Televisions as monitors: What are you using, and why?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Anyone tried Panasonic's Plasma 1080p 42" Plasmas? Or their 50" Plasmas?

Feedback on the new generation of plasmas, and Panasonics' in particular?

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I can't see having this Westinghouse for 3-5 years. Screen is obviously second rate, and, the darn thing is expensive, for what you are getting.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
If you have enough money to buy an 80" TV for a bathroom, then you probably have enough to remodel your bathroom to fit it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I had only $100-150 budget for the bathroom TV. Now If I had enough money, maybe I could have a toilet installed in the den instead. :non:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Took the Westinghouse back. 50" Panasonic Plasma is probably next. It's 599, and, I can see keeping a 50" TV for 3 years. I was into that pos for 563.00.

WAY to much to be reiminded you were tricked by false advertizing into buying a medium to low quality panel, with a 60 hz screen, and some MEMC chip that doesn't even come close to doing what it's supposed to do.

Everyday I looked at the thing, the only thing I could think of was the false advertizing...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
27 inch Samsung power supply went south after a year. Had to return it to Costco.

It is supposed to have a 2 year Samsung warranty. Anyone ever tried to get anything from Samsung?

Replaced it with a Vizio 32" LED Razer. Was hoping to get a high quality panel, like a 10 bit, but, I seriously doubt thats the case. It's ok. However, it's both expensive, 440 Kali dollars,
and not that big. The LCD I'm typing this on puts it to shame. I need it for a project in the other office, and when it's done, it's going back. The current 27 inch samsung is 320 dollars, the Vizio was 399, plus tax and tax.

The Samsung is about the limit, size wise,(smallest) that I will spring for a monitor. The problem will be the 32" won't fit in the primary setup, due to lack of space and a stand.

Hoping we have a downward price move around Christmas, or after.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Couple things:

1. Getting a Samsung TV warranty sucks. No first-hand experience, but my parents had issues with it. Actually, as I understand it, TV warranties in general pretty much suck; I know people who variously say the same thing about S*ny, Panasonic, Toshiba and LG. I think the best thing to do is to buy TVs on a full service credit card and deal with a retailer with good return policies of its own. You might not get your TV fixed but you'll get a replacement and/or your money back. Amex is your friend.

2. Vizio actually has a pretty good reputation for a budget brand. They came into TVs from selling monitors, and at least a lot of their early products were 16x10 screens with IPS panels. I don't know what their current products are like, but better that than Westinghouse.

2a. But I've heard terrible things about their warranty service too.

Handruin

Administrator
I have first hand experience with a Samsung TV requiring service. My plasma 5084 had a problem with sparkling streaks and other odd colors about a year after I bought it. My TV has the same 2 year warranty as yours. After some time the TV would no longer turn on.

I called samsung and they scheduled an appointment with me. A samsung service person came out a few days later and fixed the issue. My TV needed a new controller board because it had gone bad. They replaced it on-site and was done in an hour. The longest part was the number of screws that had to be taken out and put back in.

Even though my TV had broke, it was a positive repair experience. The TV has worked fine since.

Sol

Storage is cool
My old Samsung TV flaked out a few months ago (Just sat switching off and on for ages when turned on), it was out of warranty but was a known issue with the capacitors so if I'd called they might have come out and fixed it, but I'd probably have had to take half a day off work to be there. For the price of a couple of capacitors it wasn't worth it so I just fixed it myself.

ddrueding

Fixture
I shipped that Sim2 projector back to the US repair center in Florida for $350. They "repaired the fan motor" for $25 and shipped it back. While they were at it they cleaned the whole unit and flashed to the latest firmware. Awfully nice of them.

Handruin

Administrator
I shipped that Sim2 projector back to the US repair center in Florida for $350. They "repaired the fan motor" for $25 and shipped it back. While they were at it they cleaned the whole unit and flashed to the latest firmware. Awfully nice of them.

Wow, was it really that big and heavy to ship at that cost or was it an insurance cost?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
32" Vizio LED was 440 dollars. The light sensor didn't work.
Returned it.

Replaced with a LED Samsung 27" SA 350.

Now maybe the power supply will last more then a year.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's not an easy market right now. I buy at Costco, with their return policy, and they encourage you to try TV's, and bring them back if you are not happy. Keep in mind that the 37 inch Vizio LCD I bought is still in play, and I'm delighted with it.
It's the standard that I compare the others too. It has a 10 bit screen, and great depth.

The 32" has a light sensor that was worthless, in fact, more then worthless. It turned the TV down, in the dark. It should have been a high quality, working TV, with a high quality screen. It wasn't. It looked like a poor quality screen, at a high price point. Or, they just don't have the LED stuff down.

If the TV companies used quality components it would be easier.
Also, Costco buys junk sometimes at attractive price points. Viore 42" for instance, and a Westinghouse as well. It's sort of they are good with having people return them, figuring they will sell a lot of them, and a good percentage will not notice the failings, and, they make additional money by selling an extended warranty.

I was happy with the prior 27" Samsung monitor. It cost 270.
Not my fault they used a power supply that died in less then a year.

When the monitor failed, I was going to get another. However, the price point, since they had just come out with a 'new model', was 329 bucks. Thats 60 dollars more then the one that failed.

So, the 32" TV looked pretty good value wise. It wasn't. I didn't like the picture, or the failed features from the start.

The only TV in the monitor price range that has what looks like a ten bit panel is a Panasonic 32" 720 for 289. However, it doesn't have a DVI input, only RGB and
HDMI.

It's really too small for the living room, and too big for the home office desk.

I REALLY like having two monitors working, and use them all the time.

The 27" is big enough to use in the living room, only if moved to a coffee table, or dining room table with a long cable. But, it works in a pinch, and I can easily move it.

They have a great deal on 23" monitors right now, 160 dollars. Food for thought.

The TV's aren't under the same return policy as the monitors. You have 3 months, and then you have to go through the dealer.

So, if I'm not REALLY happy with a TV, I return it, ASAP.

The Panasonic is 289, that's 40 bucks, or nearly 25% more then the 27" Samsung, and it's too big for the home office and too small for the living room. Beautiful picture, however.

Anyone run a 720 TV off a 1920 signal? IIRC David did. I do wonder what the picture quality would be like...playing DVD/Bluray quality stuff off the HTPC, using a 1080P signal, into a 720 TV.

Handruin

Administrator
Anyone run a 720 TV off a 1920 signal? IIRC David did. I do wonder what the picture quality would be like...playing DVD/Bluray quality stuff off the HTPC, using a 1080P signal, into a 720 TV.

First, you're mixing the vertical (720) against the horizontal (1920) size in two different resolution formats.

I don't believe it works like that. If your source device (Bluray, Cable box, etc) is capable of 1920x1080P output and your TV has a maximum display of 1280x720P, you won't be able to see a 1920x1080P resolution. The source device will have to negotiate and downscale to 1280x720P (or the TV will do it).

To answer your question, the resolution would be a downscaled 1280x720P. You would not be taking advantage of the higher output capacity of your source device. If you want the 1080P, get a display that supports it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The 32" has a light sensor that was worthless, in fact, more then worthless. It turned the TV down, in the dark. It should have been a high quality, working TV, with a high quality screen. It wasn't. It looked like a poor quality screen, at a high price point. Or, they just don't have the LED stuff down.

Out of extreme curiousity, what do you expect to happen?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My last tv had a light sensor that made it look terrible too, menu mentioned power savings etc. A little is ok but it went way too far.

LunarMist

You should be able to disable the sensor in the menu, same as for a laptop.

LunarMist

I was thinking about getting one of these 40' TVs to the replace the 32-incher in the workroom, but I would have to lose the DVD player due to space limitations and cervical concerns. If I played DVDs through the computer video card would it uprez cleanly like the upscaling DVD player or look like crap?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I view it as calling the companies on their garbage, and why pay, and then have to put up with junk technologies that don't work, and cost money to make and install?

Why should I pay extra money for some marketing gimic that doesn't work, like a frame doubling chip that do what it's supposed to, or a light sensor that sucks? I have to pay for that stuff, and, that jacks the price up on the item. If more people returned
stuff with garbage that doesn't work, they would stop putting it on the TV's.

Besides, I have a TV that works, that I really enjoy, and a secondary monitor as well, that can sub for the HTPC anytime.

I don't/can't use the HTPC much. I use it for projects, and sometimes movies.
No need to tie up money in something I'm not using much, that only depreciates.

For me to hold on to it, it better be a darn good TV, as good as the one I'm looking at right now.

And yes, I did turn the sensor off. I just wasn't impressed with the software they used on this TV, either.

LunarMist

Realistically, cheap products more often fail to meet user expectations.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You think 440 dollars for a 32" TV is cheap? I bought it thinking I would be happy with it, since it's the top of the Vizio line, just like the one I'm looking at, in that size.

It was considerably more expensive then anything in that size range.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Has it occurred to you that abusing this customer-friendly policy is raising the prices for everyone else?

It's unreasonable to expect silver service with hamburgers, but you seem to have a sense of entitlement.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Has it occurred to you that Costco is abusing their position? One of the reasons I buy things there is I trust their purchasers to buy quality products and good values.

However, I think there is so much garbage put out with TV's they are having a hard time
keeping up. If I was a buyer, I would be looking at the feedback on returns to find out how well the stuff I bought is working.

You really think 330 dollars is cheap for a 27" monitor, that many say are supposed to be the best on the market, yet have junky power supplies, and an analog cable, and connection?

As for the TV, it's 110 dollars more then the Panasonic offered of the same size. That isn't cheap.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Fwiw that light sensor was doing its job perfectly, the stated goal was for power savings. This in a time when California is looking at laws on tv power consumption stupid as that sounds. Adding a dollar sensor likely endeared them to some politicians.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Turning the TV down to being black?

That would be typical Kalifornia solutions. Can't trust us with hot water, why trust us with really expensive electricity?

Something did happen, because the 'recycling tax' has been lowered to 8 dollars on most of this stuff, from 26, etc.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Lunar, I'm going to hop straight over the 40' screen and go straight after the "cervical concerns". Does that special cervix in your life know how you think about her?

Stereodude

Not really a
Has it occurred to you that abusing this customer-friendly policy is raising the prices for everyone else?
Costco doesn't care. They require all vendors who sell their products through them to accept returns (from Costco) for 2 years no questions asked.

LunarMist

Lunar, I'm going to hop straight over the 40' screen and go straight after the "cervical concerns". Does that special cervix in your life know how you think about her?

Increased Z (height) of the larger display may cause my neck to strain; C2 is the main concern. Removing the DVD recorder on which the 32-inch display sets would mitigate the situation to some degree, but the DVD must go anyway due to the greater weight of the larger display.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks Stereodude.

Didn't know for sure, but, all the costco employees I talk to encourage experimenting and returning if you have any questions.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Costco doesn't care. They require all vendors who sell their products through them to accept returns (from Costco) for 2 years no questions asked.

Then it's an extra cost that manufacturers have to build in. Bottom line is that the loss incurred from returned but working goods has to be passed on to customers.

Or in other words, manufacturers need to reserve their crappiest products for Costco in order to be able to maintain the necessarily high margin.

There is no free lunch, there are only consequences.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Oh, bull. The dollars are the bottom line. If you sell enough units, your profit soars, and the returns don't hurt your overall bottom line.

Costco sells tons of Samsung and Vizio products, and, most of their customers are happy with most of their products.

Otherwise, Samsung and Vizio wouldn't be selling their stuff through Costco, if they are loosing money, for such a long period of time. If you can produce large numbers of product, you can sell it at a reduced margin, and bank the dollars, not the percentage, ala oil companies.
Also, some products need to be moved, or they devalue. Costco is great for that, for big companies.

On the otherhand, one might argue that Panasonic is dumping some LED TV's cheap, that are pretty bad, at Costco, for a great price. If they fit what you want, probably a 10 bit screen, 720p, analog and HDMI inputs, with some screwy software, they are a great deal.

So, to go around one more time: Costco's return policy is vital, since, as some have pointed out, the worst products are dumped there, by companies, for little money.

Without that return policy, people wouldn't be tempted to try stuff that they would otherwise be totally screwed with, if they bought it somewhere else.

So, since I've been a Costco member, Premium, from 1993, and I spend a LOT of money there, I don't in the least feel like I'm screwing anyone when I return a product.

Their business is built on customer satisfaction, and, it works. I spend a huge amount of the money I earn there, since they provide great value in the stuff they offer.

If you spend 15 grand a year there, and you return a couple defective products, I don't feel real guilty, and, in the long run, they have a loyal customer.