Suggestions for changes/enhancements to storageforum

Handruin

Administrator
Hey now. Don't be blaming these forums for an excuse to upgrade a piece of hardware. ;-)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I see what you mean, I had to go in and turn on the quick scroll to replicate it. Honestly though ever sense they fixed safari features in iOS5 I stopped using atomic.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The old forums had a feature I liked that this one doesn't. Specifically when searching for new posts and failing to find any it gave the option of showing all the threads that have changed in the last 24 hours. The current forums simply give a link to the search capability which give me nothing beyond me pressing the search button so I have to construct the 24 hour search manually.

I was playing around and saw that one of the buttons was producing what I used to see. I compared the link to my old favorite:

works the way I want: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

vs.

My old favorite that used to work in the previous forum software: www.storageforum.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew

So I've solved this complaint, at least for me.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I Just noticed I have no icons in the boxes in Quick Reply above the text area. Anyone else?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Text Color, Smiley, Link, Insert Image, Insert Video, Wrap, Spell Check, Switch Editor, Bold, etc.

Handruin

Administrator
I was playing around and saw that one of the buttons was producing what I used to see. I compared the link to my old favorite:

works the way I want: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

vs.

My old favorite that used to work in the previous forum software: www.storageforum.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew

So I've solved this complaint, at least for me.

When I compare both URLs I see the same content. I'm not sure what difference you're seeing, but I'm glad it solved the complaint you had.

Handruin

Administrator
I Just noticed I have no icons in the boxes in Quick Reply above the text area. Anyone else?

You mean the rich text editing buttons?

Text Color, Smiley, Link, Insert Image, Insert Video, Wrap, Spell Check, Switch Editor, Bold, etc.

Are you running any kind of No Script or a browser add on that might block java script? I'm able to see them both in Firefox and Chrome.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
When I compare both URLs I see the same content. I'm not sure what difference you're seeing, but I'm glad it solved the complaint you had.
When there are no new posts, the difference was that one produced a link to the generic search while the other produced a link to a search of all the posts that have changed in the past 24 hours. I didn't really want to have to fill out the generic search form to get a list of posts that have changed in the last 24 hours.

Since I now have a link that works as I would desire I just changed the bookmark and no more problem.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you running any kind of No Script or a browser add on that might block java script? I'm able to see them both in Firefox and Chrome.

Works fine at home on Chrome. My work computer is running XP with Internet Explorer and the IT Nazis have made a mess out of it.
Sorry to bother you.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Increase the edit time, so you have to improve your snide remarks;-)
20 minutes?

Handruin

Administrator
Increase the edit time, so you have to improve your snide remarks;-)
20 minutes?

If I do that, then you'll change back all your thens to thans, and then we'll never know if the edit time was longer than needed. If it's longer than needed, then everyone will be changing their thens to thans and what will we do then?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If I do that, then you'll change back all your thens to thans, and then we'll never know if the edit time was longer than needed. If it's longer than needed, then everyone will be changing their thens to thans and what will we do then?

Brilliant! :bow:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hey, that is not fair. Do you want someone to edit your posts for, say, subversive content?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm sorry you are NOT going to browbeat me into actually proof reading forum posts here
I would loose my individuality

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ive had second thoughts
I realize that with 4400 posts comes some responsibility and respect to the forum and its members
I will do my best to avoid commas and apostrophes since that is your wish oh forum leader
Why not go office style

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I make no claim to speaking Sam nor too advocate his viewing material
The new Mormon

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mark my words: Greg's war on proper English will one day kill us all. You could have stopped this, Handy.
You could have stopped this.

Handruin

Administrator
Ive had second thoughts
I realize that with 4400 posts comes some responsibility and respect to the forum and its members
I will do my best to avoid commas and apostrophes since that is your wish oh forum leader
Why not go office style

It's not my wish for you to avoid them. I would only hope that you would use them correctly. Learning and writing English is an on-going thing for myself. I'm assuming and hoping it's the same for others. We have been teasing you a lot lately and maybe that is a bit disrespectful, but seeing your reasoning behind it can be a little frustrating.

Handruin

Administrator
Thank you but that is NOT one of your strong points
You are at best poorly fluent in my prose

Interesting opinion on his writing skills. I do often get into debates with Mercutio over various things and we don't always agree, but one of his strong points over the years has been his ability to write very well in English.

Handruin

Administrator
Mark my words: Greg's war on proper English will one day kill us all. You could have stopped this, Handy.
You could have stopped this.

We all have faults and we know that the discussions and writings from Greg are unique. I know that some of your comments were in jest and also for comedic value, but giving you the permissions to freely edit that of Greg's posts just because his writing style offends you isn't really in the interest of keeping another forum member around. This is a clash of strong personality types. You're both stubborn in your own ways. There is no easy answer for this. At best I can suggest to use the ignore feature if his postings drive you crazy.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Interesting opinion on his writing skills. I do often get into debates with Mercutio over various things and we don't always agree, but one of his strong points over the years has been his ability to write very well in English.

I also have good personal hygiene and excellent penmanship.