Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Wow Merc, I had no idea who you were at SR. It's been so long, I haven't thought of you as anything but Mercutio. Am I the only one that keeps their handle everywhere?

Mercutio is too common of a handle to have it everywhere. I have a different one I use now, though I don't register for new services very often.

And yes, my user ID number is 7. I was, I think, the second non-admin account created after the MBF, because I had donated money to help SR.

Also, happy 5000 posts, "Something Random!"

Handruin

Administrator
I had donated also, I think Eugene had pre-registered several of us after the MBF. I looked and I was #16 registered.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Member No.: 3,4xx
1xx posts

I wasn't in a hurry to join after the crash. Memory's pretty hazy. Different handle.

Handruin

Administrator
Creative 100 cupcakes representing video and board games over the years. My personal favorite is the one for Adventure.

Adventure.jpg

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't remember my password or the email address I signed up with. I presume you have to log in to see that number you guys are talking about. I think there were a whole slew of us that Were registered the day after the data loss.

Handruin

Administrator
If you remember your account name, just look it up and click on the profile. In the URL will be your ID number. If this is you, you were registered as #10.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's not a coincidence. Doug started this place because Eugene planned to disband SR after the MBF.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Where do you see a number attached to the account over there, in the URL? If so I am 5604 only signed up in 2002.

LunarMist

From http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=27940

Which I can guess that means Eugene has sold the site, and

Might want to check our http://www.notebookreview.com and http://www.technologyguide.com/ to see what the future may hold. (Very sad if that is the future).

PS. On technologyguide.com there is a link right at the bottom of the page to here: http://www.techtarget.com/

Now that last link is interesting.

Can you believe that their first drive to review is the 2TB Hibachi in a USB enclosure. WTF is the point?

The new writer says "It has a whopping 2.0TB of space, which is more than all the other storage I have combined."
There is nothing like an expert with no HDs under his belt. :roll:

Eugene must be turning in his grave. :(

fb

Storage is cool
My understanding is that most cars burn a gallon of fuel for every half hour that they idle.
Which explains my gas mileage on those trips I make to Westmont.
Maybe it's a little bit old by now... Anyway - I made an observation this morning when I drove a Skoda Fabia 1.4 liter 16v - it used 0.9-1 liter/hour at idle according to the on board computer, that's ~ 1/4 gallon/hour? I know it's not the most common car in the USA, but I thought I should share this information anyway. :)

LunarMist

I have no idea if the lump is in Eugene's pants or his ancestors' pants. It does nothing for me.

LunarMist

7 months later and now it is in stock? Do they really expect me to buy it after all this time? Good grief!

LunarMist

A car was left in PA since early December with the GPS in it. Temperature was far below the specs. Is it kaput?

Oddly enough the GPS was shipped out to my location, but of course I am not there any more. Naturally I bought another GPS. The battery is running low.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Young children who are smacked 'go on to be more successful'

Teenagers in the survey who had been smacked only between the ages of two and six performed best on all the positive measures.

Those who had been smacked between seven and 11 fared worse on negative behaviour but were more likely to be academically successful. Teenagers who were still smacked fared worst on all counts.

Before anyone here throws a fit, note that the researchers aren't advocating beating a child senseless. Rather, they're advocating mild forms of corporal punishment like spanking, and only when all other forms of discipline fail. Also, corporal punishment seems to be increasingly ineffective and even counterproductive at much over the age of six. I think it has to do with the different stages of brain development. A young child simply doesn't have the capacity to understand the reasons they can't do something. This is why corporal punishment can be effective at that age. They don't need to know why they can't do something, only that it hurts when they do. Once their reasoning centers start to develop however, corporal punishment only succeeds in making them rebel against authority. Yes, I got smacked as a child. I still remember my mom chasing after me with the wooden spoon. But by the time I was six or seven, it was more a joke than anything. She couldn't hit me hard enough to hurt, so she pretty much stopped. My father's mother had it lot worse, however. Her father used to use the infamous cat of nine tails soaked in salt water. Obviously that sort of thing isn't being advocated here.

fb

Storage is cool
How young? I think my son who is almost 2 year old knows pretty much what he can and can't do at home, and we haven't beaten him once and I don't have any plans of beating him either. We'll see what kind of results he'll get.

On the other hand, many corporate leaders lost one parent early, so they had to learn and take responsibility at a young age. So it might be more effective to get into a lethal accident when the children are about five years old or something?

fb

Storage is cool
Sure, because we all know that spanking = beating. :skepo:
No, and you can raise your children as you like as long as you're not breaking the laws of your country. I'm just a bit skeptical towards the conclusion that the spanking part was the reason for the happiness. And if it is: Is there anything we non-spanking parents can do to compensate for the lack of a good spanking now and then?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
How young? I think my son who is almost 2 year old knows pretty much what he can and can't do at home, and we haven't beaten him once and I don't have any plans of beating him either. We'll see what kind of results he'll get.
If he listens to the limits you set, then there's no need for corporal punishment, or at least that's the point I think the article is trying to make. Lucky you. When I used to work with my neighbor's kiddie entertainment business, I found the under 5 year olds the worst to deal with. They wouldn't listen at all. They probably did it on purpose knowing my options for dealing with their failure to listen were severely limited. I can and did kick a number of kids off the rides who refused to do as told, however. That was really the only option I had.

When I was a kid I was notorious for testing the limits my parents set, as well as getting into stuff I had no business being in. :diablo: I guess it was a curiosity thing. I'm amazed they didn't kick the crap out of me more than they did.

I'm just a bit skeptical towards the conclusion that the spanking part was the reason for the happiness. And if it is: Is there anything we non-spanking parents can do to compensate for the lack of a good spanking now and then?
Maybe scream at the top of your lungs and act like you're going to give a good spanking? Like I said, if your son is doing nothing to merit any sort of severe discipline, then I don't think you'll have problems. Some kids are like that-they don't really test limits, at least until they're teenagers. ;) And by then corporal punishment only makes things worse. Be happy you have a good kid. A lot of parents have little monsters on their hands.

ddrueding

Fixture
No, and you can raise your children as you like as long as you're not breaking the laws of your country. I'm just a bit skeptical towards the conclusion that the spanking part was the reason for the happiness. And if it is: Is there anything we non-spanking parents can do to compensate for the lack of a good spanking now and then?

I think we are running into a correlation/causation thing. Those who tend to use corporal punishment are discipline-minded, and therefore are likely consistent in their rules and enforcement than those who don't.

Since we are working on having a kid, I pay a lot of attention to kids in public places. The biggest issue is that most parents just don't care, and let their kids get away with far too much. Then when it inconveniences the parents, the spanking happens, but to no purpose as the inconsistency sends such a mixed message.