SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I want a 4TB drive with more than 550 MB/sec. It's not that weird, is it?

LunarMist

Thanks. What is the warranty service situation for Intel SSD? Is there any way to determine if a seller and product are under USA warranty?

Handruin

Administrator
Both sites list the same manufacturing part number SSDPE2KX040T701...how is it different? CDW has been around forever and usually interfaces with businesses. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time because they're often not the cheapest price for any given product. They have a 1-800 phone number you could call and ask.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
CDW has been around for decades, I can remember getting their catalogs in the mail.

LunarMist

Both sites list the same manufacturing part number SSDPE2KX040T701...how is it different? CDW has been around forever and usually interfaces with businesses. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time because they're often not the cheapest price for any given product. They have a 1-800 phone number you could call and ask.

I may be confused by the PCIe 3.1 part, which I thought meant the PCIe card style rather than U.2. My X99 only has PCIe 3.0 if that matters.
I'd want to figure out how to automatically copy that to the NAS.

LunarMist

If your application and/or usage pattern requires random reads your solution is here.

Not really. I suppose it is for servers.
I suppose the sustained writes/reads are nothing special if they only report the 4K random results.

LunarMist

The 2TB MX300 is just too much for the old PSDs. They keep throwing errors on batteries or slowing down after a while. :mad:

Handruin

Administrator
I'm evaluating a 2.5" Samsung SM1715 NVMe 1.6TB drive in my desktop. What does everyone typically use for software to gauge the performance of SSDs under windows these days? I tried the common one like CrystalDiskMark and Atto. Are there others people use?

Stereodude

Not really a
I think you mean the 860 Pro. The use of TLC Nand is disappointing for a "Pro" drive though it seems to perform quite well. The information directly contradicts the Anandtech review Chewy linked which says, "...and Samsung's 64L 3D NAND is used in the new 860 PRO and 860 EVO..."

Also, see: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12348/the-samsung-860-pro-512gb-and-4tb-ssd-review

Last edited:

LunarMist

I think you mean the 860 Pro. The use of TLC Nand is disappointing for a "Pro" drive though it seems to perform quite well. The information directly contradicts the Anandtech review Chewy linked which says, "...and Samsung's 64L 3D NAND is used in the new 860 PRO and 860 EVO..."

Also, see: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12348/the-samsung-860-pro-512gb-and-4tb-ssd-review

In the Samsung press release it is stated that the 860 Pro uses MLC and that the EVO uses TLC.

Stereodude

Not really a
In the Samsung press release it is stated that the 860 Pro uses MLC and that the EVO uses TLC.
No one else states that. Only Storage Review says it has Toshiba flash though. Samsung also shortened the warranty to 5 years on the Pro version.

However, I don't really get it. For the most part the SATA interface was already holding back the 850 Pro. The 860 Pro has little room for more performance, but they want a price premium for it. For the same price level you can get a faster NVMe drive. Or you can get like 95% of the performance for a lot less because other companies can effectively saturate the SATA interface with some of their products also.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
However, I don't really get it. For the most part the SATA interface was already holding back the 850 Pro. The 860 Pro has little room for more performance, but they want a price premium for it. For the same price level you can get a faster NVMe drive. Or you can get like 95% of the performance for a lot less because other companies can effectively saturate the SATA interface with some of their products also.
Not everyone has or is comfortable with M.2.

And why settle for 95% when you can pay more for 100%?

LunarMist

Certainly most computers don't have 6-8 NVMe ports as they do SATA ports.
It would he nice to set up a BAS or storage server with a dozen of the 4TB 860 Pros.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
It would he nice to set up a BAS or storage server with a dozen of the 4TB 860 Pros.

Find a motherboard with enough PCIe x16 slots and you could use a few of these: http://www.aplicata.com/quattro-410/

(Not recommending the above mentioned product, but to demonstrate that this sort of product exists).

PS. http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10drg-q.cfm and https://www.supermicro.com.tw/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11SSL-NC.cfm , so there are boards out there with 3 and 4 PCIex16 slots... Add in a 10GB LAN adapter...

Stereodude

Not really a
I think I will wait for the next generation of NVMe drives before getting one for the new laptop since it already comes with one that will tie me over just fine. The PM981 is already out so the 980 EVO shouldn't be too far away.

LunarMist

I think I will wait for the next generation of NVMe drives before getting one for the new laptop since it already comes with one that will tie me over just fine. The PM981 is already out so the 980 EVO shouldn't be too far away.

Do you expect that to include a 4TB model?

LunarMist

I have no idea. SSD's that large aren't on my radar. 512gB is mostly where my interest is. I could maybe be persuaded to 1TB if the performance was considerably better than a 512gB.

I would be looking at 500/512GB and 4TB, but nothing in between. 500/512GB is enough for the boot drive yet 1-2TB just isn't enough for much data.