Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The last time I was in the far east half of my luggage was trail mix, dried fruits and granola. Chocolate bars do not fare well in the heat.:)

LunarMist

Damn, that was too many lentil beans. Pizza delivery order tonight. I should have rented a vehicle.

Handruin

Administrator
I got home late last night and when I got in the door the first thing I noticed was that it was cold in my place. I could hear the heat pump running and I could visually see the light was lit on the thermostat indicating the supplimental heating unit was on. I knew something wasn't right. The fan motor died (again) in less than a year. Who knows how long my heat pump and supplemental heater had been running with no way to move the heat into the house. I called my owner this morning and it'll have to wait until Monday. The place doesn't have the parts needed. He brought me over some portable heaters to use until then. I was in the 20's last night outside and about 50F inside. I don't like it that cold, but it was manageable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Raining pretty hard here. Had a blast of a drive around some local roads before my wife woke up with the traction control off, then took her to the rock-gym and looking for some sun. Ended up driving about 150 miles around the whole peninsula. Quite a good day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Xmas present for an enormously nerdy chick?

* Authentic Kimono and associated accessories

* Radeon 5850 (assuming I can find one and yes she games enough to appreciate it)

* Heirloom quality set of Lord of the Rings book

I await your input.

ddrueding

Fixture
Kimono is fun and suggestive.

Is the power requirements of the 5850 low enough to ensure compatibility?

LotR is always good, but I'm thinking #1 myself.

LunarMist

Xmas present for an enormously nerdy chick?

* Authentic Kimono and associated accessories

* Radeon 5850 (assuming I can find one and yes she games enough to appreciate it)

* Heirloom quality set of Lord of the Rings book

I await your input.

What are you expecting from her for Christmas? Ask yourself if this is overdoing it.

LunarMist

German keyboards (in Austria) were always a hassle for me, mainly because of the Y-Z swap.

LunarMist

Wow! The 5850 is one big honking video card. It probably uses more power than the whole motherboard of that system I recently built.

LunarMist

Why? Is the purpose to depict slaughter in higher resolution/realism?

Handruin

Administrator
I mentioned my heat went out late Friday night and today the repair guys came to fix it. After waiting around for them all day it turns out they didn't fix it correctly. They installed a new fan motor (which was desperately needed) but they put a 110V motor in when it needed a 220V!

Needless to say the fan didn't run very well for very long. Right after they installed it, it ran ok for about 5 minutes before turning off by itself. I had to call them back and after about 25 minutes of troubleshooting they felt kind of bad for the mistake. Now I have to wait until tomorrow for them to get the correct part. Oh well, not that big of a deal, but still annoying.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK so...

5850s are damned hard to find, will only be awesome for a couple of years and are kind of impersonal. She'll use it and like it, but kind of like sending flowers, it'll eventually not be worth a crap.

A kimono might be the wrong message. But it will last a lifetime and she'd probably get a kick out of it.

Lord of the Rings Book Set. This is for a woman who calls herself Frodo, so there's obviously some personal meaning, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as a video card or kimono.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why? Is the purpose to depict slaughter in higher resolution/realism?

Nope. Just run quieter. My machine is pretty darn quiet now, even with everything OC'd, but my office would be 5x quieter without all those fans.

The games I play are mostly racing/flying simulators, along with some design software. Even CS4 takes advantage of my GPU.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was just informed by a vendor that Samsung's PCL6 implementation is incomplete.

Printer: Samsung ML-3050
Firmware: 1.01.07.59 09-18-2007
PCL6 Version: 5.49 06-22-2007

Can't find any updates on Samsung's site. Blah.

Stereodude

Not really a
OK so...

5850s are damned hard to find, will only be awesome for a couple of years and are kind of impersonal. She'll use it and like it, but kind of like sending flowers, it'll eventually not be worth a crap.

A kimono might be the wrong message. But it will last a lifetime and she'd probably get a kick out of it.

Lord of the Rings Book Set. This is for a woman who calls herself Frodo, so there's obviously some personal meaning, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as a video card or kimono.
How about the Kimono and the books? Skip the video card.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Just finished writing a GUI client for MP3 players that use MTP (and not UMS) to talk to a PC.

It's targeted at Solaris 10, so it's requirements are fairly low.

http://chewy509.110mb.com/gMTP.html

Unlike most other Linux and *BSD distro's, S10 has an ancient version of GTK+ (v2.4.9), which makes it very difficult to get modern mtp clients working on S10. So I wrote my own client...

Comments as always are welcomed.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Schuss! At 94, Mammoth Mountain resort founder is shooting the slopes (with a camera)
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-out-there15-2009dec15,0,1634933.story

^misleading...bad play on words; @94 with bad knees, he's not doing 'schussing' anymore...least he still has most of his hair :p

I remember reading an article about McCoy in the early-mid 2000's, he was in his mid-80's and riding a mtn bike everyday, probably right around the time he sold his interest in the ski area. Think he was still skiing, modestly then too.

Age catches up with all of us, though my body seems to be falling apart faster than many :(. My mother could use a knee replacement, but in her weak state of health such an op could be fatal, McCoy, while older, is in much better shape than either of my parents.

Writer of the article must not know much about Mammoth. I think I was only @Mammoth with my family once as a teenager? Maybe twice. Only been to the place possibly a 1/2 dozen times, but many memories. As a teenager I remember that chairlift in this pix, was moved to mid-mtn from base area, while a quad replaced it in the orig location. My parents skied there when they only had a rope tow, back in the late 50's, early 60's IIRC.

You can see the gondola to the right, so that B&W shot is from the mid-60's, captions under pics are indicative of ignorance....they also look so poor I wonder if they were Polaroid/fading prints---neg film should have given much better IQ?

Lift tickets are so insanely expensive these days $75/day- it's like $5 per run if you are in great shape and ski all day. I thought $16/day in the 70's was expensive enough :D

51058555.jpg

I believe the 1st chairlift went up in 1958, and the temp rope tow was started the last years of the 40's or early 50's, so pic below is of a pre-resort area town of Mammoth Lakes (~5miles from the mtn ski area)...seeing none of the auto's are from the 50's:

51058563.jpg

Notice in the vid McCoy is using a 30in Apple Cinema display :), Canon EOS1 & xxD series...also note the older BT white KB, *vastly* superior to the new 'skinny' KB's that are junk Apple sells now. Have to say the 27in LED b.l. iMac screen is much better though, 21in LED iMac screen looks unimpressive in comparison

We note, Apple wins for ad campaign of the decade...Get a Mac :D

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/12/14/apple.spots.beat.truth.mastercard.ads/

"The genius is in the casting," says Adweek columnist Barbara Lippert. "The Mac guy, Justin Long, is a younger version of Steve Jobs who is casual and comfortable in his skin. PC, personified by John Hodgman, as a rounder, paler Bill Gates, is a well-meaning geek with all kinds of operating problems."

^kind of doubt the Justin Long casting was for a 'younger Steve Jobs' as Steve-0 is anything at all like the "Mac guy"; renowned for being a ranting, temperamental A-hole- then and now :p

Handruin

Administrator
I converted one of our HP blades into a server 2003 R2 server to be used as an Oracle DB. Do you think it'll run ok on this? :)

edit: this is a dual CPU Intel Xeon X5550 @ 2.67GHz.

Handruin

Administrator
That is a single blade? With 48GB of RAM and 16 cores? Running ESXi, that would handle my whole company.

It's 8 cores hyper threaded which I guess makes it a little less impressive.

It was an ESX 4.0 about an hour ago. I was asked to pop out one of the two internal drives and use the second drive for a server 2003 install. We need to test a specific product on the bare iron. The machine is ridiculously over powered for just oracle (it'll actually have SQL server 2005 installed also). This blade chassis was originally built/ordered to be used as an ESX server. It's a 10 blade 7000c from HP. That's our ESX farm. :) We have 71 VMs powered on at the moment.

Handruin

Administrator
Most of our VMs are 2 VCPUs with 4 GB RAM. We have lots of growing room to go.

LunarMist

For some reason I have been snorting like an impala lately. It's very odd. I can hardly stop.