Something Random

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Grrr! For about the 5th time this week I accidentally turned off the computer by pressing the power button with the inside of my knee. Am I the only one?
How? Are you straddling the case? The power switch is usually in the front or the top. How could you turn it off with the inside of your knee?!!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I have terrible swelling on the left side of my face since dinner last night and a fever. I noticed a few mosquito bites the day before. I hope it's not Zika.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have terrible swelling on the left side of my face since dinner last night and a fever. I noticed a few mosquito bites the day before. I hope it's not Zika.

There is a lot worse than Zika. Seek medical treatment.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
There is a lot worse than Zika. Seek medical treatment.
I nearly passed out from the heat just bringing in the garbage pails. Walking around looking for a doctor is a non-starter. Can't leave my mom alone for that long anyway. I'll just have to deal with it as best I can. The swelling gets somewhat better if I don't eat.

LunarMist

I nearly passed out from the heat just bringing in the garbage pails. Walking around looking for a doctor is a non-starter. Can't leave my mom alone for that long anyway. I'll just have to deal with it as best I can. The swelling gets somewhat better if I don't eat.

Don't you have urgent care centers nearby? An infection should be treated immediately, if that's what you have.
If you are a caregiver, then who takes care of you?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't you have urgent care centers nearby? An infection should be treated immediately, if that's what you have.
If things got really bad I could call an ambulance. The fever actually dropped. I think I might have a blocked salivary gland. One of the home remedies, believe it or not, is sucking on lemons. Just don't call me a sour puss! ;)

If you are a caregiver, then who takes care of you?
Sad to say, nobody. I'm running myself into the ground doing this which is why I'm extra cranky posting here lately. If my mom lives long enough, which is likely given that her vital organs are in pretty good shape, I may well be in worse shape than she is by the time I reach her age. I'm looking into getting Medicare to have someone come in a few times a week to help. Not sure yet if they'll approve it, but I'll need to talk to mom's doctor.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I read that Zika is up to Florida, but I doubt it's already present in New York.

Could be the Nile virus.
Fortunately it's looking more like it's just a blocked salivary gland which somehow became mildly infected. If it doesn't clear up on its own I'll make an appointment with my dentist.

I've heard we're spraying mosquitoes here on account of the Zika virus. Don't know if it made its way this far north yet. I'm actually pretty sure I had West Nile virus in the early 2000s. A few days after being bit by mosquitoes, I was bedridden for over a week, had a fever which hit 106 at times, and it took me over a month before I felt normal again.

LunarMist

How? Are you straddling the case? The power switch is usually in the front or the top. How could you turn it off with the inside of your knee?!!

Maybe I need to change my orientation. I wish there were some way to change it in software/firmware.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You could try replacing the switch with something like this. I can see how this could be a problem if you and your machine are sitting in close proximity. My case actually has a recessed switch. I'm guessing you're not the only one who ever had this problem.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Any chance you can just link to Youtube instead? It messes up the mobile version of SF, breaking all anchor links, so when I click on a post to go directly to the newest it pops me to the top.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's an interesting SFF PC. I don't really see why he bothered to use the 22 core Xeon processor though. A top end i5 or i7 would have worked just as well for games.

ddrueding

Fixture
That's an interesting SFF PC. I don't really see why he bothered to use the 22 core Xeon processor though. A top end i5 or i7 would have worked just as well for games.

Agreed. Swap the 1080 for a Quadro P6000 and you have a fairly epic workstation that would more easily justify the CPU. I suspect he just had it laying around.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any chance you can just link to Youtube instead? It messes up the mobile version of SF, breaking all anchor links, so when I click on a post to go directly to the newest it pops me to the top.

Changed. That is really unfortunate; the embedded YouTube is more convenient in my workflow and I suspect leads to more views.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Grrr! For about the 5th time this week I accidentally turned off the computer by pressing the power button with the inside of my knee. Am I the only one?

Just get a different power switch (or relocate the existing one) and hook it up to the motherboard and disconnect the problem one. Or hook the reset switch up to the power button one and use that.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Today was eventful:

Helped a friend turn his very new Dell vomit box into something worth using for gaming. He bought everything before I was conned into helping out, so I had no input on what he purchased. All I can say is thankfully the addon parts he bought weren't crap. This whole thing was kind of horrifying start to finish. It probably shouldn't work but it does.

Had to move his chip (an i5-6400) to my aunt's H110M Eco board (she allowed this, yes I did ask) so I could hook up his shiny new 600W EVGA PSU onto it, as the Dell board had a nasty proprietary interface for the PSU -- which necessitated a case swap, as his case was laughably small and wouldn't fit the new board, graphics card and PSU. Had to rewire the switches and LEDs to work on it as we used my old Studio D540 case which had been sitting unused since I moved the motherboard in that to another case a year and some change ago. The LEDs still don't work, I have no idea why, but the switch works so he's happy I guess. Our budget for doing this was close to nil as he blew all his money on the parts, hence why we were reusing one of my old cases.

The interesting part is that Dell seems to have bent the PCB on his CPU in some sort of manufacturing error -- I certainly didn't, and we were left scratching our heads when it wouldn't work in the new board, as I was incredibly careful -- bending it back into place (after hailing Mary) had it working fine. I explicitly offered no warranty and told him that he should be looking to replace that chip (and probably the cooler as well) when he gets paid next. But for now it seems like it'll do, not even any instability. Rock solid. I have no idea how. Even more interesting is how it somehow worked in his old machine. Core temp near idle is about 35C, perfectly reasonable since neither of us had any thermal compound to hand and we had to reuse what was on the chip and heatsink, which is absolutely tiny by the way. Probably made completely out of aluminum too. Standard Dell fare, I guess. I wouldn't think that maxing the CPU out would have it running much over 60-65C.

His new GFX card? An EVGA GTX950 2GB card. Fine, since he runs everything at 768p anyway. He went from playing his most demanding games at low ~30fps to mostly Ultra (he plays mostly older games) 60fps.

The Celeron chip found a loving new home in his old Dell mobo/case. It's working fine for my aunt.

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Didn't read all of it, but got the gist.

I'm 40 and I can still hear into the 20kHz range. I objectively have better hearing than most people my age. I also have enough of a music background to follow individual instrument parts while listening to an orchestral recording. I find it relatively easy to hear artifacts of low bit-rate MP3s, particularly in brass instruments.
Given that we have the technical capability and storage capacity to make high resolution recording, why not just make them? We would we settle for anything less than as much as possible? Our various sound-playing dinguses can always resample down once we have a high quality recording, so we do ourselves a disservice with anything less.

sed, are you making any money as a PC tech yet? Seems like you should be making money and wooing women with your parts swapping skills. That's a crap ton of work to do out of the goodness of your heart.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Sed, LEDs only allow current to flow in one direction. Try rotating the

I'm assuming you're trying to say to rotate the header plug? Did that, still isn't working. Double checked my wiring and it seems sound enough, maybe it's just broken? Either way, he's happy enough just to have everything else working, he doesn't seem to care about having the power LED working.

sed, are you making any money as a PC tech yet? Seems like you should be making money and wooing women with your parts swapping skills. That's a crap ton of work to do out of the goodness of your heart.

I am making a bit of money from it, but it's not so much about the money for me -- I legitimately find this sort of stuff fun, and if I get to help people while doing it and make a little cash on the side doing it that's just a bonus. As for wooing women, maybe one day -- I have other things to be doing, right now.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm 40 and I can still hear into the 20kHz range. I objectively have better hearing than most people my age. I also have enough of a music background to follow individual instrument parts while listening to an orchestral recording. I find it relatively easy to hear artifacts of low bit-rate MP3s, particularly in brass instruments.
You must be one of the rare ones with "golden ears" :)

Given that we have the technical capability and storage capacity to make high resolution recording, why not just make them? We would we settle for anything less than as much as possible? Our various sound-playing dinguses can always resample down once we have a high quality recording, so we do ourselves a disservice with anything less.
The author also says that the high sampling rate introduces unwanted artifacts. I don't know if this is bull or not.

fb

Storage is cool
I don't know if I have golden ears or not, but I haven't heard any artifacts with high quality recordings. And I'm pretty sure you can reproduce sound > 20kHz in an 44 kHz/16 bit recording? So I don't know what to think about that argument.

You can take a look/listen at this page if you want to compare different recording qualities for yourself. I think that's the best way to decide.

I can however hear the difference between a MP3 and FLAC, that's no problem. I don't even listen to MP3s these days.

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC but if the MP3 is at a high enough bitrate (200kbps+) the difference is negligible to my ears. That's actually a good thing since most of my library is still in MP3. I don't have the space to fit my entire library on my phone in FLAC, as much as I'd want to.

fb

Storage is cool
MP3 or FLAC will probably not make any difference in a phone, the only phone I know of that aspires to have decent sound is the LG G5? with the hifi plug in module.

I have a Nexus 6P with AKG n20 headphones, not really high end, but not the worst either. The sounds are there, but not the timing in the music, and it can't handle even midly dense music at all. Maybe the AKGs just need some time to loosen up, but I suspect that the phone also lacks audiophile qualities.

Stereodude

Not really a
I can however hear the difference between a MP3 and FLAC, that's no problem. I don't even listen to MP3s these days.
I'd love to see ABX results. Highish bitrate VBR MP3's sound quite good. For example, things encoded by LAME at V1 are very hard to discern from the FLAC.

It's nothing personal, but if they're properly level matched, the inherent playback clipping of MP3s is eliminated, and you're listening to actual musical samples, not using a playlist of the samples MP3 compression fails at, I don't believe most of the claims people make about being able to easily identify MP3 from FLAC. Sure, I can break out the old Xing encoder from nearly 20 years ago and encode a 128kbit/sec file that can easily be ABX'd. That's stacking the deck and working with a strawman.

The recent codec comparisons I've seen are done at rather low bitrates specifically because at higher bitrates they all sound so good people can't hear the difference between them. http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Unless I'm missing something you can't sample a 20kHz sine wave at 44ksps and then use that digitized version to get something resembling a sine wave when you play it back. A good rule of thumb is the sampling rate needs to be at least ten times the maximum frequency if you're dealing with anything but square waves. 192ksps sounds like it might be superior to 44ksps. The only reason it might not be is if the recorded material has very little content above 4 or 5 kHz. Note that I deal with sampled signals all the time on the project I'm working on. A 100kHz sine wave sampled at anything less than 1Msps starts to look pretty cruddy.

I do agree there should be no discernible difference between 16 and 24 bit encoding. The human ear just can't resolve the smaller differences in sound that 24-bit can reproduce.

LunarMist

I'd love to see ABX results. Highish bitrate VBR MP3's sound quite good. For example, things encoded by LAME at V1 are very hard to discern from the FLAC.

It's nothing personal, but if they're properly level matched, the inherent playback clipping of MP3s is eliminated, and you're listening to actual musical samples, not using a playlist of the samples MP3 compression fails at, I don't believe most of the claims people make about being able to easily identify MP3 from FLAC. Sure, I can break out the old Xing encoder from nearly 20 years ago and encode a 128kbit/sec file that can easily be ABX'd. That's stacking the deck and working with a strawman.

The recent codec comparisons I've seen are done at rather low bitrates specifically because at higher bitrates they all sound so good people can't hear the difference between them. http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

I used the 320KB MP3 setting in Lame for many years and it seems OK.