Something Random

Stereodude

Not really a
It's not just you, it doesn't work for me either with plugins disabled, etc. It doesn't appear that they have a Win 7 32-bit driver version from limited Google searching.
Yeah, apparently I should have read the webpage a little closer. It seems they're only supporting 64-bit now. Asus provided a Win 7 32-bit driver on the CD for it though. I was thinking to move the system to Windows 10 x64 now that madVR has 64 bit versions.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
It's not just you, it doesn't work for me either with plugins disabled, etc. It doesn't appear that they have a Win 7 32-bit driver version from limited Google searching.

Same. I had to do something similar to find drivers for my new 9600XT (courtesy of snowhiker, can't thank you enough! Works like a charm!), and I'm stuck on the Catalyst 10.2 series. It's site-wide methinks.

Just because they don't support a particular hardware/software combination anymore doesn't mean that all traces of it ever having been supported needs to just vanish. They still very clearly have the options in the little wizard-thing, at least tell me what I'm doing wrong, don't just reset the forms!

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
It's Windows XP Pro. I'm running the gold release updated to the latest service pack and update for POSReady 2k9. It ships a technically usable driver, if all you want is 32bit color at 800x600 with no 3D acceleration whatsoever.

It's serving merely as an interim main machine while I sort out the Phenom II and/or prepare to migrate to a newer system. After that this will be solely an entertainment box, playing games that stand out from my childhood that either take numerous tricks to run on a modern computer/OS or don't run at all.

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Same. I had to do something similar to find drivers for my new 9600XT (courtesy of snowhiker, can't thank you enough! Works like a charm!)

No problem. 40 years from now when you are an internet billionaire send me a box of depends and we'll call it even.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does Windows not ship a usable driver for your video card?

It does. The Basic VGA driver that ships with Windows 8/2012/10 supports resolutions up to at least 1920x1200 and 32 bit color, but using that isn't going to make SD's fancy GPU-assisted video processing work and it's not going to help for DirectX/OpenGL.
nVidia is doing something fucky now too. They want you to sign in to get anything other than milestone driver updates.

I also had a problem with Windows 10 refusing to install current drivers from nVidia's web site on an untouched vanilla install with only a GTX750 (no motherboard video). nVidia for some reason has lots of weirdness on Windows 10.

Basically video drivers suck, regardless of OS and manufacturer.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think I may have gone overboard buying Blu-rays this year on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Here's my domestically purchased Black Friday & Thanksgiving haul from Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Fry's, and Jet.

domestic_BF_haul.jpg

Click for full size.

"Cyber Monday" purchases as well as the international buys from Zavvi, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.fr purchases are not shown (because I haven't gotten them yet).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had a haul like that a few months ago when I found out the Seattle Public library was selling all the almost-impossible-to-find CDs included with issues of BBC Music Magazine from the last 20 years through Discogs. I bought I think 44 discs. They're all safely ripped now, so I guess I can sell the discs again.

The only physical BDs I've bought instead of ripped from Netflix discs in the last three years have been special effects spectacles. I basically have to want to watch the special features.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I may have gone overboard buying Blu-rays this year on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Here's my domestically purchased Black Friday & Thanksgiving haul from Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Fry's, and Jet.
I'm surprised Avatar isn't there. That might be at the top of my list for movies which would be worthwhile watching in 3D and/or 4K.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm surprised Avatar isn't there. That might be at the top of my list for movies which would be worthwhile watching in 3D and/or 4K.

I recently re-found my Blu-ray copy of Avatar that I forgot I bought a while back. I recently added it to my Plex to rewatch some time down the road. If you want an invite to my Plex let me know if you want to stream/watch it.

Stereodude

Not really a
I already had it. Hence why it's not in the picture. That is just the stash of Blu-Rays I bought over about a 3 day period last week (with the previous disclaimer about international shipments).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I recently re-found my Blu-ray copy of Avatar that I forgot I bought a while back. I recently added it to my Plex to rewatch some time down the road. If you want an invite to my Plex let me know if you want to stream/watch it.
Would I be able to download it also or just watch it? I definitely would want to see Avatar in real 1080p, as opposed to the compressed stuff TWC transmits.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I already had it. Hence why it's not in the picture. That is just the stash of Blu-Rays I bought over about a 3 day period last week (with the previous disclaimer about international shipments).
Quite a collection for 3 days of shopping. I like most of your choices, also.

Stereodude

Not really a
Quite a collection for 3 days of shopping. I like most of your choices, also.
I have the complete series of Rome, The Sopranos, The Wire, and Battlestar Galactica (2000's version) inbound on Blu-ray that were purchased from the other side of the pond during in the same time frame. I went REALLY overboard buying Blu-rays.

Handruin

Administrator
I have the complete series of Rome, The Sopranos, The Wire, and Battlestar Galactica (2000's version) inbound on Blu-ray that were purchased from the other side of the pond during in the same time frame. I went REALLY overboard buying Blu-rays.

I haven't bought a Blu-ray in a while. I've mostly been renting them from Redbox these days since they have one near my house.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
We're still using a good old SD CRT TV; meets our needs. Our small collection of DVDs (which includes Avatar, Harry Potter series, LOTR series etc.) is all standard DVDs. We rarely watch them anyways. Primary viewing is satellite TV, some sertials by wifey, some by daughter, and me hardly ever. Some channels are HD, some SD. When this TV dies, we'll buy an HD TV and switch to HD direct broadcast.

I post this because I am amused by the disparity between SD's, Handy's et al situation and mine. :)

Cheers!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We're still using a good old SD CRT TV; meets our needs. Our small collection of DVDs (which includes Avatar, Harry Potter series, LOTR series etc.) is all standard DVDs. We rarely watch them anyways. Primary viewing is satellite TV, some sertials by wifey, some by daughter, and me hardly ever. Some channels are HD, some SD. When this TV dies, we'll buy an HD TV and switch to HD direct broadcast.

I post this because I am amused by the disparity between SD's, Handy's et al situation and mine. :)

Cheers!

I'm somewhere in between. TVs are all LVD, but two are the standard 1080u and the one in the bedroom is less than that, being 32'. That one is mainly on a music channel so it doesn't matter.
In 2014 and early 2015 I bought a good number of BR discs, but never watch them. I really don't watch much TV at all lately, but have it on in 2-3 rooms most days.
There is just so little worth watching at my age. Most movies are PG-13 action crap based on the same old formulas, or remakes for the lowest common denominator.
I suppose the Europeans still make a few films that stimulate more than ten brain cells, but I have not put effort into looking for any recently.

Handruin

Administrator

Cheers!

I'm not that fancy with TVs, I have one 1080P Plasma that was purchased mid-year in 2007. I realize it's a step up from a SD TV but I'm not on any kind of bleeding edge. :)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

Cheers!
We got our first HDTV in 2004. It was a 720P 30" TV. My mom bought her 40" 1080P TV is 2007 I think. Once TWC had enough content available in HD I didn't even want to watch anything in SD any more. Despite their crappy HD encoding it's still a world of difference. At this point I'll venture to guess not a whole lot of households in the US still use SDTVs.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got my first HDTV in 2004. It was my first TV too. A 57" Hitachi rear projection CRT set. I used it 10 years before replacing it in 2014 with a 64" 1080p Samsung plasma, from their final years lineup of plasma TVs.

LunarMist

My first TV looked something like this, a Sony 12". The instant on was amazing compared to the old Ford TV we had in the living room.

IMG_6467.jpg

LunarMist

I don't even have my own TV anymore. I never watched it much anyway. I play the odd DVD on my computers and have my PS3 connected to an HDCP capable monitor via DVI.

You young whippersnappers have a plethora of newfangled entertainment options. :D

Back then we had TV, radio, vinyl records and audio tape. There were no VCRs, video discs, cell phones, personal computers, internet, etc.
If you missed a TV show, that was it forever unless the show was repeated 6 months later or one of the few that was syndicated, often many years later.
I was considered quite fortunate as a teenager to have a color TV of my own. When I was stationed in Europe I had no TV for along time and there was very little in English anyway.
I was using 1990s TVs until about 5 years ago.

LunarMist

Apparently it is not possible to make a left turn in New Jersey. :nono:
And what's up with the gas pumps?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My last TV was a Sony Trinitron 27" that I bought in 2000. I've stopped using it around 2008 and I gave it two or three years ago. I've not bought another TV since.

I watch everything on my computer's display.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Apparently it is not possible to make a left turn in New Jersey. :nono:
And what's up with the gas pumps?

Yeah they like their circles and jughandles (left turn by going right). We had some jughandles here near me in PA but they replaced nearly all of them when they widened the street to 3 lanes each way.
I preferred the jughandles.
NJ is one of only two states where they pump the gas and motorists can't pump their own gas. Oregon is the other.

LunarMist

Yeah they like their circles and jughandles (left turn by going right). We had some jughandles here near me in PA but they replaced nearly all of them when they widened the street to 3 lanes each way.
I preferred the jughandles.
NJ is one of only two states where they pump the gas and motorists can't pump their own gas. Oregon is the other.

I have not been Oregon in years. It has to be better than NJ though.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The TV I referred to is not pre-historic; CRT it is, but a true flat screen and has decent pic quality. It's LG and refuses to die. The audio is surprisingly good, and if the program is good, sometimes it's difficult to figure out where the sound is coming from, certainly doesn't feel like the front. I suspect it was made towards the fag end of the CRT-TV life and LG switched to LCDs shortly thereafter. We bought it in 2006 when we moved back from the US.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This is the first TV we owned. From what my parents told me, we had it about 6 months and it blew up. There were pieces of glass everywhere. Motorola sent people to our house to clean up the mess.
TVs have come a long way.1948-Motorola-VK106M-10in.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is the first TV we owned. From what my parents told me, we had it about 6 months and it blew up. There were pieces of glass everywhere. Motorola sent people to our house to clean up the mess.
TVs have come a long way.View attachment 968
I've seen the inside of a few 1950's TV. The electronics' design was...artistic. It was pretty much a repair tech's nightmare. It was a spagetti of thru-hole discret components, crossing each others, with long uncut resistors and capacitors' legs and seamly randomly-arrange wiring.

The reason yours exploded is probably that the glass wasn't thick enough on the front of the TV on early sets. Since it's a vacuum inside, any crack will result in a boom. That or some poorly attached component inside touched and broke the inside of the vacuum glass.

Stereodude

Not really a
Nice, did you get it when it was on sale for $2k? Seems to be the best option right now for HDR playback.
I'm pretty sure the JS9500 is a better option for HDR being full array local dimming instead of edgelit. Unfortunately, it's also curved.

Handruin

Administrator
I dug out my old Magic: The Gathering cards last night. I actually remembered how to play! It's been at least half a year since I picked them up last.

I still play from time to time with friends. Mostly mini-masters or drafts with a side of playing some of our older crafted decks.