Sony Support at its finest

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Needless to say I am far, FAR beyond pissed about this, or I wouldn't be posting it here.

Dawn says, What is the model # of your drive? What version of windows are you running? What is the mhz of your system?
You say, DRU500a, 2000 Server, 2800MHz. Drive will not write to any media, reads maybe 1 out of 3 discs.
Dawn says, This drive is not swupported on a Server.
Dawn says, supported
You say, So?
Dawn says, We would not be able to assist you with the drive on this system
You say, I don't need assistance. I need an RMA
Dawn says, YOu states that you are on Win 2000 Server.
Dawn says, We do not just issue RMA's
You say, I can plug it into a 2000 Pro machine. It'll do the same thing.
Dawn says, You will need to troubleshoot first.
You say, How do I get an RMA.
Dawn says, You will need to troubleshoot first
Dawn says, We only support the drives for 1 year. You will need to contact us via phone for pay-for-support at 800-588-3847. If you have a receipt of purchase within the year warranty period fax it to 712-655-3047 attn: Amy. Include this email along with the fax.
You say, Why can't I get one on-line?
Dawn says, Get what online
You say, An RMA? Every other drive manufacturer offers that option.
Dawn says, YOu will need to troubleshoot first
You say, There's no need to troubleshoot. The thing barely even reads brand-new CDs.
Dawn says, We only support the drives for 1 year. You will need to contact us via phone
for pay-for-support at 800-588-3847. If you have a receipt of purchase within the year warranty period fax it to 712-655-3047 attn: Amy. Include this email along with the fax.
You say, It's 6 months old.
Dawn says, Then you will need to do as stated & fax the proof of purchase
You say, This is highly aggravating.
You say, Why isn't this information on the Sony Storage web site?!?
You say, Is the fax numbupposed to be a secret or something? This is ridiculous.
Dawn says, Sir It is listed above
You say, I wouldn't have even attempted this if I knew the direct number to fax an RMA request
Dawn says, 712-655-3047
Dawn says, You will still need to troubleshoot
Dawn says, We do not just issue RMA's with out troubleshooting
You say, It should be on Sony's support pages (e.g. http://sony.storagesupport.
com/dvdrw/contact.htm). It isn't.
Dawn says, You will also need to be on a supported system
Dawn says, That is because you have to troubleshoot befor an RMA can be done
Dawn says, Thank you for using the Sony Technical Support chat service. In a few minutes, a transcript of your chat session will be emailed to the address that you provided at the time of login. Have a nice day.
You say, It's an ATAPI drive. It is attached to a computer running Windows 2000. I'm sure Windows 2000 is a supported operating system. Windows 2000 Server is not in any significant way different from Professional, and it DOESN'T READ most CDs.
You say, Is that not enough information for you?
Dawn says, Yes it is. You will have to have the drive on a Supported system before we can troubleshoot.
Dawn says, You will still need to troubleshoot
You say, So you'd like me to down my PC, yank the drive and put it in a 2000 Pro machine?
You say, That strikes me as unreasonable.
Dawn says, Yes you will need to have it in a supported system
You say, I think you should just take my word for it.
Dawn says, Sir before we will issue an RMA you will need to fax the p/o/p & then put the drive on a supported system.
You say, Am I conversing with a human being?
Dawn says, Or the Rma will not be done
Dawn says, Thank you for using the Sony Technical Support chat service. In a few minutes, a transcript of your chat session will be emailed to the address that you provided at the time of login. Have a nice day.
You say, You have GOT to be kidding me.
Dawn says, NO
Dawn has left this session!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
egh...

That person sounds like they had no interest in helping you or even making you feel like you've been heard.

Maybe you'd have a better experience on the phone vs the chat. You were probably chatting with some Indian or Asian technical support person who ,on a scale, would rank about .1 (can copy/paste scrpts and go through a flow chart).

If they won't uphold their warranty I would report them to the BBB/reseller ratings, etc and then enforce the warranty yourself by buying a new drive and then returning the old drive.

Stick it to em.

Mercutio

According to the support-drone I spoke to, I'd have to pay to speak to someone, and it's likely that I wouldn't get a different outcome.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well, I would start off the conversation that I'm using a 6 month old xxx model drive and that it stopped reading or writing to CD's.

I'm using windows 2000 and have an xxxMHz, xxxMB system that works fine with my other sony drives.

I have tried this drive in another computer and the same problems occurred.

Could you give me an RMA number so I can return this drive.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Find where their support office is and drive there with a double-barrel and a lot of ammo. Then, play Doom live!

Mercutio

blakerwry said:
well, I would start off the conversation that I'm using a 6 month old xxx model drive and that it stopped reading or writing to CD's.

I'm using windows 2000 and have an xxxMHz, xxxMB system that works fine with my other sony drives.

I have tried this drive in another computer and the same problems occurred.

Could you give me an RMA number so I can return this drive.

I might've tried that if I hadn't been absolutely floored by the whole "We won't help because you're using the wrong Windows 2000."

WRT to the "are you human?" comment I made, her responses were mostly cut-and-paste quick. I don't even think she was processing anything I wrote.
The annoying thing is, there's NO direct-contact info on Sony's site; there's really no one I can complain to. I thought about asking for a manager but how would I know if I really got one. She "decided" she wouldn't help (I'm still not convinced I was talking to a human).

Sony's retail box lists Windows 2000 as a supported platform. I REALLY don't see a problem with that.

Blake, the big problem with returning the drive at retail is the big sticker on it that says "Manufactured May whatever, 2003". Presumably anyone who examined it would be able to see that.

I keep reading the transcript over and over. Every time, it pisses me off more.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The direct contact number should be 1-800-588-3847

Sony's site sucks, it took me maybe 10 minutes just to find the right support place for their optical drives... and even then it only gives you two options, email or chat.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My theory with dealing with types like this is that I simply got a bad employee. I don't start out condemming the entire company for the actions of one person. Sony is big enough that the will litterally have hundreds/thousands of people answering that same phone number. Call again, to get a new person. If it happens repeatedly then maybe it is Sony and its policies

Mercutio

2nd round with online support (they haven't sent me the transcript yet, or I'd post it):
me: I'm using 2000 Pro now.
them: Are you using the software that came with the drive?
me: I'm just trying to read a CD.
them: You need to call our support phone number.
me: Can you issue an RMA?
them: No.

Of course, the funny thing about this is that my previous discussion with "Dawn" suggested that, had I done some troubleshooting work with her, I would be able to get an RMA (How do I get an RMA? You need to troubleshoot first.)

So I called their tech support. 15 minutes on hold, and Holly Jolly Burl Ives crap elevator music later...

Them: Hi, I'm some random moron.
Me: I have a drive. It can't read most brand-new CDs.
Them: You can't get any support with 2000 Server.
Me: I switched to Pro.
Them: Oh. That's not in my notes. <five minutes of typing> What's it doing?
Me: Not reading CDs.
Them: Are you using our software?
Me: For what? I'm pretty sure Windows handles the "read" part of dealing with CDs.
Them: Uh...
Me: I put in a CD. 2/3s of the time it goes "clunk" and doesn't read the disk. Here. Listen.
Drive: Clunk. Clunk. Clunk.
Them: What's the serial number on the drive?
Me, happy that someone might actually be helpful: <Sony S/N>
Them: Let me transfer you to level 2 support.

Level2 then proceeds to ask me all the same questions all over again (despite obviously using a trouble ticket system, which should've told her all those things), followed by "Have you tried our diagnostic software?"
Me: Yep. It failed.
Them: Can we try it again?
Me: The last guy told me to take the drive out of my PC to read the S/N!
Them: No RMA without our diagnostic.
Me: Can we not do this?
Them: Nope. We have to.
Me: So you're saying it might be normal for a DRU500AX to go Clunk, Clunk, Clunk instead of spinning up a disc?
Them: Maybe...
Me: <uses every swear-word I know in a non-English language while reinstalling the drive and running their stupid test again>.
Them, cheerfully: Have a nice day!
Me, just as cheerfully: Rot in hell!

Compare this to getting support from, say, Cisco:
Me: Hi. I have $500 switch that's not switching, my support contract ID is <blah>.
Them: You'll see a guy in an hour or two.

Or WD's website:
Me: I have a bad drive. I will click the button that says "RMA my current POS WD drive for another".
Me: Type-Type-Type
WD's website: RMA #<blah>. Try not to write dirty words on the box this time.

So I spent about 3 hours today dealing with Sony's support for a clearly broken drive. It might be different if I wasn't sure, or if I had actual questions I needed answered. I didn't have either of those things. I have what anyone with a lick of technical knowledge would call a bad drive. I'll leave ranting about why I couldn't talk to someone with that lick of knowledge for a thread in the P&B.

Sony just made my personal hate list.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Me: <uses every swear-word I know in a non-English language while reinstalling the drive and running their stupid test again>.
Did I contribute to your knowledge in that field?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've worked in customer support, and the managers often impose requirements that have no bearing on real life. I was often required to run customers through several troubleshooting steps which I knew were not going to work, just so that I could say that they were done, and the damn thing still didn't work.

This is not to say that customer support reps aren't sometimes morons (I worked with plenty), but they get restricted into doing things that are not only unhelpful, but frustrating.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
That is simply appalling. Indeed, it treatens to dethrone my Hewlett-Packard DOA printer RMA saga as a vivid example of how to really bugger things up and destroy your customer base.

So ..... are you buying many Sony products these days, Merc?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
But that is the key to good customer service in a call center environment -- a company policy may not be in the customer's best interest, but the way a service representative presents the information and offers alternatives, can diffuse a potentially volatile situation. Remember the saying, "Customer is King!" I know, I'm relating this information to the wrong group. :D

Mercutio

CougTek said:
Mercutio said:
Did I contribute to your knowledge in that field?

No French, actually (although... "gross christ de vache". I know that one, and from context "Tabarnak" appears to be something like "Dammit") . Arabic, Bengali, Mandarin and German. All picked up in college. A Saudi and a Bangladeshi lived next door to me for two years. In an amazing cultural exchange, we learned to call each other's mother awful things. Mandarin from working with a Chinese guy who curse at computers like CougTek does - although I don't know what most of it means, and German from having many years of german language classes (don't get your hopes up Buck).

Mercutio

Buck said:
But that is the key to good customer service in a call center environment -- a company policy may not be in the customer's best interest, but the way a service representative presents the information and offers alternatives, can diffuse a potentially volatile situation. Remember the saying, "Customer is King!" I know, I'm relating this information to the wrong group. :D

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with Tannin here, Buck, but IMO, there would've been a great deal less aggravation if the first support-bot and the web pages that guided me TO the support-bot had been forthcoming about Sony's support policies and services.

In the course of my conversations it was also revealed that 1. They were trying to get me to call out of warranty, for-pay support, since my drive "couldn't've been manufactured in 2003" (It was, January 3rd, and it has 5 months of warranty by purchase date besides). 2. That no Sony hardware is supported with a server OS. This was a blanket statement by a "Sony Storage" 2nd-level technician. I'm sure they get innundated with calls for support for the all-too-common XP Home + DDS Tape Library combo. 3. That Sony, and no Sony OEM or partner, make a DVD-writable drive on which a server OS is compatible (same chick as the last ignorant statement - I was asking out of curiousity of what an enterprise customer might need to do to get a supported product). 4. Several drives identify as DRU-500As to their support tools, which are not; They also tried to tell me I had an OEM drive.

And last, 5. It may be possible that a Sony DRU-500A would make noises that sound very much like a seatbelt being buckled, repeatedly, during "normal" operation.

Basically, I've got a river of ignorance flowing from the stopped-up toilet of Sony Storage support. I hope to hell that this gets indexed by google.
Maybe I was wrong being aggravated the first time, but I certainly wasn't by the time I got done playing their game.

Handruin

Administrator
In your letter, tell them you were trying to make a wedding DVD picture collection for a family member as a gift and the unit crapped out on the day of the wedding... 8)

I would have lied to them and said it was in a win2k machine (non-server) and that their software was installed. It gets to a point sometimes where you know tech support enough that you can feed them the information you need to get the RMA completed. Satisfy their requirements and both will be happy.

Basically, suck up your pride and tell them what they want to hear...play dumb. It's frustrating when both people do tech support because sometimes you overanalyze each other. I may know what the problem is, but I have to get through their BS protocol to get the RMA.

I'm not at all saying it was right that they treated you like crap...giveum hell.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
2. That no Sony hardware is supported with a server OS. This was a blanket statement by a "Sony Storage" 2nd-level technician. I'm sure they get innundated with calls for support for the all-too-common XP Home + DDS Tape Library combo.
Monitors, too?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup I wouldn't have mentioned the "server" word to those tards. Imagine if you had said 2003 Server? Her scriptbook would have gone all haywire and she would have had a mental breakdown.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with Tannin here, Buck . . .

I should've included:
sechs said:
I've worked in customer support, and the managers often impose requirements that have no bearing on real life. I was often required to run customers through several troubleshooting steps which I knew were not going to work, just so that I could say that they were done, and the damn thing still didn't work.

This is not to say that customer support reps aren't sometimes morons (I worked with plenty), but they get restricted into doing things that are not only unhelpful, but frustrating.

I was attempting to emphasize what sechs had mentioned regarding the struggle between the customer service representative and the policies that must be followed. Then my comment rolled into a one sentence rant.

Mercutio

Pradeep said:
Yup I wouldn't have mentioned the "server" word to those tards.

I also had no reason not to tell the truth. CD/DVD burning is something that's well-supported by Windows 2000.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have to agree with Handruin. Sometimes telling the truth only makes things more difficult. A polite lie concerning the state of affairs can do a lot to grease the wheels.

Despite running Win2k Pro, I've several times needed to say that I was running Windows 98, ME, or XP in order to be "supported." While I know that an unsupported OS does not cause the printer to make grinding noises; since they haven't checked it out , the support wonks can't be sure that it doesn't.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
sechs said:
I've worked in customer support, and the managers often impose requirements that have no bearing on real life.

I've always wondered what's the minimum requirements to work at customer support...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
zx said:
I've always wondered what's the minimum requirements to work at customer support...

Not enough, in my opinion.

Upper management sees support as a cost center rather than a way to encourage future sales. So they attempt to minimize the amount of money put into it. As we all know, you get out what you put in.

For my stint, I was lucky to have a number of guys of above average knowledge around me, as the tech economy had sent them to such low flying positions.

Mercutio

We shall begin the Reading at Mercutio 6: verses 4 - 9, 12 - 17

4. And so, six weeks after I shipped out my Sony DRU-500AX, a replacement was delivered unto me.

5. And verily, did I install it in my Windows 2000 Server Computer. And in my haste, I chafed as it "Found New Hardware", I yearned as it ""Installed New Devices", and I quaked with delight as E: enjoined C: and D: and M: 'mongst my devices.

6. Lo, did I insert writable DVD media, for to back up my personal files as has been procsribed since time immemorial, whereupon Nero 6.3 did greet me with "Please insert Writable media".

7. I looked upon it, and I was not pleased, for it was loathesome in my sight.

8. Yea, did I bring forth an unopened ReWritable DVD disc, and it too was spurned. Again, I tried, with a different brand, and with Alcohol 120% and, in my weakness, even the Arcsoft program that came with the drive. Not yet truly humiliated, I debased myself before the Diagnostic program, and again I was spurned.

9. I cursed its maker's name, for it had forsaken me in my moment of joy.

12. So the maker's support line sang unto me the words of Mick Jagger, and it was an abomination for both the receiver and for the speakerphone, and sorely was I tempted to partake of the "End Call" button.

13. Long did I hold, though beset by ills, and they were called Lynard Skynard and Wings and Celine Dion. They were called Legion, for they were many.

14. Finally I spoke, at the font of evil and ignorance, of my troubles. I spoke of my serial number, and my RMA #, and my drive manufacture date, and of the loathesomeness of my error messages.

15. Yet before I could speak words yet more, the font itself did utter as vile a thing as has ever been said: "I'm sorry sir, but your drive is now out of warranty, and you need to be aware that we'll have to troubleshoot the drive before we can provide you with further support options."

16. And mightily I did spike my phone in my wrath. For in the foulness of that Utterance, I proclaimed that the whole of my receiver shall be made as two, and the part so defiled by the Words, and the seeds of Sony should be burned from the earth.

17. And so, this night, in the holy Parking lot , annointed in Butane, I cleansed the telephone recevier and the unclean drive in holy fire, and did empty my bladder on the wholeness of the evil, in the name of righteousness. And at last, it was good in mine eyes.

Mercutio

I wasn't kidding about any of it. I don't think I've ever been that mad about anything related to computers in my life as I am about that. Sony returned that drive to me "with the remainder of its manufacturer's warranty", which ended January 17th, one day after it was shipped from their repair depot.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
ROTFLMAO! I almost was in tears that was so funny... (of course, I empathize with your aggravating experience with the evil tech support drones)

Mercutio

Apparently, Sony actually repairs the original drive, rather than immediately sending a replacement. Hence the 6-week wait. That plus the plastic-coated blackened metal scraps were kicked onto some nearby train tracks...

I think I can now give Coug a run in the "getting mad at hardware" department.

Now I just have to buy myself a new phone and a new DVD burner at work...