Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not in Purchasing. :)
I've seen people with vast numbers of beers in the back of an SUV. I could not mentally count them, so I assumed at least a hundred.

LunarMist

I don't correlate the shopping. I've consumed thousands of miles of gas in September but no cases.

LunarMist

I refueled 4 vehicles multiple times and over 8 states. The truck SUV used more than the small car and the other is in between. I'd guess around 500L in volume.

ddrueding

Fixture
Got to head out to Laguna Seca Raceway and meet a friend who is a race car engineer for one of the teams. Full tour of the car, pit wall, etc. Very cool. No pictures inside the garage or on the wall, but a very good time. Heading back out tomorrow for Quali and Sunday for the race.

LunarMist

Got to head out to Laguna Seca Raceway and meet a friend who is a race car engineer for one of the teams. Full tour of the car, pit wall, etc. Very cool. No pictures inside the garage or on the wall, but a very good time. Heading back out tomorrow for Quali and Sunday for the race.

What do they still race there?

LunarMist

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/1.8.0

I rarely visit the old site, but tonight it is this.

ddrueding

Fixture
The time is getting very close:

TLDR: Group of the "best drivers cars" line up for a drag race, they throw a Tesla in there, it wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

LunarMist

The time is getting very close:

TLDR: Group of the "best drivers cars" line up for a drag race, they throw a Tesla in there, it wins.

Batteries don't hold very much energy density compared to fuels, so they need to be able to swap battery packs quickly throughout a normal race.

ddrueding

Fixture
Formula E is actually pretty cool to watch, at the moment they swap cars halfway through the race (to one with a full battery), but that will be changing in the next few years.

LunarMist

That would make more sense on a dedicated oval track. I don't know how all the vehicles would receive enough energy and what effect all that electromagnetic radiation would have on the driver or spectators.
My one and only experience at a race track was negative due to the excessively loud engines. That was over 20 years ago, so I don't know how loud they are today.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I was recently given a Thinkpad X61 tablet. It's a neat little thing, but it needs some work, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Conflicting information doesn't help either -- apparently Santa Rosa chipsets will handle 8GB but this thing supposedly has a 965 if Device Manager isn't taking me for a ride, and those will do only 4GB at most. I don't want to spend the money on hellishly expensive 4GB DDR2 sticks only to find this thing can't use them. Plus, the screen's only 1024x768 -- if I want to put this thing into long term service, I'll want the 1400x1050 one, but the RAM and that screen would set me back more than this thing's worth I'd think. Processor is a Core2Duo L7500.

LunarMist

I was recently given a Thinkpad X61 tablet. It's a neat little thing, but it needs some work, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or not. Conflicting information doesn't help either -- apparently Santa Rosa chipsets will handle 8GB but this thing supposedly has a 965 if Device Manager isn't taking me for a ride, and those will do only 4GB at most. I don't want to spend the money on hellishly expensive 4GB DDR2 sticks only to find this thing can't use them. Plus, the screen's only 1024x768 -- if I want to put this thing into long term service, I'll want the 1400x1050 one, but the RAM and that screen would set me back more than this thing's worth I'd think. Processor is a Core2Duo L7500.

Was that even provided with a 64-bit OS at the time? I probably wouldn't bother with any upgrades to such an old unit. Does the battery hold a charge?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm quite sick of all the RGB light rage in computer components these days. Is it too much to ask from a computer that it doesn't look like a gay pride parad when it's on? Besides looks, it's a waste of energy for no useful purpose at all.

LunarMist

Is there an option to disable the annoying lights? Are they on the mainboard or case or what?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
They are in the case fans, memory modules, motherboards and graphic cards. I don't own such a system, but when I'll eventually upgrade my aging tower, I'd like to be able to do so with ending up with a disco ball sitting on my desk.

LunarMist

They are in the case fans, memory modules, motherboards and graphic cards. I don't own such a system, but when I'll eventually upgrade my aging tower, I'd like to be able to do so with ending up with a disco ball sitting on my desk.

RAM has lights? That's totally ridiculous. :(

sedrosken

Florida Man
Was it provided with one, no. Will it run one, absolutely. Battery does indeed hold a charge, for nearly four hours. I was kind of shocked to be honest.

On the subject of RGB lighting, thankfully I managed to avoid that trash for my internal components (picking low-mid end components helps to that end) but for my keyboard I decided to go ahead and go for it since I could light it literally any shade of blue I wanted. I was sold on that alone.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thought DD might like this. Especially 1:10.

Last edited by a moderator:

LunarMist

I may have to be in GTA, which is somewhere near Toronto. There are some initiatives with the Koreans.
I've been informed that the documents are in English, not so much French so I should be OK.
I don't think EU is feasible at my age and not understanding the language.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I may have to be in GTA, which is somewhere near Toronto. There are some initiatives with the Koreans.
I've been informed that the documents are in English, not so much French so I should be OK.
I don't think EU is feasible at my age and not understanding the language.
Few people speak French in Toronto's area. It's in Ontario, Canada. It isn't in Québec.

We have an office near Toronto and out of ~20 employees, only two are able to communicate in French and it isn't their main language.

LunarMist

I just don't know what to do. If I thought I would live the rest of my life I would have made different choices.