Special heatsink requirements...

ddrueding

Fixture
Coug seems to be the resident expert at such things, but I would appreciate anyone's input.

Supermicro X9DRD-iF (Rev 1.02)

It takes Socket 2011 chips, but when I try to connect the Zalman CNPS11X Performa (which states 2011 compatibility) the mounting plate holes are in the wrong spot (too wide). Is there some other variant of the 2011 mount I'm not aware of?

Further, the airflow would be across the motherboard and not towards the back of the chassis.

I have the full height of a 4U chassis to play with, so height isn't really a concern. Width is slightly, as I'll be populating both sockets. Also bear in mind that the DIMM slots are really close and all populated. And that I'm running top-end 150W CPUs.

Thanks all!

Handruin

Administrator
I hate you!

I've never setup an LGA2011 platform so far, so I won't be of much help to troubleshoot your issue. Sorry.

Dropkick one of your current systems as a result of anger in not knowing how to help ddrueding and then build a new machine.

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering the motherboard and CPU combo alone cost >$4k, I don't think it is on the list of anyone that worries about money. I may have it fold for a week or two before delivery, though ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Since I don't even know if I'll have money to eat this week-end (looking good though), I certainly won't ruin one of my systems for the sole purpose of replacing it to help Dave figure out how to screw his heatsinks, no matter how nice a guy he is.

If you are going to run the FAH client on it, try to run it under Linux with the beta client version 7. This system should be powerful enough even to complete the newest and biggest beta units. They introduced new big beta units that are even bigger than those SDBardwick complete every now and then. Those units timeout on a dual-socket board with 2x 6-core/12-thread LGA1366 CPUs.

Handruin

Administrator
Since I don't even know if I'll have money to eat this week-end (looking good though), I certainly won't ruin one of my systems for the sole purpose of replacing it to help Dave figure out how to screw his heatsinks, no matter how nice a guy he is.

If you are going to run the FAH client on it, try to run it under Linux with the beta client version 7. This system should be powerful enough even to complete the newest and biggest beta units. They introduced new big beta units that are even bigger than those SDBardwick complete every now and then. Those units timeout on a dual-socket board with 2x 6-core/12-thread LGA1366 CPUs.

Lack of funds certainly hasn't stopped you from breaking stuff in the past. I hope you're able to work out some cash flow so you can eat. You need to keep up your strength to be able to break things for us. You're our own personal version of will it blend. If you get desperate for food, I'll mail you some.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks, but my donation for the forum (and you) was a one-way trip. I should be ok financially for now and I have a few alternatives if things worsen. Thanks for the offer.

BTW, my version is more often "will it bend" than "will it blend".

Handruin

Administrator
I could start a web series called "Folding at home", but I bet I would get in trouble with some guys at Stanford university.

Nah. not if you do so in the spirit of their project. Didn't you setup your own web host? Install wordpress and get going on it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
With the accent I have when I speak English, viewers would say that computer gears aren't the only things I massacre.

ddrueding

Fixture
My progress with Supermicro Tech support:

I have an X9DRD-iF, a pair of E5-2687Ws, and a pair of Zalman CNPS11X Performa heatsinks. These heatsinks claim to be socket 2011 compatible, but do not fit this board (the whole mounting is too wide). Is there a special form factor that I need to get? Any recommended heatsinks?
<1 Hour>
[FONT=&quot]What chassis are you using with that board?[/FONT]
<2 Minutes>
Thank you for your prompt response.

I'm using a standard 4U chassis. I have >14cm of vertical space, and the only horizontal constraint is the other CPU. This is for a graphics workstation, so I would be looking for a quieter solution.
<2 Hours>
Received feedback from our engineer; X9DRD-iF is only recommended being installed in 1U SC813, SC815 and 2U SC825 chassis. X9DRD-iF is not recommended being installed in a 4U chassis.
<2 Minutes>
I don't need a chassis recommendation, I just need the model number of a heatsink that will fit.

We'll see where this goes. Did they really build a non-standard socket/mounting plate? Do they not offer a heatsink that isn't bundled with one of their high-density super-noisy expensive chassis?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Received feedback from our engineer; X9DRD-iF is only recommended being installed in 1U SC813, SC815 and 2U SC825 chassis. X9DRD-iF is not recommended being installed in a 4U chassis.

That's a shameful, lame and idiotic reply. It doesn't help you the slightless either. If you go to the page of the SC825 chassis, it does not include any heatsink, which is obvious, but there's a link to their heatsinks and fans page, none of them being compatible with socket R.

And if their X9DRD-iF motherboard was only compatible with the three chassis models he replied, why bother making standard E-ATX holes and not make a proprietary holes placement with a bunch of chassis made for it? Worse, there's no list of recommended chassis on the X9DRD-iF page, only a mention that you should contact a sales moron for advices. The board follows E-ATX standard, it should be compatible with most E-ATX chassis, period. There's no such thing as a motherboard made only for 1U and 2U chassis. If the holes fit, it can be mounted in ANY U chassis or even non-rackmountable chassis with space ample enough to fit an E-ATX board.

And the simple fact that he had to bother an engineer over that is revolting. Someone at Supermicro should break a desk with the forehead of the idiot who replied you that. Damn, they piss me off!

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
That box just returned a 374K unit. Don't know any more details; no access right now. Maybe a P8101 unit?

Last edited:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I got the same kind of idiot response from Supermicro. I did manage to get 3 boards repaired with the help of my vender.
Those boards are now relegated to wiping hard drives with Partition Wizard.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Over the years I've gotten the impression that they really only want to deal with people who buy complete systems from them, which makes me lean more toward Tyan and Intel for serious machines. I don't have that much experience with SuperMicro myself but I've been reading this crap from other people for long enough to look at them in about the same way I look at Asus - the potentially annoying third choice I might look at if my first two don't work out.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Too bad, I like their boards. Odd mix of server and consumer things.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Asus board is more expensive than the Superµ you currently have. On the positive side, it can overclock its processors. Your enclosure has holes for SSI EBB motherboards, right? A rackmount case should, but I ask for the form.

You know you'll be able to fit two Revo drives more on this board than on your current moron-made board.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm using a modified Antec 4U chassis so I can get some decently large fans, heatsinks, and a standard power supply in there. No standard HDDs, only one Revo and one GPU. Not even an optical drive.

chbarg

What is this storage?
I have the same problem.

I am ordering a Dynatron R14 that is for "Intel® Sandy Bridge Romley-EP/EX Narrow ILM Processors up to TDP 150 Watts"

From the supermicro website, one of their servers is listed as using one of these:
SNK-P0047PS - 1U Passive CPU Heat Sink for X9 Generation Motherboards w/ Narrow ILM

But I can not find a seller.

Another option is the BXSTS200PNRW. Some websites list it as having a fan but the model number looks to similar to the passive BXSTS200P.

Hopefully it helps.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thank you chbarg and sdbarwick! Great info! I, too, couldn't find a source for the Dynatron "Narrow ILM" heatsink. The CNPS11X works fine in the ASUS board that arrived today. Perhaps I'll just make some brackets that will allow these heatsinks to go on the narrow ILM sockets? Just a couple pieces of stamped metal...when I have the time :roll:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well, week-end's over and I've not starved. Positive thinking can take you far. I still won't break my computer just for your enjoyment though, although...

shoebox.jpg

That's my Linux box. Been like that since I kicked it last Fall. I wrote about it back then. Did not even reboot or stop running the fah client when it happened. Will be hard to sell in that state though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, normal heatsinks fit just fine. The BIOS for that board is not as straightforward as I would like; I still haven't found the XMP memory profile setting location, though I haven't looked that hard. No OC'ing yet, either. I hope to get a Linux install going tomorrow, then get some F@H action ;)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Just set the memory timing manually. You know what you bought. The success or failure of the F@H units will tell you if the memory is working properly or not. With the speed of that system, it won't take long to know as it will complete units fairly quickly.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
You know those 35$ Dynatron heatsinks aren't exactly pleasant company, right? 7000rpm for a 60mm size, I let you figure it out. You don't want this outside of a server room.

Ooohhhh. Delta Black label fans, circa the birth of overclocking. I still have one somewhere. Plug it in and it's a little hovercraft. A little, screamingly, annoyingly, loud hovercraft...

ddrueding

Fixture
Ooohhhh. Delta Black label fans, circa the birth of overclocking. I still have one somewhere. Plug it in and it's a little hovercraft. A little, screamingly, annoyingly, loud hovercraft...

Quite. They took the tips of my fingers more than once.

chbarg

What is this storage?
Hello Everybody,

Is there a fan header dedicated for the CPU FAN?
Is there a BIOS setting to tell the fan controller to speed up the fans when the CPU gets hot?

My E5-2987W reaches 73 C and the fans keep spinning at the same speed. All fans in the case are PWM (4 pins)
Thank you

ddrueding

Fixture
There is a header on the motherboard specifically for the CPU fan. Many motherboards allow automatic fan speed variation with CPU temp. 73C may not be high enough to cause it to spin faster (80C+ is still safe according to Intel)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Maybe the CPU heatsink is dirty or the thermal pad or thermal paste is dry or incorrectly applied and it causes the CPU to overheat. There's usually a setting for it in the BIOS, where you can set the temperature at which the fan will spin at full speed. It depends a lot on the motherboard you have.