Something Random

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Birthdays are probably better than the alternative.
Hope you got cake. :)
Yes I had a cake this year. The first since 2000. two of three of my brothers appeared to surprise me for my 50th birthday (I'm 52). That should give you all a concept of my family/social life.

paugie

Storage is cool
For the record, and apologizing for tooting my own horn...
We celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary yesterday.
Yay! Our 35 year old daughter brought ice-cream, our 5 year old grandson gave us candied something, my wife bought cake and cooked carbonara. My 32 year old daughter gave us each a thousand pesos (ok not much in dollars) and my 28 year old son was there to cheer us towards our 37th.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Paugie, you've been married a very, very long time. Congratulations.

I remember when I was fairly young, my father decorated our house and took the family out to a special meal to commemorate the date that my mother his surname longer than her maiden name.

Yes, there wasn't much love between my dad and his mother-in-law.

paugie

Storage is cool
It actually doesn't feel like that long to me. And the reason the marriage survived was my wife. She carried the family for the first 11 years until I "found" myself.
Just happy. I'm dancing a jig in my head as I type this.
'Course I realize it's not for everyone. Just found myself enjoying this. Hope everyone finds the place he/she is happy in.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Happy Birthday, Mark! :b-day:

Happy Anniversary paugie!

I'm glad those were 36 mostly happy years for you. My parents were less than 3 months short of 45 years when my dad passed away, but those were 45 mostly miserable years for both of them. Needless to say it's colored my views on marriage.

paugie

Storage is cool
Thank you, Merc, jtr.
My wife and I have gone through a lot of mixed experiences. But even the seemingly bad ones, we can look back to and still be thankful. You know, learning from everything and all that stuff.
My eldest daughter was married in 2000 but separated from her husband in 2006. That marriage was nasty. Shouldn't have happened.
So, I guess, there's all kinds.

Handruin

Administrator
For the record, and apologizing for tooting my own horn...
We celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary yesterday.
Yay! Our 35 year old daughter brought ice-cream, our 5 year old grandson gave us candied something, my wife bought cake and cooked carbonara. My 32 year old daughter gave us each a thousand pesos (ok not much in dollars) and my 28 year old son was there to cheer us towards our 37th.

Sorry I missed this one. Congrats paugie for the 36 years you guys have stayed together. That's a long time to be with someone and you figured out a way to make it last.

Handruin

Administrator
Some pictures from vacation.

Centennial Park, MD

Assateague island national seashore, MD

Plymouth, MA

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like newegg packed my drives ok. They were surrounded on all ends with bubble wrap and in a box with styro peanut thingies. Is this what you guys get?

Stereodude

Not really a
Looks like newegg packed my drives ok. They were surrounded on all ends with bubble wrap and in a box with styro peanut thingies. Is this what you guys get?
Sometimes. 2 orders ago mine were packed like that. Plastic clamshell wrapped in bubble wrap in peanuts. Last order no... The last order they left 'em in the plastic clamshell, and just tossed 'em in the peanuts.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Recently I wanted a new alarm clock that's more of a decent stereo with better sound than most alarm clock radio's.

I looked into a bose wave radio and nearly shit myself when I saw the price at $500!! They don't even have buttons on the unit anymore and pimp that as a "feature", I mean damn. Even used ones are fetching a couple hundred on ebay. Seen and listened to plenty of these in other peoples houses, it wasn't that special.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My pink ball flew out of control and wedged behind the long sofa. I'll never be able to get it out. :(

Mercutio

Recently I wanted a new alarm clock that's more of a decent stereo with better sound than most alarm clock radio's.

I looked into a bose wave radio and nearly shit myself when I saw the price at $500!! They don't even have buttons on the unit anymore and pimp that as a "feature", I mean damn.

We had a rather interesting thread about Bose's crap very early in the life of SF. You might enjoy taking a gander at that and all the links to sites about how Bose actually operates.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I went and skimmed that old thread and it generally confirmed my thoughts on bose, but I was thinking the wave radio would suit me perfectly as I just want an alarm clock radio that I can put a CD in every once and a while folding clothes or other bedroom activities.

I am sort of thinking about a Cambridge SoundWorks i765 but at $250 it is still a little rich for my blood.

Wish I could find a receiver with clock radio in it for around $200, I have a pair of Polk RT25 bookshelf speakers I am not using. Is there even such a thing as a receiver with a alarm clock in it?

Mercutio

Wish I could find a receiver with clock radio in it for around $200, I have a pair of Polk RT25 bookshelf speakers I am not using. Is there even such a thing as a receiver with a alarm clock in it?

No but in college I had my PC hooked up to my massive audio system and set a cron job to start playing audio at a fairly high volume if I didn't get up to kill it beforehand.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Folding your clothes takes you enough time to consider it worthwhile to start listening to a CD in the meanwhile? Do you have THAT much clothes? It didn't sound like it, but...you're a woman, right? There's nothing wrong with it, but I've always been under the impression that you were a man.

The only thing I've seen that could please you is the Yamaha TSX-130, but it's also around 250$. There doesn't seem to be anything from Panasonic or Pioneer like this. I certainly trust Yamaha audio product a lot more than Bose.

[...]

And...WTF is that pink ball Mooner is talking about? Were you dancing bogey naked in your living room and stuck half your bag between the sofa and the wall or what? Don't post here, call 9-1-1!

LunarMist

And...WTF is that pink ball Mooner is talking about? Were you dancing bogey naked in your living room and stuck half your bag between the sofa and the wall or what? Don't post here, call 9-1-1!

I don't understand what "dancing bogey naked" means, but I'm :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

Why don't you run the audio out of your clock/radio to an amplifier? You may need a soldering iron.

Mercutio

Most clock radios have a headphone jack. Most geeks have computer speakers sitting around.

I think you see where this is going.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I actually did think about the computer speaker thing but A, I don't want speakers sitting there that are on 24/7 and B usually there is some open mike hum/hiss associated with doing that that I wouldn't like. Also not really looking for some sort of hacked together system.

Coug, I am a guy and if we think about this a minute like most guys I wait till the last minute to do things laundry wise and by that time we are talking about 6+ loads and an all day affair pretty much. That doesn't even really factor in though, I spend a decent amount of time in the bedroom and have a nice recliner that I read in etc. Heck some people have TV's and stuff in the bedroom, I know I have seen that discussed here. Some days when I just feel like death listening to a little music before I have to move and deal with reality is pretty nice too.

I think I may ditch the CD portion though and just go for the Boston Acoustics Duo. Price is right at $109 at least and doesn't contain ipod crap. Obviously I am over analyzing this.

I don't want to even touch the whole pink ball subject.

LunarMist

Especially those with round pink pills that roll under the sofa.

You know what I mean. Pharmaceuticals/nutraceuticals are packaged for product protection and/or child resistance. It's not the same as a stupid consumer product in a giant 12-layer, multi-segmented blister pack with a tiny, fragile product inside. Opening the package is painful, hazardous and likely to damage the product and accessories.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Actually no, I don't know what you mean. I almost never take pills and I've probably never seen what you described. I bought a cheapo blister pack of Sudafed-kind pills last year because I've had two bad colds in a row. That's the first time I remember buying pills for the past ten years. You want a pill expert, don't look at me.

I also used to take iron supplement pills when I was very young (like 5 or 6 years old). Now I don't need iron pills...I'm made of it.

Mercutio

I have a nasty two inch slice across my palm from trying to open the package a memory card came in so I'm really getting a kick out of this discussion.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pills can pop out of a stupid consumer product in a giant 12-layer, multi-segmented blister pack with a tiny, fragile product inside. I often drop gums from those. I'm sure there are some with rond pink pills. But the other kind you write about that's hazardous to open ; nope, never seen.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I typed hazardous blister pack on Google images and the first result was this. WTF does a sixty-years-old do to hurt himself with a Pokemon?

Last edited:

LunarMist

The plastic is sharp and can cause cuts as good Mercutio mentioned. That is not to mention the risk of cutting the package open, e.g., slipping knives, scissors, etc.

Mercutio

My friend Frodo will be here in 36 hours.

I put her up at the Hampton Inn, just because, after visiting all the places that cost less than a Hampton Inn, I decided that I'd rather not give her the impression that the only people who live where I do are truckers and hookers. So I'm paying $600 for four nights of hotel for her.

Anyway, I'm so nervous I could hurl.

And congrats to Pradeep for 3k posts!