Something Random

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is random ... sort of:

Thanks everbody.

Somehow this summer I managed to reassemble a life. It's still pretty basic, but it's stable. And for the first time in years I actually have some optimism about how things will progress.

I don't know how exactly, but for years the opportunity to stop in here any time and chat with some bright people, or just read the comments from said people chatting amongst themselves, really did a lot for me. This place became part of the crutch I needed before I was able figure some things out a bit.

So thanks. :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You're welcome. In fact, I think your sentiments would be shared by many members here. Just remember to keep returning for occasional therapeutic visits. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's good to know that it's possible for at least one of the chronically depressed, socially awkward techies who comes here...

Try okcupid.com. Everyone who isn't me seems to have good luck with it.

Handruin

Administrator
I had a severely weak moment the other day (probably from some depression of my own) and decided to go crazy on hardware for once. That does not mean the donated equipment is gone...it is still highly usable (once I reassmble it). :D

I honestly felt a bit of guilt buying this stuff...I didn't want it to come across the wrong way. I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the 4600+ though. Never have I seen a machine perform as fast as the one I just built. Plus...I needed more SATA port. ;)

I'm returning the BFG and I bought a sapphire X1900XTX in replacement for it... Hopefully the video quality is better. I must admit though, the BFG 7950GT played doom 3 like a champ with EVERYTHING maxed out...there was simply no slowing this card down.

Handruin

Administrator

Thanks everbody.

Somehow this summer I managed to reassemble a life. It's still pretty basic, but it's stable. And for the first time in years I actually have some optimism about how things will progress.

I don't know how exactly, but for years the opportunity to stop in here any time and chat with some bright people, or just read the comments from said people chatting amongst themselves, really did a lot for me. This place became part of the crutch I needed before I was able figure some things out a bit.

i, I'm glad that you were able to overcome some of the challenges you've faced. I'm happy to hear that you now see some optimism in your life. It's a tough thing some times to get to the point you're at and it isn't always something we can all appriciate from the outside. If SF helped you in some way...that's fantastic to hear. It's helped me in many ways of my own, so hopefully we can all take something from it even if it does annoy us from time to time. ;)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Thanks everbody.

That brightened my day up a lot :-D
I'm truely happy for you.

Bozo :joker:

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
...Somehow this summer I managed to reassemble a life. It's still pretty basic, but it's stable. And for the first time in years I actually have some optimism about how things will progress...

So, are you still living in Arlington?

ddrueding

Fixture
Hee....this forum seems to be the only constant; my life being a perpetual CKD. I change hobbies/friends/women/jobs/cities more often than some people reinstall their PCs.

I guess I'm trying to "ditto" i's comments...you guys are a great resource for more than just 1337 geek knowledge, you also somehow provide stability.

Thanks all.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hey! Wait up! I thought we didn't like this thread at the Tannin House? Aren't you avoiding it, Tannin?

(Pretty much, Orange Furball. No big deal, it's just too long and too disorganised. I tend not to read it.)

So what am I doing posting in it?

(I'm sure you will figure it out, Small Nonsensical One. Hint: read your last post. Look for a word starting with the letter "L".)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
So, are you still living in Arlington?

Yes, I'm managing to hang on. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really earn enough to be living here though. That's kinda sad because Arlington, VA really is a nice place to live. Furthermore, while renting is a financial strain, buying is out of the question because home prices are astronomically high from my perspective.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, I'm managing to hang on. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really earn enough to be living here though. That's kinda sad because Arlington, VA really is a nice place to live. Furthermore, while renting is a financial strain, buying is out of the question because home prices are astronomically high from my perspective.

Same here. Even a 2br/1.5ba is in the $1M range where I want to be.:crap:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Anyone have any good get-rich-quick schemes? Tea?

paugie

Storage is cool
"get rich quick" is not "stable" more like a mountaintop just before the valley.
We have the lotto here but I haven't bet. Sometimes I am tempted but everyone knows it's very risky. ;-)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Anyone have any good get-rich-quick schemes? Tea?

I have got the very thing for you, i. An absolute sure-fire method. Send me a little something for my trouble (such as US$1,000,000) and I'll let you in on the details.

(If you haven't got US$1,000,000, that's OK, just send all you have.)

(Unless you only have buttonns. I don't like buttons.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Very nice sentiments i. It is interesting how you can go through months not even knowing that your odd post or rant actually sustained someone emotionally.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Bartender said:
Thats the ppot calling the keddle blak!

Writing skills and typing skills are differnt issues. You klnow I can write, even if my tuping skills have deteriorated.

ddrueding

Fixture
My attendance may be impacted in the very near future...if I have the balls I'll be homeless (and single) in the next few days.

Ended up having dinner yesterday with my shrink and my (soon to be divorced) next girlfriend...sometimes I think my story would make for good reading...

ddrueding

Fixture
Everything is fine; more than fine actually. This is something that should have happened months ago, except that I haven't had the nerve to go through with it. Breaking up with someone who is both beautiful and intelligent is a hard thing to do; particlarly when you can't really put your finger on what is wrong. But what can I say? I'm not happy where I am and I need to move on. Unfortunatly, this means hurting someone who I still care quite a bit about. I'm not looking forward to it. And it technically is her house, so I'll be looking for a new place.

Mercutio

Well, Comcast is down in my whole apartment complex. I haven't had Internet access for 2 days. You'd think all the idiots not being able to watch football on Sunday would be enough to get a tech out to fix it, but no, they're not even willing to send someone to look into it til Monday afternoon.

Arg.

Handruin

Administrator
Everything is fine; more than fine actually. This is something that should have happened months ago, except that I haven't had the nerve to go through with it. Breaking up with someone who is both beautiful and intelligent is a hard thing to do; particlarly when you can't really put your finger on what is wrong. But what can I say? I'm not happy where I am and I need to move on. Unfortunatly, this means hurting someone who I still care quite a bit about. I'm not looking forward to it. And it technically is her house, so I'll be looking for a new place.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm able to relate to how you feel. I've gone through the same thing with someone and I also didn't want to hurt someone I cared about. On one side you'll seem like the worlds biggest jerk to her, but if you stay with her and you're unhappy, you're also doing no justice. It is a really hard thing to do and I know what it feels like. Good luck with finding a new place. I hope things can go relatively well with the situation.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well, Comcast is down in my whole apartment complex. I haven't had Internet access for 2 days.

Don't they provide some limited dial-up time for such contingencies and travel to isolated areas?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm able to relate to how you feel. I've gone through the same thing with someone and I also didn't want to hurt someone I cared about. On one side you'll seem like the worlds biggest jerk to her, but if you stay with her and you're unhappy, you're also doing no justice. It is a really hard thing to do and I know what it feels like. Good luck with finding a new place. I hope things can go relatively well with the situation.

Tonight was really difficult. I couldn't tell her; as our plans for the night were to go dancing in Palo Alto, where the instructor for the was class the "other woman". Therefore me telling her would have created way too much drama for me to deal with. The GF is going on a trip on Thursday; I hope to have an apartment secured by the time she gets back, then we can have "the talk" and I can get the heck out of here.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Everything I have ever said about Republicans is true.

I hate this country. Can one of you Aussies, Brits or Philipinos sponsor me for citizenship?

So??? If someone had the time, they could compile a list like that with all democrats.
Besides, the last one about Rumsfeld blows the list credibility right out of the water. The so called 'documents' that are referenced are a joke and an obvious bad attempt to look like a 'official poor Iraqi statement'. Was it written on parchment or a piece of used toilet paper?

Mercutio

Bozo, the fact is that the shrill, moralizing bastards that make up the republican party are as or more guilty of the very crimes they stand up and condemn in others.

If I had to guess, I'd say that a similar list for other political parties would not be as expansive nor as extreme.
Again, I'm not a democrat. I just hate republicans.

Sol

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
Can one of you Aussies, Brits or Philipinos sponsor me for citizenship?

What makes you think that you'll be substantially less subject to the whims of the US government in any of those countries... At least where you are you can try to vote them out...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've told my kids that there will be another revolution or civil war here. But that I would be dead before that happened. Now I think I might live long enough to see it.

At least here you have the right to express your opinion and to call our "leaders" CxxK Sxxxxers if you like.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"<LenaWarrior> Does Australia float around or is it stuck there"
"<KoreaPro> Are you serious?"

ROTFLMAO

Mercutio, you made my day :rotfl:

Handruin

Administrator
Hehe. There are some good ones in there.

"<ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"