SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Bah. I was not able to install the CS4 demo on a workstation PC. There was no explanatory message other than that there was an error. I was able to install it in a notebook, so the downloaded files are good.

Is Adobe becoming as sloppy as MS? I really don't want to spend $500+ for an application that may or may not install. Any ideas?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I translate "cannot" in minimum requirements listings as "is not supported."

Translation: Adobe is a bunch of assholes who hate its customers so much they won't let people do the one thing that would probably help system performance more than any other possible hardware change.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Incorrect.

More reasonable translation: We tried this and couldn't get it to work right. Or, we tried this and it broke something else. Or, we didn't have the time/money to try this, so we don't know if it works.

If they hated their customers, they'd require QuickTime.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Intel's X25-E Extreme solid-state drive. All I can say is Wow. It isn't cheap for its size but it certainly is the best SSD, by far, that I've seen tested.
Best is subjective, X25-E is old news (check the "News" forum once in a while ;) ), limited capacity.

Sam's 256GB SSD-disruptive performance...cost?

Incorrect.

More reasonable translation: We tried this and couldn't get it to work right. Or, we tried this and it broke something else. Or, we didn't have the time/money to try this, so we don't know if it works.

If they hated their customers, they'd require QuickTime.

QT rocks! (on a Mac, superior OS as you know ;)...get Snow Leopard Q1 '09).

ddrueding

Fixture
David will probably have one by next week. ;) I'll wait until January.

Nope. The X-25M is all I need*. my next big purchase (after the wedding and honeymoon) will be a car or a 5DII.

*need, in this case, meaning "could possibly appreciate". I'm sure the Velociraptor was fine, as were the 3x 1st Gen SSDs before them, and the 2x 740GDs before them, and the 4x 360GDs before that. I honestly don't think I could demonstrate when in my workflow the storage subsystem is the bottleneck any more.

ddrueding

Fixture
They all get resold/redistributed. My home machine now holds the old SSDs, but because they are so small, that machine also has the Raptors as data drives. The 360GDs went out in workstations, and the Velociraptor (that was only in my machine for 2 weeks) got put in my boss' machine.

LunarMist

It is interesting, but limited to an OS supported by the drivers. Perhaps one of those and an SSD would be a good combination.

That X-25E sure is enticing. What is the current consensus opinion of Intel? Will their SDD drive be reliable enough to use for a few years?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It is interesting, but limited to an OS supported by the drivers. Perhaps one of those and an SSD would be a good combination.

That X-25E sure is enticing. What is the current consensus opinion of Intel? Will their SDD drive be reliable enough to use for a few years?

See the original link that I posted on the X25-E and they go through the lifespan analysis.
Tech Report said:
The X25-E Extreme's expected lifespan will, of course, depend on how many gigabytes of write-erase operations are thrown at it. Even with 100GB of write-erase per day, it'll take more than 72 years to burn through the drive. Couple that with the Extreme's two-million-hour Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) rating, and one can probably expect the drive to last.

LunarMist

I read that, but how credible of a manufacturer is Intel lately? If it were a Seagate or Samsung device, I would not trust it as far as it could be tossed. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Given how light they are...you could probably toss it pretty far. ;-)

LunarMist

The X25-E is fast, really fast.
:jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin: :jumpin:

LunarMist

Just one! It is the single most expensive hard drive for me since the original Atlas 10K. I'm not made of money like so many IT people. I'm glad to have waited for several years until a truly high performance SSD existed. Now I am hoping to get a couple of good years of use from it. I only wish it were 64GB rather than 32GB.

LunarMist

So you bought one, eh? Lucky you! Now how fast is fast?

They are plenty fast enough even for Santilli to love.

Cheetahs? We ain't got no Cheetahs. We don't need no stinkin' Cheetahs! ;)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
OHHHH, the pain.... I've been waiting SOOOOO long for one that would have decent, or even, doable capacity. 32 gb is just barely enough for this machine.

So, fill me in. What interface? Is it really 4 times faster, in most functions?
My current dual cheetah, raid O, under HD tune does 88mb/sec, average, and, 6.2 ms. ....Will it work with an old Supermicro X5DA8?

LunarMist

It should work on any SATA controller, but SATA II is needed for good performance. I'm getting sustained reads of 240-250 MB/sec (some fluctuations) and writes of 200-205 MB/sec. The latter is a pleasant surprise since the write specs in the datasheet indicate only 170MB/sec. However, 200+ write speed is being reported by other people as well.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
It should work on any SATA controller, but SATA II is needed for good performance. I'm getting sustained reads of 240-250 MB/sec (some fluctuations) and writes of 200-205 MB/sec. The latter is a pleasant surprise since the write specs in the datasheet indicate only 170MB/sec. However, 200+ write speed is being reported by other people as well.

I guess it's time to ditch the 4 drive RAID 0 array I've been running, since it's beating that! (Running 4x 10K.6 on a U320 controller). I'm lucky to 180MB/s read STR! Just petty about the lack of space. (I would be going from ~144GB down to 36GB).

Hmmm... Looks like SSD will be in my next system.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've grown into my 80GB Intel SSD, and my current install is about 60GB. There is no way I'm scaling down to 32GB. 64GB, maybe, but I don't know if the mothboard soft-RAID could handle the 400MB/s of a RAID-0.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Despite IRS incentive, I think this one might be good to wait a year?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How so? My work laptop, with nothing but XP, MS Office 2003 (Word/Excel/PP/Outlook), MS Project 2007, Acrobat 7, Palm Desktop, Nokia PC Suite comes to 14.6 GB. At home I have some photo editing programs in addition, and IIRC the boot drive is ~ 22 GB. On any system I use, data is always on another partition.

ddrueding

Fixture
Spacemonger says the bulk of it is games. Codemasters: GRID, Need for Speed Undercover, Red Alert 3, and Sins of a Solar Empire. But Photoshop CS4 isn't small, either. Then there is the working space for my photo stitching and scratch disk (~20GB).

The advantage is that there doesn't seem to be any performance degredation on the SSD when it is nearly full, but it does severely impact the wear levelling capabilities of the drive.