Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought they used polarized glasses and dual projectors, not the red / blue crap? :confused:

IMAX uses horizontal polarization. RealD 3D uses circular polarization. Dolby 3D puts the costly tech in the glasses - custom filters etc, and apparently has the best results.

The circular polarization allows for the dipping of the head etc without ill effects.

Be aware there's two types of IMAX. One is the real, 70mm film, massively large screen ridgey didge version.

Then there's the bullshit version using two 2K digital projectors and a smaller screen. It's called IMAX digital. Compared to 70mm it looks like ass.

The confusion abounds because there is nothing to tell you that the IMAX cinema you are about to visit has either a real 70mm large screen venue or is in fact just another cinema multiplex auditorium with a slightly larger screen. Given the premium pricing of an IMAX ticket, I would suggest locating a real IMAX screen, give the digital IMAX a skip as it really isn't a special experience.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/ImaxMapUS.htm

Just skip the red locations and you should be OK.

Handruin

Administrator
Mine is:

SR, 52.9x70.0 feet,
264 seats,
opened 8/22/2002

It also does 3D, but the map doesn't indicate that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
IMAX uses horizontal polarization. RealD 3D uses circular polarization. Dolby 3D puts the costly tech in the glasses - custom filters etc, and apparently has the best results.

The circular polarization allows for the dipping of the head etc without ill effects.

Be aware there's two types of IMAX. One is the real, 70mm film, massively large screen ridgey didge version.

Then there's the bullshit version using two 2K digital projectors and a smaller screen. It's called IMAX digital. Compared to 70mm it looks like ass.

The confusion abounds because there is nothing to tell you that the IMAX cinema you are about to visit has either a real 70mm large screen venue or is in fact just another cinema multiplex auditorium with a slightly larger screen. Given the premium pricing of an IMAX ticket, I would suggest locating a real IMAX screen, give the digital IMAX a skip as it really isn't a special experience.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/ImaxMapUS.htm

Just skip the red locations and you should be OK.

Thanks for this, I have been calling those the getto imax locations. Looks like the only thing I have around here are jourdans furnature in green tabs.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Nice, both are listed as SR 3D so 15/70 film projector.

Full-screen
MA, Reading: Jordan's Furniture Inc
Last Updated by LF Examiner on Nov 24
SR, 63.6x85.4 feet,
514 seats,
opened 10/29/2004

or

Full-screen
MA, Natick: Jordan's Furniture Inc
Last Updated by LF Examiner on Nov 24
SR, 52.9x70.0 feet,
264 seats,
opened 8/22/2002

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Seriously though, will the Atavar be viewable on normal TV eventually? Based on the reviews, I would not like it very much, certainly not enough to visit a theater, whether 2D, 3D or 4D.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes Lunar it is showing in 2D in many cinemas now and will eventually be available on blu-ray, DVD and eventually cable and free to air television.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just got talked into running a meeting of 150 people whose organization I don't belong to. I don't even know all the rules to football (American). The great part? The meeting starts in 56 minutes. ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm going up to Milwaukee on Amtrak, I missed the 5:08pm train by about 90 seconds. I had to wait 2 hours and 57 minutes for the next train. At least I had time to drink a couples beers while I waited.

They close and lock the doors 5 minutes prior to departure, otherwise I'd already be there.

On the positive side, the train smells like burning rubber.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just got talked into running a meeting of 150 people whose organization I don't belong to. I don't even know all the rules to football (American). The great part? The meeting starts in 56 minutes. ;)

Well, that was exciting. I only had to do about half of it, but that was enough. 80 high-school football players and their psycho parents. Got all the forms filled out, did the briefing, got everyone's picture taken. Going to bed.

LunarMist

Why did "storageforum.newt" get redirected to the Bling? Has MS taken over all of the searches?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
storageforum.newt = instantly not found and I am on fairpoint whom took over for verizon in my area.

Sincerely hope no one was at work today. I am on call for trouble but I really hope we don't have any techs that are trying to slip in some OT, take a load off already. Myself I got up late, lost track of time making a decent breakfast and had to haul ass down to a 1030 showing of Avatar. Well lets face it if I wasn't late I would have still been screaming, I enjoy this car far too much. Anyway on the movie all shows today were sold out well before I got there, thankfully I bought my tickets yesterday but there were a lot of unhappy people in the crowd. Unfortunately due to my late arrival (only twenty minutes before the first show) I got a shitty seat, last row far left seat with some people whom I thought were going to be a problem but to their credit, other than checking text messages quietly, they all made no noise so I added some faith that common theater courtesy exists in some rare pockets which is nice because this is my first time in a theater this year. It was a pretty good show but yeah, totally predictable plot so just don't let it ruin the ride. Not a lot of hey wow 3D effects which was nice but I still feel it added something to the experience while they kept it subtle but merc is right on the color leach, looks like it will really pop on bluray.

Looks like all my friends are offline so I'm going to catch up on some Wire season 5 and sip some makers.

ddrueding

Fixture
Still at work, but I'll be leaving soon. Bought one more present for the wife, and a prank gift for dinner with the boss tomorrow. I already got him a WTF? mug that he uses daily.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Anyone else still at work?
Sorry, I was too busy to notice your post. I finished at 2:15am tonight (early Christmas day). I came home with the last check paying the last job from my last customer before my Christmas "break".

I take two days off, before restarting the 27th. I have an important project to deliver the 29th, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Today I'll be in for just a bit. Received a counter-offer on the house which we plan to accept. As it is a short-sale, the banks still need to approve it (first and second mortgage). But we already have our financing in place.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Grr, as a mental health improvement gift from me to me I ordered some memory for my company laptop. Stupid ebay seller shipped it in a padded envelope with no ESD protection and of course imagine my complete lack of surprise when it didn't work. Only reason I did that in the first place is I couldn't find that exact part number anywhere else and I was trying to match the memory up. I guess I will just try and get something as close as possible locally. Funny how that backfired and I messed myself up.

LunarMist

I have had few memory compatibility issues with recent laptops. The basic Kingston and Crucial modules are usually just fine.

LunarMist

Getting ready to drive up to the top of the hill with a bottle of bubbly. Happy New Years all.

I drank a whole botlte of that by myself. :drinka: First time ever and probably the last.
Alcohol is strange. :santa: