SSDs - State of the Product?

Handruin

Administrator
In some cases yes. I'm in a similar boat where my current PC has no PCIe lanes available and I want to add an NVMe drive.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Intel P4510

I suppose 4 or 8TB drives will be expensive, but 3000MB/sec. reads and 2900MB/sec. writes (4TB) is pretty nice. :D

LunarMist

Is there anything better than the Samsung T5 in external 2TB SSDs?

LunarMist

I've been playing around with the 2TB M.2 860 EVO. I'm pretty impressed so far after a few TB written. It doesn't slow down after extended writes like the old 850 EVO. The chips are warm but not hot.
I need an adapter to use in a PSD and will try that later.

LunarMist

Of course two weeks after I got the 2TB 860 EVO, the 970 EVO is announced at 2TB. :(
Unfortunately there is no 2TB 970 Pro, which dashes any hope there would be a 4TB version. I suppose the 2TB 960 Pro was not popular.

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you think the flash is similar to the 860 EVO, but the NVMe reveals the bottlenecks otherwise hidden by SATA?
I'm not really sure. There's not much performance increase, but there's a big increase in power consumption. It certainly isn't suited for a laptop if you care about battery life.

LunarMist

I'm not really sure. There's not much performance increase, but there's a big increase in power consumption. It certainly isn't suited for a laptop if you care about battery life.

The laptop has only 52WHr and I suspect it would not operate at full power on batteries. The laptop would always be on AC unless the generator is off.
Anyway, I don't want excessive heat in the laptop enclosure.

LunarMist

Has there been improvements with the underlying NAND since the earlier one was released? Otherwise this looks like just an improvement with the NAND controller itself...

The 860 EVO was only out a few months ago, so I doubt it. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
I would agree with that statement for drives that are not your boot drive or main application drive. That said, I am surprised at the large difference between the two in your example. I wouldn't have expected 6:1 w/r. Maybe something else is going on under the hood of that system?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
While I doubt it, could the use of the pagefile, system logging, read caching and .net optimisation processes account for the difference?

The other possibility, CrystalDiskInfo has the field reversed? (Or Samsung/smart is reporting bad/wrong information).

ddrueding

Fixture
As normal as my desktop use is. Office, Adobe, games, web browser. Nothing special. The system has plenty of RAM and has hibernation disabled.

fb

Storage is cool
Perhaps you have som application installed that writes heavily to the disk for no apparent reason? Like Spotify used to do.

LunarMist

I'm thinking about that P4510 being the ultimate data drive, but they are still not available. :(

LunarMist

As normal as my desktop use is. Office, Adobe, games, web browser. Nothing special. The system has plenty of RAM and has hibernation disabled.

60TB of office stuff? Even 10TB seems high for a boot drive. Maybe it is the games seeding something constantly for the brain?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I would agree with that statement for drives that are not your boot drive or main application drive. That said, I am surprised at the large difference between the two in your example. I wouldn't have expected 6:1 w/r. Maybe something else is going on under the hood of that system?
Looks to me like there are only about twice as many host writes as reads. Considering how log happy just Win10 is, that doesn't seem to be entirely out of order.

LunarMist

There is still no DC P4510 available. Does anyone know when they will be out?

LunarMist

I could not find the 4TB. 8TB is a little pricey. ;) I wonder if these SSDs are not meant for consumer sales.

LunarMist

Yes I did. How would I connect it to the X99?
For now I may buy an SATA ssd. It's still better on the latencies and multi basking than my NAS and would have some use as a backup later. The two NADS and computers are heating up the joint now that it is summer. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Damn you're right. I edited the post to point to the right location. At least my URL went to something that wasn't this forum post. :) I got burned by my Mac Keyboard vs Windows with the switch from ctrl +v versus command +v for pasting...that and working on little sleep today... :-D

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Anyone else notice SSD prices have been dropping like a rock lately? 1TB SSDs were going for north of $300 early in the year. Now Newegg has a special on the 1TB 860 Evo for only $178. The regular prices of some of the off brands are under $150. Best prices I can find on mechanical 1TB 2.5" drives seem to be in the $40 area. Anything I would actually trust my data with is going for at least $60. So the gap is closing fast.

Stereodude

Not really a
I noticed they seemed cheap compared to where they had been sitting pretty flat for quite some time. I haven't bought any though.

I'm not sure why the price has all of a sudden dropped.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't need any myself right now but the fairly quick price drop is rather interesting. I had read that some new fabs were going online but that wasn't supposed to be until late this year. This was supposed to drop the price of RAM as well except that RAM hasn't budged much. I researched it a little more and found some articles:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/why-are-ssd-prices-plummeting/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-prices-how-low-will-they-go/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/13/flash_oversupply_analysis/

In a nutshell, we're transitioning to 64-layer NAND (which in itself will cause prices to drop), and there seems to be an oversupply of drives using the older 32-layer NAND. The only caveat is so far the largest price drops seem to be for 1TB or smaller SSDs. Larger ones dropped in price as well, but not by the same percentage. 2TB to 4TB SSDs remain a lot higher per GB than 1TB or smaller drives. We'll probably have to wait for significant inroads of 64-layer NAND before the prices of larger drives drop.

I'm also not seeing as much movement of prices on USB flash drives. 256GB USB drives maybe dropped from $60 to $50 on average. In fact, 256GB SSDs can be had for about the same price as 256GB USB drives.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
What's interesting about the pricing now is you can get a useful size SSD for about the same price as the cheapest hard drives are going for, say, around $40. Yes, you'll get less capacity for that $40, perhaps 120GB instead of 1TB, but a lot of people don't need more than 100 or so GB anyway. That wasn't the case not long ago, when all you could get in SSDs for $40 was a rather useless 16 or 32 GB. In fact, I'm even seeing off-brand 250GB SSDs going for around $40. Unless you really need more space than that, and don't have the room for a second drive, it's a no-brainer to get an SSD.

Handruin

Administrator
I definitely like the trend of less expensive NAND-based drives. I haven't been following it that close to notice nor have I really been in the market for a drive but I like that the prices have dropped. I would like a 2TB drive some day for a reasonable price.