Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
I also have a Grado SR60, had it for a year now. They have a nicely balanced sound. Only problem is they are indoor phones. No use listening to them in a noisy environment.
Ah, yes, after an hour, my ears tend to heat up. Of course, it's hot here.

I notice the same thing with noise. I use mine at work a lot and it helps me to focus during my work, but noise is easily heard from outside. That was expected given the design of the headphones. In a quiet area, there is great detail to be heard in music.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are serious consequences to not getting enough sleep. Stuff about REM sleep rejuvenating the mind and non-REM sleep rejuvenating the body. It has been proven that insufficient sleep can lead to diabetes, blood pressure, atherosclerosis and heart disease.

I am equally guilty of not getting enough sleep, but such is my work pattern. A person has to put food on the table and pay the bills, even if it kills him/her.

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually got some sleep last night, nearly 8 hours, but I still feel super tired. I might get a few days off after Christmas, that would be nice.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All work and no rest contributed to having to have four arteries replace on my heart.
When you get a couple of free moments, sit and stare at a blank tv/monitor screen with no noise. Think about the big picture. Like what good are you to the people you care about if you are dead.

Learn to relax and make time for your family and friends.

ddrueding

Fixture
Learn to relax and make time for your family and friends.

Funny you mention that. Last weekend I went down to visit my 90-year-old grandmother. Ended up painting and exterminating the whole time, working harder and longer than usual to complete the work so I could get back to my desk and rest.

paugie

Storage is cool
Singapore visit

You might want to take a peek. The wife and I spent a week in Singapore Oct28-Nov4. She was needing a rest from teaching pre-schoolers, so I wangled airfare from a friend and stayed with friends to keep expenses down. All in all a happy week. There are some other pix but they're in Facebook and you will probably need to be "friends" before you can view them. Not good pix enough to be worth the trouble. But these can be clicked and viewed without hassle.
http://paugie.multiply.com/photos/album/35/Day2_in_Singapore

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The first guy I thought about when I saw your picture was Dr. No's bodygard (the one with the razor hat), on a diet and with glasses.

There must be a lot of tourists in Singapore. I'm sure there's quite a lot to see. Are the Petronas towers there of am I confusing their location with another city in that part of the world?

ddrueding

Fixture
The towers are in Kuala Lumpur (sp?) IIRC. The thing I noticed first in Singapore were the Mercedes Taxis, and the crazy clean-ness of everything. That is also where I went to my first computer gaming center...friggin awesome. Zerg rush FTW!

paugie

Storage is cool
Yes, I get the image, Coug. =))
Dave is right. The Petronas Towers are in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It's a 4 hour train ride from Singapore. The cleanliness is refreshing. Hmmm, let me post a pic of the place we have here...

Wait I'll have to hunt around. I am in the process of arranging my photos.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Black Friday spam... I'm receiving e-mails about sales from about every company on the internet. It's crazy. :bigeek:

LunarMist

Does Spybot still exist? Someone is asking me for help, saying it does not update any more.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think spybot moved their update servers last year or at least a long time ago. I would get a fresh version of the app from their site if your having problems.

ddrueding

Fixture
I thought you were looking to build your own custom house? Congrats and good luck.

We were, but what I want isn't in our budget at the moment. My wife is also reluctant to commit so much money to something that doesn't exist. I'm hoping to calm her fears by vaulting the main room in the new house and replace the kitchen myself.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does Spybot still exist? Someone is asking me for help, saying it does not update any more.

1.5.x won't update past a certain point. If you have 1.6.x, it'll offer to update to 1.6.2 for you, but if you have 1.5.something, it just updates to the last set of updates for 1.5.

ddrueding

Fixture
Good luck with that. I hope the seller is motivated. :bglaugh:

Indeed. My agent did some research, and found that he is in pre-foreclosure on another house already. Looking at what he owes on all of them, he will need to pull all the equity he has out of the other 4 houses to cover the additional debt on this one to complete the sale. Otherwise he might lose them all.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Grado headphones. I've heard that they are good, so I decided to pick up a pair with my last order from B&H. The only one they carry is the iGrado, their low-end, but it has the same driver as the next one up.

Conclusion? These are the best headphones I've ever heard, but they have the cheapest, least comfortable, completely nonadjustable headband and shortest cord I've ever seen. What a piece of crap. I've never had something be both so good and so bad all at once. Now of course, I'm compelled to buy a more expensive product from them because their product is crap. What a conundrum.

Man, what is it with you boneheaded Windoze/IntelSSD/Grado guys? Techgeek, hardly...more bland, middle of the road conservatives, who don't bother ever trying anything "new" (beyond the typical limited scope) :p

Best hp u ever herd? Then u haven't heard much...not sayin much either :p

Did we have this discussion in the old hp thread?

Already, go spend a few months reading over here:

Then get any kind of DAC/amp for your budget.

I have a craptastic 1st gen Headroom 2aa powered portable hp amp. Bought the last pair of Sony pretend 'studio monitor' hp @BestBuy BF, door buster @$10, cause I pulled the cord one 2 many times on the old Senn 437's and lost a channel. Those Sony's are for the most part a $10 retail pair of earbud drivers stuck into the cheapest of earpad, tiny, plastic hp you could imagine. Sound out of my laptop sucks so bad, just terribly flat, thin...that and I can put those on my hot ear lobes for more than 15min b4 I have to take them off. But with the HR amp, they can be driven to pretty decent levels with slightly less muddy sound, definitely an improvement.

The appear to have stopped making the very light weight succesor to the Senn HD437, now called 457. U can buy them new for $25. They don't have an ear 'cupping' pad, just an oval flat piece of 1/8in thick foam covering the drivers, so zero sound isolation...which can be a good thing if you need to here something like the phone ringing.

Plug those into a decent hp amp and you have good sound. Nowhere near as enveloping and deep bass or range as the HD600, but seeing how they cost 1/10th the HD600's (which I gave to my mother after she got lung cancer many years ago, that I paid $300 for back then, and they still cost that today, if not more).

Senn HD457's on Amazon

^ these are super lightweight, and hence very non-fatiguing to wear, plus large ovals mean less pressure, wide distribution compared to smaller/lighter weight models with formed earcups/pads. I might order a 2nd set, since they seemed to have discontinued the design.

I"m going to buy the DAC/amp E7's when they come out, most likely, $100 is a good price (yeah Fu, they have a built-in non replaceable Li-Ion bat, just like the iPhone...deal with it). What I haven't ever considered is if the USB 1.0 ports of my laptop output audio, as a way to bypass the 3.5mm hp jack, and laptop's own crappy DAC?

Another thing I can tell you, the HD600 will whip the Grado 60's (sure, they should for the cost) silly, even w/o amplification, unless you have super finicky ears. Poorly driven, unamped HD600's still sound amazingly good compared to lower cost models. But you do need an amp if you want to go the xtra mile for a boost in sound quality. My mother probably can't tell the difference...unless you do a side-by-side A/B comparison. I can tell, but it's not a HUGE difference. But enough of a difference to make you *always* want to use an amp, whenever you have the choice.

Ok, the HD800 are currently the world's best, but I can't fathom $1,300 (on sale today for Cyber Monday deals Stereodude, what are you waiting for, jump on it :D) for any hp's or IEM (inner ear monitors :p ).

do my hd650's need an amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/do-my-hd650s-need-amp-406261/

Best Portable amp under $100??
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/best-portable-amp-under-100-a-457105/

FiiO E7 (due out next month)
^Interesting u can get the E1's on dealextreme.com 4 $20 now, shipped.

Inline super cheap amp (can't drive much current, will do little to up a current hungry hp like the HD600) for your iPhone/iPod's, needs no batteries...meh, $20 seems like something I should buy for those $10 BB doorbuster Sony's :p

FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/fiio-e1-e7-speculation-no-more-now-guest-starring-e9-436942/

^oh wait, they just added E9 rumors this morning. artist renditions of the e7's in this thread, delayed until Jan at least.

*edit* 999 posts, that's like upside down 666? :evil: :diablo:

Handruin

Administrator
Trying the Grado is beyond a limited scope. If you were to ask most people who they were...they probably never heard of Grado. I guess you wouldn't know much about going beyond the limited scope of a Mac either since you probably have a tattoo of Steve Jobs drawn on your leg constantly reminding you to be faithful.

The HD600 are over 5 times the cost of what I paid for my pair of Grado. I don't have a need to go that much further into better headphones. I'm certainly not lugging a portable amp around with me to listen to music.

I didn't realize your precious mac had such terrible audio output. I thought they always geared themselves to be superior in multimedia? Maybe you should consider getting a PC where you can actually change the audio board with something non-proprietary.

LunarMist

Trying the Grado is beyond a limited scope. If you were to ask most people who they were...they probably never heard of Grado.

I've never heard of Grado except in this forum, but I am far behind the times. The last pair of high grade headphones I purchased was about 30 years ago, and eventually I was electrocuted by them. :shaking:

LunarMist

Anyone have over 15,000 posts on a forum? It will take me until 2011-2012 though at the current rate. (Yeah I know Merc and perhaps David will have that much here by then.) I amazed at those with 40K. I'd never live long enough to make that, but I work and don't post there.

LunarMist

F*ck. The mail is all flooded and she smells moldy. It's been a week.