The coming war on general computation presentation

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I linked this at work on yelp and I have gotten no comments at all. It impresses me just how many people don't care about this, sopa, protect IP et cetera. I read on Twitter this morning that the big providers out there like Google Yahoo etc. might put notices up on their sites one of these days soon like a lot of the smaller sites did recently.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I haven't watched the clip yet, just read a few summaries and quickly scanned the transcript.

The overall premise is correct... corporations don't want to support general purposes computing, they want to sell you an appliance that does 1 thing only (and poorly so you have to upgrade each year), rather than a generic tool that can accompolish many things. The media companies are on-board with this, as it restricts what can be done with the media you purchased, eg no ripping/transcoding, no moving of data to other devices (despite 99% of the time it's for you're own personal use).

However most people just don't care about some of the laws coming in, and the way that they restrict what a citizen can do. In many respects, all one has to do is think who the law is benefiting? And explain it from that perspective...

Stuff like the DCMA, SOPA, Protect IP are a joke as far as protecting the rights of the citizen of a nation... just glad I live on the other side of the world. ;-)

ddrueding

Fixture
Stuff like the DCMA, SOPA, Protect IP are a joke as far as protecting the rights of the citizen of a nation... just glad I live on the other side of the world. ;-)

Shame that won't protect you one bit. Once AMD is gone (and it looks like that will eventually happen), and Intel is the only player, one quick US law (or "understanding") and the one CPU manufacturer will include TPM in every CPU they ship. Now where are you?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
All this lawyer crap only makes me want to bust into the headquarters of a big tech company and the law firm they hire and massacre them all while laughing dementially. Good thing I don't own a machine gun.

I won't watch the video. It enrages me too much. This is New Year's eve and I prefer to think about something else.

Lawyers :hurl:cancer of our society.