Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Chicago wouldn't be HORRIBLE, but AFAIK the best Summer Olympic venues in the USA would be LA and Atlanta. LA has the transit infrastructure and plenty of huge stadiums already and Atlanta still has the facilities from whenever its Olympics was, which were already some of the cheapest games in recent history. From what I read, Brazil spent tens of billions getting ready and I'm sure everyone in Chicago would have their hand out as well, but having the event someplace with a good airport and lots of roads to move people around solves a lot of Olympics-related problems. I do think some good would come of it. There's a lot of fighting over any lake-front real estate. We just lost the George Lucas museum because some boat owners didn't want to give up a patch of parking lots, so having some kind of genuine mandate for useful and beneficial structures might serve a better long-term purpose.

I also understand that climate change is going to cause real problems for possible hosting locations worldwide over the next hundred years, and I suspect it might be easier to just establish a rotation of permanent locations in for the games. Brazil probably could've done something better with $40 Billion and moving between LA and Tokyo and London might just fix all of that.

100 years? Unfortunately, I doubt there will be Olympics anywhere near that long.
Is anything related to George Lucas useful and beneficial? :lol:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
100 years? Unfortunately, I doubt there will be Olympics anywhere near that long.
Is anything related to George Lucas useful and beneficial? :lol:

I'm confident there will be Olympics in 100 years but all the events will involve some type of smart phone usage.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool

Stereodude

Not really a
I've had to eat boiled eggs for days at a time in some developing countries, but only because the other available proteins were rather vile. :lol:
I usually eat a hard boiled egg as part of my lunch. I decided to do a little internet searching to see if my cooking method was correct. Turns out I was doing it all wrong. I'll see how steaming compares.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm confident there will be Olympics in 100 years but all the events will involve some type of smart phone usage.

Plus Curling, the sport where I can be an Olympian.
Bridge is another thing that's been considered an Olympic sport in the past for some reason.

I will say that I have watched pro-level Starcraft and League of Legends players do their thing and while I wouldn't call it sport, having also played those games I can see that my ability to compete against those guys is very similar to the average person vs. Olympian's athletic ability. I've heard those guys are doing between five and eight times as many different things over a given period of time as average players. It's insane, even if it's just running a keyboard and mouse.

Stereodude

Not really a
Thanks for that. I've been using the baking method for a dozen a week. I don't even own a steamer. Any suggestions?
Yeah, buy a steamer. :p I have a steamer insert of sorts for a pot I have so I used that tonight to make 4 eggs. I'll take one for lunch tomorrow and see how it compares to my usual boiled in water (put in cold water) egg.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Last edited:

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I've never liked hard boiled eggs because of the chalky yolk. I'll have to try this method.

We have several metal mesh baskets used to steam vegetables and a insert pot steamer to use with a pot we already had.
I can't wait to tell my wife that she's been boiling eggs wrong all these years.;)

I guess I'll be doing the boiling after that.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, the egg peeled easily, but so do most of my wrongly cooked eggs. The yolk wasn't quite cooked all the way through. The center was a bit orange and gooey compared to the outside of the yolk. There was no dark ring in the yolk. I will try steaming for 15 minutes next time as opposed to 12 minutes for this batch.

Mercutio

How often do you guys have more than 25 meetings per week?

Zero.

In fact, I unplugged the phone in my office back in March. Everything goes to voice mail now and then gets delivered to my email so I can deal with it that way, in some cases with an If This Then That Recipe. No one has noticed.

ddrueding

Fixture
If a meeting doesn't involve a physical object of some kind, I generally decline going. If there is an object (building inspection, product review, sample analysis) then I go; typically 2-3 a week.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I mean a meeting by telecon, Lync, WebEx, etc. as well. Technically I'm stationed at a US home office. In US, EU, or Asian regions different offices and operators/agents/contractors are involved. I don't deal with the Pacific or Arab regions. I travel less than half as much as the 90s and still much less than before 2010.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
So, anyone following troy hunt of haveibeenpwned on twitter? There have been a lot of vbulletin breaches lately...

sedrosken

Florida Man
In other news, my unifying receiver for my M510 randomly died. Now whenever I plug it in Windows complains that it's malfunctioning, and a live Linux distro I tried just refuses to acknowledge its presence. Other USB devices work fine, so it's not the ports. Looks like I need to find one of my spares when I go home for labor day weekend or whatever.

Mercutio

I went in to Chicago yesterday since I didn't particularly have anything else going on. I was planning to take pictures around the Tribune Buiding/Chicago River and down by Millennium Park.
I wasn't doing anything but listening to my headphones and walking, but over the course of about 15 seconds, my phone got uncomfortably warm in my hand and then spontaneously died. I had an extra battery in my jacket but nope, that wasn't it. It just won't power on any more. I opened it up and I can't see anything wrong with it and the batteries are both OK as far as I can tell. What. The. Hell?

Mercutio

No warranty or service plan?

G4. It's out of warranty. I believe it fell victim to a known issue (early G4s had a boot loop issue and mine was a launch day phone) but Sprint Service says they don't have to do shit unless I want a new phone.
I can buy a mainboard for the phone for about $120 or I can get a refurbished phone for $150

ddrueding

Fixture
My G4 died last weekend. 2 weeks to go before the 1-year warranty expired. They didn't have any more G4, so they sent me a G5. Happy enough with it.

Handruin

Administrator
G4. It's out of warranty. I believe it fell victim to a known issue (early G4s had a boot loop issue and mine was a launch day phone) but Sprint Service says they don't have to do shit unless I want a new phone.
I can buy a mainboard for the phone for about $120 or I can get a refurbished phone for $150

I've read complaints of the boot loop issue showing up in LG V10s like I have and I also have a launch day device. May just be a matter of time for me also.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I managed to get my hands on a local sim-unlocked Droid Turbo for super cheap, about $80 (the going rate on Amazon is $130 used, $180 refurbished, $400 NIB) -- I dropped my Transpyre (yes, it was in a case) and it stopped registering touch properly. I used the Sunshine exploit to unlock the bootloader, installed CM13 on it to get rid of the Verizon pack-in crap and upgrade to Android 6.0.1 (which I'm sure this phone will never get OTA), moved to Straight Talk since I'm paying my bill now and I get more data on the same towers for the same price that way. Very happy with my purchase, bought an otterbox(the old phone only ever got the cheap knockoffs) to keep it safe. Even that was cheap at $20. It's already paid for itself -- I dropped it down the stairs almost immediately after putting it on by accident, and it was no worse for wear.

RIP Transpyre, but now I finally have a phone I seriously enjoy using -- it might be an older one but it can still deliver pretty alright speed. Battery life is kind of disappointing but I DID get this heavily used, after all.

Last edited:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Do cases ever help? Ever?

Otterboxes, in my experience, are very effective. If I had dropped the bare device down the (concrete) stairs as I did the cased phone, it would have shattered the screen among other things. Nothing else is worth bothering with though, nothing else has the build quality. If a device doesn't have an Otterbox available for it when I buy it or isn't popular enough to get one soon after, from now on I'm just not going to bother with buying it.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, the egg peeled easily, but so do most of my wrongly cooked eggs. The yolk wasn't quite cooked all the way through. The center was a bit orange and gooey compared to the outside of the yolk. There was no dark ring in the yolk. I will try steaming for 15 minutes next time as opposed to 12 minutes for this batch.
I got to my second batch of steamed eggs yesterday. I steamed three eggs. One for 14, 15, and 16 minutes respectively. I ate the 14 minute egg for lunch yesterday. The yolk was fully cooked and consistent in texture all the way through unlike the 12 minute eggs. No dark ring in the yolk. Today I will take the 15 minute egg to work.