ever seem to be much in the way of actual stress in my life. I think I AM relaxed.

While I can't blame you for wanting a relationship, based on the other things that you don't like, I can't imagine you would enjoy life in a relationship all that much.

This is the part where actually knowing me would be helpful. I really enjoyed being with my ex. I liked to provide and care for her. I enjoyed the level of intimacy we had (such as it was), and for me the emotional support that came from being part of a couple was a huge boost to my sense of self.

I can't envision how the flexibility and compromise required in a relationship could avoid the things you so violently dislike.

I've done it before. As I said, things were a lot easier for me when I had a partner than they are for me by myself.

And if I can't see it from here, with my limited knowledge and understanding of your situation, I don't think they will see it either.

No one has ever gotten close enough to find out about those parts of my life. It hasn't been an issue to date because, well, I've never gotten even that far.

Probably too personal a question, but can you see a relationship working? Without this happening?

I am sure that any woman who chose to be with me could always do better. The only thing I could do is respect the choice that she has made in that regard.

The model falls down somewhere in the middle, though, since I'm not a person who would have the sort of moment of weakness being described. I put other people ahead of myself and I'm fully capable of assessing the likelihood of exactly the sort of douchebaggy behavior described in that comic.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Bought my cell phone 8yrs ago to the day, w00t---Happy new years :p Li-Ion battery still seems to have enough capacity. Down a bit, maybe as much as 50%, but most consumer LI-Ion batteries are designed for only a few years of life.

Want to get a new phone (can't read the glass LCD display very well, has become marred from usage even inside the protective case), but there aren't really any decent camphones out yet. Maybe I can wait another year and something like a Casio Exilim style PnS internal 5x-7x zoom will show up?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/12/29/casio.exilim.leaked.photos/

The phone is likely to use a WVGA screen and also may offer 3x optical zoom.

aah, crap...I'm on Sprint, probably won't get a zoom on those until 2020 :(

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is up with the Google? Every time I start to type there is a list of searches. This one was particularly goofy. Is how to find out if someone likes you, is married, or has a warrant the priority of our culture?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What is up with the Google? Every time I start to type there is a list of searches. This one was particularly goofy. Is how to find out if someone likes you, is married, or has a warrant the priority of our culture?

Actually I like that, usually auto completes for you or suggests better key words that lead to better results.

LunarMist

Was it the kind from 40-50 years ago or something more high tech?

ddrueding

Fixture
Made recently by a friend. 2 feet of 4" PVC (reaction chamber) connected to 4 feet of 2" PVC (barrel). With some hairspray in the back and the click-start from a gas barbecue. Managed about 100 yards with a potato core.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Made recently by a friend. 2 feet of 4" PVC (reaction chamber) connected to 4 feet of 2" PVC (barrel). With some hairspray in the back and the click-start from a gas barbecue. Managed about 100 yards with a potato core.

Be careful with the combustible propellant. If regular PVC glue is used it will soften and the cannon will blow apart. Compressed air is better.

ddrueding

Fixture
Agreed. I now have a 1HP/2Gal air compressor in my office capable of 125PSI. That would do the trick with an electronically-released quick valve of some kind. But he is tempted to go the other way; welded steel with an oxy-acetylene propellant.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Agreed. I now have a 1HP/2Gal air compressor in my office capable of 125PSI. That would do the trick with an electronically-released quick valve of some kind. But he is tempted to go the other way; welded steel with an oxy-acetylene propellant.

With two ten foot by four inch compressed air cambers feeding a 10 foot by 1.5 inch barrel via sprinkler head valves you can send a paint roller through cinder block. Do you really need more than that? :)

When considering combustible propellant one of the most important characteristics for producing the right kind of pressure is burn rate. If the pressure spike is high enough you can create enough pressure to blow up the chamber even with an empty barrel.

ddrueding

Fixture
With two ten foot by four inch compressed air cambers feeding a 10 foot by 1.5 inch barrel via sprinkler head valves you can send a paint roller through cinder block.

Useful information. Thanks for that.

Do you really need more than that? :)

It really isn't a matter of need...;)

When considering combustible propellant one of the most important characteristics for producing the right kind of pressure is burn rate. If the pressure spike is high enough you can create enough pressure to blow up the chamber even with an empty barrel.

I'm very aware of that. Getting something slower burning and using a longer barrel to compensate works, no?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Tomorw they may put a caste on my right hand. How to fundction for the next ~6 weeks. Ugh!

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm faster with voice recognition than just typing with my left (just my right is still faster). Do you think your accuracy will decrease typing with your left? 'Cause I don't think I could handle that...

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm faster with voice recognition than just typing with my left (just my right is still faster). Do you think your accuracy will decrease typing with your left? 'Cause I don't think I could handle that...

Wait until Lost tries to type with the toes :D. VR software only works well for those who can enunciate.If not, they don't work so well, take forever to 'learn' your voice, make so many frequent errors, not worth the frustration of correcting it all.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wait until Lost tries to type with the toes :D. VR software only works well for those who can enunciate.If not, they don't work so well, take forever to 'learn' your voice, make so many frequent errors, not worth the frustration of correcting it all.

Not the newer ones I've tried. My wife has a fairly indeniable Russian accent, and the VR in Vista handles it quite well. And it can handle me halfway through a bottle of wine, which isn't bad ;)

LOST6200

Storage is cool
oh, you have to quote him? :( left hand is no good. you cant evn go to the toilt properly.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope, in America. Having to reach across and shift with the left hand while driving in traffic (signaling, etc) was a challenge.

Could be worse, a buddy of mine lost his left leg. He has a hell of a time with the clutch.

Handruin

Administrator
Do you remember what you were talking to yourself about? Did you stop talking to yourself once you noticed or were you continuing a good conversation? ;-)

LunarMist

Aw, crap. Later this week I must travel to the US central zone. Wind chill is expected to be -28°C. in the morning. :eek:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Aw, crap. Later this week I must travel to the US central zone. Wind chill is expected to be -28°C. in the morning. :eek:

Speak English damn it, this is the USA! (was that too racial? :p )

-18.4°F wind chill (so what, 5-10°F w/o wind chill factor?).

Going to visit Merc?