Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
So, in short summery, people overclocked their 1156-based CPUs to an extreme level and burnt out the pins on Foxconn manufactured 1156 sockets. The picture shown was from an overclock to 5.19GHz...they tried and got burnt.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I wouldn't call it an issue since it doesn't happen at stock frequency and voltage. It's an unfortunate limitation, but not one that will affect many. On a side note, both the GigaByte P55-UD3R and Asus P7P55D that I have here use the Foxconn "socket" (LGA).

The LGA1156 looks fragile because the pins are quite a bit smaller than those in the LGA775. The boards do not bend, however, when the heatsink is clipped, unlike most LGA775 boards. That's because of the metal backplate on the other side of the "socket". Voltage regulation circuitries also are very elaborate compared to most low-to-midrange LGA775 boards.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm not saying it is a fatal flaw. Rather, it is something to consider and the manufacturers are likely to switch sockets to the brands that do not do that over time. So, I think, it will be self correcting.

Coug, you may be correct that the motherboards boards may prove to be more fragile, but I'm not yet convinced that that is a real issue. The size of the pins (or ball-sockets) are a red herring in that regardless of the bending of the MB, the socket isn't going to bend and that is what matters when considering the proper alignment of the balls and sockets.

If there is a flexing (or lack thereof) issue, I suspect that that problem will show up quickly as people add their enormous heat sinks. That being said, most large heat sinks come with their own spring-loaded metal backplates to limit and distribute the mechanical strees they apply to the boards. So I guess, we'll see if there is a problem or not in the coming months.

I'm not sure what you mean by more complex voltage regulation circuitries. To my knowledge there isn't a significant voltage regulation design change required for the 1156. If you are seeing more complex voltage regulation circuitries in lower end MB's then I would argue that the manufacturers are simply incorporating older higher-end technologies into their lower end motherboards for reliability reasons: Feature creep.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
No nippleage, so I guess its SFW, but ya know how timwitt's going to complain it's gonna get him to hot @work, cause him problems there :) :

http://www.angryasianman.com/2009/10/holy-crap-grace-park-in-maxim.htm

[FONT=helvetica, arial]Thank you, Disgrasian, for keeping me informed of the important issues of hotness. Specifically, news that Grace Park is rocking the latest cover of Maxim (with Battlestar Galactica co-star Tricia Helfer) and looking frakkin' hot as hell. Excuse me, my computer is melting.

I kind of hate Maxim... but daaaaaamn, I love Grace Park. Want more? See her co-starring alongside John Cho in West 32nd
ir
, now available on DVD, and in Battlestar Galactica: The Plan
ir
, available on DVD later this month.
[/FONT]

http://theflickcast.com/2009/10/16/...e-park-promote-the-plan-dvd-with-maxim-cover/

Hmmm, women w/guns in bikinis...bet there's some kind of symbolism there that Merc can explain :p

Frakkin just give me a clone of smokin Grace...maybe 2 :D... I don't ask 4 much :p

Handruin

Administrator
I'm spending some time in Canada this week. I'm hanging out in Drummondville and going up to Quebec tomorrow with a bunch of friends.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I almost went to Drummondville this evening, but my business there was canceled. Very few people speak english there. What are you doing in Québec?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm here for vacation. Just exploring around taking pictures and viewing the scenery. My friends transferred a time share week to stay in Beaupré, QC. We just stopped in Drummondville to rent a room. The guy behind the counter spoke a little English so we were in luck.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Me too but I am in Calgary on business, generally english isn't a problem here but I would not mind picking up some french at all.

Handruin

Administrator
My girlfriend bought a french CD for us to listen to during our trip up and also a translation book. We're picking up a few words here and there but so far everyone we've interacted with knows some english to help us out. They've been very accommodating and friendly.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How can I determine the fuel economy when the vehicle is stationary? The computer is useless and there are no specs that I can find.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My understanding is that most cars burn a gallon of fuel for every half hour that they idle.
Which explains my gas mileage on those trips I make to Westmont.

fb

Storage is cool
My understanding is that most cars burn a gallon of fuel for every half hour that they idle.

That sounds a little bit on the high side, my first car (Opel Kadett GSI from 1985) had an 1.8 liter engine and it used 2.3 liters/hour when idling @ working temperature - at least according to the computer. And it used ~4-5 times that when the engine was cold.

ddrueding

Fixture
There are very few cars with such a small displacement around here. The average in the parking lot outside my office right now is about 3-3.5 liters.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Post reply #1:

Can I pla twitteriffic™ <140char, 1-2 sentence, postin 2? :p

I suppose I should just let the typical vetting game proceed? :p

Post reply #2:

Typical OP Q which because of it's lack of usable, concise, specific text; results in typ vetting twitteriffic followups :p

Post reply #3 ^hit 140char limit :p

How can I determine the fuel economy when the vehicle is stationary? The computer is useless and there are no specs that I can find.

determine 'fuel economy'? U mean how much fuel is consumed @idle in general, or specific model/make/engine car?

Post reply #4: ^ above post using 'consumed' rather than ambiguous/misleading 'economy' could result in far <10 twitteriffic replies so far :p

Post reply #5: LM, Google is your friend

Post reply #6 (unnecessary, cuz could have put in reply #5 w/o >limit, but also !v Tweety<mor shorter posts, the better :p ):

Idle gas consumption

post reply #7: (also could have put in above...but <140 char limit, note in thread above, likewise sa '0mpg @idle' post :p)

SCAN GAUGE II FOR VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 1996

http://www.scangauge.com/

post reply #8: ^where ur understanding come from? U had a Honda Fit?

post reply #9 v
Tell us the make/model/engine and I'm sure we can come close.

Y do U say that? RR/Ferrari 12cyl@idle = 1.5L econobox, "close" by what mesr?

ddrueding said:
There are very few cars with such a small displacement around here. The average in the parking lot outside my office right now is about 3-3.5 liters.

post reply #10: ^only proves UR part of a gas guzz family :p

Civic, sans Si, 1.8L compact, most subcompacts 1.5l, Fit is 1.5 IIRC LM has big V8???

Post reply #11: nm, 2 many twitteriffic™ posts already...bI :alb:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

This guy seems to think differently: half a gallon an hour. I've never paid attention honestly though I did forget and leave my car idling for 2-3 hours once.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Old advice for carburetor vehicles was if you are stopped longer than 5 minutes shut off the engine, but under 5 minutes if you shut it off you actually waste gas because of that choke. Pretty sure that doesn't apply to injected cars now.

Hybrids would do really well in that situation, they all shut off the engine when stopped.

LunarMist

My friend wants to come back again in April if possible, though both coming and going she wound up racing snow in Wyoming (on the first of October), so it may or may not actually happen.

Her drive here took 22 hours, mostly due to bad weather out west.

The best thing for me is that I didn't have any anxiety issues during her visit, which I was very concerned about.

Mostly, though, it went really well.

I missed this post on holiday. It's great news that things went well. :) If you are really interested, get your ass on a plane soon rather than wait until April.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Last December I sat idling on a snow covered highway for 6.5 hours in a Subaru Forrester and we used less than 2 gallons of fuel. The whole trip was 10 hours and the car used ~4 gallons of fuel, which included 120 miles (60 miles leaving and 60 miles going back because of a closed highway) of driving. It's not exact information, but I hope it helps.

BR

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Considering that huge 4000+ HP diesel locomotives burn 3 to 5 gallons per hour at idle, I doubt that a car with 1/20th to 1/10th the horsepower burns 1 or 2 as some here are saying. I know gasoline engines are about half as efficient as large diesels, but still that figure seems rather high. The real figure is probably in the neighborhood of 0.25 to 0.5 gph, depending upon engine size and idle speed, although I'll allow that something totally over the top like a Hummer might use 1 gph.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone know a cop? They idle for 8 hours at a time for construction zones and will know really well what those cars do in the gallons per hour of just sitting. With all the lights, radios and computers in those cars they just can't shut them off.

LunarMist

Apparently Julie thinks she's speed racer. I did not know it was possible to reach nearly 50 mph in the parking lot. :eek:

LunarMist

I do 50 in my driveway.

I'm not surprised, but the straight part of the parking lot is rather short. At least she's an expert driver, unlike one former employee that drove into a pedestrian when existing the parking lot some years ago.:(

LunarMist

Last December I sat idling on a snow covered highway for 6.5 hours in a Subaru Forrester and we used less than 2 gallons of fuel. The whole trip was 10 hours and the car used ~4 gallons of fuel, which included 120 miles (60 miles leaving and 60 miles going back because of a closed highway) of driving. It's not exact information, but I hope it helps.

BR

That really must have sucked.

Anyway, I'm not going to be concerned about idling for 0.75-1 hour every day then.

LunarMist

Old advice for carburetor vehicles was if you are stopped longer than 5 minutes shut off the engine, but under 5 minutes if you shut it off you actually waste gas because of that choke. Pretty sure that doesn't apply to injected cars now.

Hybrids would do really well in that situation, they all shut off the engine when stopped.

Where is the AC and heat coming from? Wouldn't the gas engine need to start up at intervals to keep the battery charged?

LunarMist

I was curious about Mercutio's amount of posts, so I vidited his profile, while not logged in, and what I saw (and that any guest can see) in the visitor message (the one viewed by default) made me :rofl:

VERY subtle, Greg.

Yikes!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I missed this post on holiday. It's great news that things went well. :) If you are really interested, get your ass on a plane soon rather than wait until April.

Since I've basically managed around 40 hours of billable time for each of the last three weeks, it's not like I don't have the money. I've actually offered to put her on a plane and we can go where ever she likes; her only comment on the matter is that there's not really anything appealing about Denver and even less in Laramie, with Denver being the closest civilization to where she lives.

I really haven't heard much from her lately. The women I know online are counseling me that that she's probably being cautious and confused about things, but that makes me cautious and confused, too.

But I did make that offer.