SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yikes, the prices are $800 for the EVO and $1000 for the Pro. :( I was hoping they would be somewhat less.

LunarMist

Handruin

Administrator
Read this today: https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/
Not sure what to make of it.

Seems there is some confirmation of an actual issue here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fstrim/+bug/1449005

Looks to be a Linux issue and not Samsung's issue.

UPDATE July 17:
We have just finished a conference call with Samsung considering the failure analysis of this issue. Samsung engineering team has been able to successfully reproduce the issue with our latest provided binary.

Samsung had a concrete conclusion that the issue is not related to Samsung SSD or Algolia software but is related to the Linux kernel. Samsung has developed a kernel patch to resolve this issue and the official statement with details will be released tomorrow, July 18 on Linux community with the Linux patch guide. Our testing code is available on GitHub.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
According to the blog post a list of Intel drives is not affected whole a list puff Samsung drives is. I don't really understand the nature of the problem but it sure does look like a Samsung problem.

Edit: Understand that trim is butchering blocks of the filesystem but I don't know what the trim blacklist is for.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The blacklists are generally for devices that misreport capabilities. eg, they say can do function X, but when you try to use function X, it doesn't work according to the agreed contract...

Of course, this may be true just at a point in time, rather than universally. In other words, it depends on the firmware version ...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Yes. Wow. Engineering Heavy Hitters At Work. BIOS Split indeed.

"Caller's responsibility" makes my skin crawl, but I do understand they were trying to provide a highly optimized interface.

Luck of the draw made it appear to be Samsung's problem and not Intel's.

Doug, thanks for the link, very interesting... Looks like the way Samsung SSDs were doing things highlighted this bug in the kernel...

I always love comments like "callers responsibility" and "there is no problem, I think" on source code and mailing list comments, as they truly do radiate confidence. Unfortunately in a lot of source code I get to read as part of my day job, those phrases are all too common... (and don't get me started on the lack of unit tests, comments, or event general design documents in very popular libraries and OS APIs).

LunarMist

What does the bug mean for Samsung SSD use in a PSD, or is it only an issue with Trim?

LunarMist

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On the other hand, I moved the largest DB server that I deal with from running on a RAID1 of 2TB drives to a dedicated SSD for each of OS, DB and DB logs (with the RAID1 drives as local backup) and I was told by the product support guys for that system that it was almost eight times faster by their metrics.

Maybe that installation is not big enough to qualify as an enterprise application, but even if it only keeps half that performance improvement over time, it's still like getting a whole new machine.

Mercutio

Maybe they'd give me one for the $250 I've been trying to collect from them.

boner.png

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
While I admit I have no real need for these high-density storage mediums with my current consumption (honestly, though I'd complain about the speed a single 500GB hard drive would meet my needs admirably) it is rather exciting to see this stuff being made cheaper (well, less astronomically priced) over time as I'm sure I eventually WILL need such high-density storage.

LunarMist

Judging by the picture, if accurate of course, it is indeed a 2.5" drive. It is not, however, the most interesting deal IMO for a 2TB SSD.

This is.

Yeah I want one of those 850 Pros too, and am hoping it will be a little cheaper soon. The EVO is $650 now on sale, but I think it uses too much power for my purposes.

The Sandisk SAS SSD is 15mm in the largest capacities and power specs are 5/12V 7W. It's a 2.5" drive, but not a mobile drive IMO.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm excited for them to begin entering the consumer market. I'm sure they'll be pricey but it's a step in the right direction. I'd love to replace my HDDs with these some day when the price is right.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My guess is the price of the flagship 4TB model will be more or less the same as what the 2TB model costs now, and the prices of the other capacities will be proportionately less. That should hopefully mean 500GB SSDs will drop under the $100 mark. The entire point of going from 2nd to 3rd generation V-NAND is to decrease the price per GB. I'm really looking forward to where this takes us a few years down the road. 2TB SSDs for ~$100 or under would be great.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
"Intel Announces SSD DC P3608 Series"

Anandtech blurb here.

"Intel is introducing a new family of enterprise PCIe SSDs with the aim of outperforming their existing DC P3600 series and even beating the DC P3700 series in many metrics. To do this, they've essentially put two P3600 SSDs on to one expansion card and widened the interface to 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0."

LunarMist

My guess is the price of the flagship 4TB model will be more or less the same as what the 2TB model costs now, and the prices of the other capacities will be proportionately less. That should hopefully mean 500GB SSDs will drop under the $100 mark. The entire point of going from 2nd to 3rd generation V-NAND is to decrease the price per GB. I'm really looking forward to where this takes us a few years down the road. 2TB SSDs for ~$100 or under would be great.

Why would Samsung drop the price by half within 6 months?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Why would Samsung drop the price by half within 6 months?
Maybe because the NAND will cost about half as much per GB when they move from 2nd to 3rd generation? If not that would leave the flagship 4GB model at around $1500. There won't be too many takers for that price.

LunarMist

Maybe because the NAND will cost about half as much per GB when they move from 2nd to 3rd generation? If not that would leave the flagship 4GB model at around $1500. There won't be too many takers for that price.

$1500 sounds good to me for the 4TB 850 Pro. I would not buy the TLC version just to save a few hundred dollars.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Doesn't Intel need to increase and WIDEN its support for SSDs in their chipsets? Full RAID 0,1,5,6,10,50,60,etc, and include all the various commands that SSDs need to function in a proper raid? Or are there software only solutions for SSD-raid that are rock-solid reliable?

Mercutio

Probably not, because those things are a PITA to support and a good justification to extract more money from customers who have good reason to want such things. If you're seriously talking about anything more serious than simple mirrored drives, you probably need to be working with an enterprise storage vendor and if you don't have the cash for that, what makes you think Intel wants to be pestered about what you want?

ddrueding

Fixture
The recent Lenovo servers I've been picking up have their RAID card in them and it plays very well with SSDs in RAID-0, 10, and 50. I don't get all the performance the math would suggest, but it ain't bad.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The recent Lenovo servers I've been picking up have their RAID card in them and it plays very well with SSDs in RAID-0, 10, and 50. I don't get all the performance the math would suggest, but it ain't bad.

We've decided to move away from Lenovo after several 3850 x6s we've been getting had to have major parts replaced during burn in. One had every part replaced but the case.