The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

Handruin

Administrator
What's the deal in this picture with the steering wheel? I've seen two different steering wheels now. One completely round, the other with a flat bottom.

Also, I didn't realize the S4 had the seat extenders? The only car I've sat in which has had those was a 3 series BMW. Has that option always been in the car and I just didn't notice?

2012detroit-2013audis4-09-627x419.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
So much better looking, and more of a sleeper. Sigh.

I'm fairly certain all the S models here get a flat-bottomed steering wheel. I prefer it.

I would also love the seat extenders, but I hadn't heard about them.

I like the S4 Avant also. It's not coming here is it? A guy I work with has a much older one. I don't know if it's actually the Avant, but it's an S4 wagon (I just don't know if all S4 wagons are called Avants or not).

I like the flat-bottomed wheel also. I was surprised to see a picture without one. I'd also like the seat extenders. We both have longer legs and the extra seat support would be nice.

Handruin

Administrator
On the 2012 standard feature list there is an item which reads: Automatic light switch controlled by light sensor, “coming home” and “leaving home” functions. Does your current Audi have this coming home and leaving home feature? I found this description of the feature on their website. Seems neat.

Handruin

Administrator
Also, I reading more it looks like the side airbag option is just for the thorax air bags. Head curtain airbags come standard for front and rear. Besides the option cost...are there any or other cons to having the additional side thorax air bags in the rear?

ddrueding

Fixture
You can't really post too much information, can you? It is all relevant to a number of us who are planning on spending a stupid amount of money.

Both our cars have that, and it is programmable (intervals, etc) in the standard menu. Other neat options in there include whether to have the rear windshield wiper operate just once when you select reverse.

ddrueding

Fixture
According to this, the Allroad will be the only A4 wagon in the US, they will be pulling the standard Avant completely. Pussies.

So the decision for me is back to Allroad or S4...

Handruin

Administrator
You can't really post too much information, can you? It is all relevant to a number of us who are planning on spending a stupid amount of money.

Both our cars have that, and it is programmable (intervals, etc) in the standard menu. Other neat options in there include whether to have the rear windshield wiper operate just once when you select reverse.

That's neat about the rear window wiper. When my TL-S has the wipers on delay and I'm stopped at a light, as soon as I let of the brake, it'll wipe the windows no matter how long into the delay the wipers are. It's similar idea to the rear window wiper in your current Audi. It's little details like those that I enjoy.

The one small feature my TL-S has that I really appreciate is if I unlock my car using the key fob and then continue to hold the unlock button, it will roll down my windows and open the moon roof until I let go of the button. Does Audi have anything like that for a feature? If I want to roll up the windows or close the moon roof, I can't do it from the key fob, but if I put the key into the physical door lock and lock the car and hold, it'll roll up the windows.

Handruin

Administrator
The Allroad is looking good, I might go that way instead if I can get the power up enough without voiding the warranty.

What's the most defining difference between the Allroad and the Avant? Is the Allroad bigger or based off the A6 (or something else)?

Handruin

Administrator
According to this, the Allroad will be the only A4 wagon in the US, they will be pulling the standard Avant completely. Pussies.

Stereodude is going to have a shitload of posts to read through in the morning. haha

Anyway, what about the Audi Q3 that was just announced recently? Is that too much of a CUV/SUV compared to the Allroad or Avant? The article claims it has a 314-horsepower 2.5-liter five-cylinder TFSI engine in it. Is that some kind of derivative of one of the VW Jetta engines?

I didn't know you were considering an S4 for yourself! I know you spoke of the S5, but didn't think you wanted the 4-doors for some reason. If that happens, it'll be too bad we can't get a group buy discount. :-D

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
The one small feature my TL-S has that I really appreciate is if I unlock my car using the key fob and then continue to hold the unlock button, it will roll down my windows and open the moon roof until I let go of the button. Does Audi have anything like that for a feature? If I want to roll up the windows or close the moon roof, I can't do it from the key fob, but if I put the key into the physical door lock and lock the car and hold, it'll roll up the windows.

Just tried it and no, but there is a company that flashes Audis and gives you things like that and remote start. I might be interested in such things. I'd need to look them up again.

What's the most defining difference between the Allroad and the Avant? Is the Allroad bigger or based off the A6 (or something else)?

Based on the A4 Avant. Higher ground clearance, wider track, more aggressive body kit (incl. skid plate), higher standard features. Seems like a nice ride, really. Same 2.0T in the A4 with 211HP and 256Lbft and an 8-speed auto.

Stereodude is going to have a shitload of posts to read through in the morning. haha

Anyway, what about the Audi Q3 that was just announced recently? Is that too much of a CUV/SUV compared to the Allroad or Avant? The article claims it has a 314-horsepower 2.5-liter five-cylinder TFSI engine in it. Is that some kind of derivative of one of the VW Jetta engines?

That 2.5TFSI is the same as the RS3 and TTRS, it is an amazing engine. I didn't realize they were planning it for the Q3. But the Q3 is too much of an SUV for me, I prefer to be closer to the ground than that.

I didn't know you were considering an S4 for yourself! I know you spoke of the S5, but didn't think you wanted the 4-doors for some reason. If that happens, it'll be too bad we can't get a group buy discount. :-D

Yes, I am considering an S4. At this point it really matters what the pricing of the Allroad looks like. If it is already inching towards an S4 I would likely just go that way. I do have an awesome dealer here, and since you two are already picking features on your own, I don't see why it couldn't work. Hell, once we all pick what we want, just give each of our local dealers the ability to bid on the action and take all three sales.

Something tells me that even with three cars on the line we won't be seeing much below MSRP out the door on such high demand models, though.

ddrueding

Fixture
Oh, and I wasn't against 4 doors, I prefer 4 to 2, but I wanted a proper hatchback. The S5 is closer to it than the S4, but with that 4.2l V8 I think I'll pass.

Stereodude

Not really a
What's the deal in this picture with the steering wheel? I've seen two different steering wheels now. One completely round, the other with a flat bottom.
The car has a flat bottom wheel in EU-land. It's not entirely clear if the US is getting the flat bottom wheel or not.
Also, I didn't realize the S4 had the seat extenders? The only car I've sat in which has had those was a 3 series BMW. Has that option always been in the car and I just didn't notice?
I'm not sure myself. I wasn't aware it had them either.

Stereodude

Not really a
I like the S4 Avant also. It's not coming here is it? A guy I work with has a much older one. I don't know if it's actually the Avant, but it's an S4 wagon (I just don't know if all S4 wagons are called Avants or not).
Avant = wagon. Unfortunately the Avant was dropped in the US with the B8 S4 in 2010. If it were still offered I'd get one.

Stereodude

Not really a
Also, I reading more it looks like the side airbag option is just for the thorax air bags. Head curtain airbags come standard for front and rear. Besides the option cost...are there any or other cons to having the additional side thorax air bags in the rear?
I'm not sure myself if there are any pros or cons. I plan to dig into this specific question myself before ordering.

The Allroad looks sharp. But, I'd take the S4 with the 6MT over an 8 speed automatic all day long and twice on Sunday. Audi has systematically dropped the Avants because they hardly sell in the US. US car buyers just don't buy wagons.
Audi/VW's have the ability to do this from the remote. You will need to do a VAG-COM mod to enable it though. I think it can also be set to put the windows up and close the sunroof by pressing and holding the lock button on the remote as well. I believe the sunroof can be omitted from the feature as well if you don't want it to open/close by remote.
The Allroad is A4 based this time. Last time it was A6 based. The biggest different is about 3cm of extra lift in the suspension giving more ground clearance.
Yes, I noticed. :p
The turbo 2.5L is a detuned version of the 2.5L monster in the TT-RS and S3. It really has nothing in common with the 2.5L in the Jetta other than displacement. I would not expect to see it in a production version of the Q3 regardless of what some of the automotive press is reporting. Audi is likely to keep that engine all to itself.
Just tried it and no, but there is a company that flashes Audis and gives you things like that and remote start. I might be interested in such things. I'd need to look them up again.
Ross-Tech sells a product so you can DIY changes to the car's behavior. Remote start is out of the question on most models though (especially if you have a 6MT).
Yes, I am considering an S4. At this point it really matters what the pricing of the Allroad looks like. If it is already inching towards an S4 I would likely just go that way. I do have an awesome dealer here, and since you two are already picking features on your own, I don't see why it couldn't work. Hell, once we all pick what we want, just give each of our local dealers the ability to bid on the action and take all three sales.

Something tells me that even with three cars on the line we won't be seeing much below MSRP out the door on such high demand models, though.
That might only benefit the person who was local to the dealer. Having to pay out of state sales tax and shipping (or a one way flight and driving back) would likely kill most of the savings for the other two. In addition, dealers don't get much allocation for the S4 so they wouldn't likely be able to order 3 at the same time and they wouldn't probably want to eat up 3 of their S4 allocation slots anyhow.

I ran the numbers on buying a 2012 S4 out of state at the cheapest dealer I could find (about $500 over invoice) and didn't find hardly any advantage if I could get a local guy down to about $1500 below MSRP (roughly $1500 over invoice). The savings get eaten up in the higher sales tax (7% in NJ in my example vs. 6% in MI), and shipping (or gas on the way back + one way air fare). Not to mention ultimately you will get better treatment at your local dealer if you buy the car there. IMHO, for a few hundred dollars net savings it just isn't worth the hassle and the potential pitfalls.
Oh, and I wasn't against 4 doors, I prefer 4 to 2, but I wanted a proper hatchback. The S5 is closer to it than the S4, but with that 4.2l V8 I think I'll pass.
Unless I missed something, doesn't the S5 lose the V8 and get the Supercharged "3.0T" for 2013?

Stereodude

Not really a
Besides the option cost...are there any or other cons to having the additional side thorax air bags in the rear?
FWIW, apparently the general consensus is that it is not recommended if you have small children since they could be injured if they're not sitting properly when it goes off. Since kids tend to fall asleep in odd positions you can't guarantee they'll always be sitting properly. Some people also believe it's will cause issues with child seats (assuming you're not using a single child seat in the middle).

Stereodude

Not really a
It looks like the US 2013 facelifted S4 doesn't come with the flat bottom steering wheel they get in Europe.

From the unveiling at the NAIAS in Detroit:

Courtesy of Motor Trend

Handruin

Administrator
It looks like the US 2013 facelifted S4 doesn't come with the flat bottom steering wheel they get in Europe.

From the unveiling at the NAIAS in Detroit:

Courtesy of Motor Trend

Oh well. It's no deal breaker but I did like the flat bottom. When did you hear the 2013 will be on sale? Was it something around the end of this month the 2012s will no longer be ordered?

Handruin

Administrator
FWIW, apparently the general consensus is that it is not recommended if you have small children since they could be injured if they're not sitting properly when it goes off. Since kids tend to fall asleep in odd positions you can't guarantee they'll always be sitting properly. Some people also believe it's will cause issues with child seats (assuming you're not using a single child seat in the middle).

That's good info. I'll probably pass on those air bags then. It still comes with the side curtain air bags which is good.

Stereodude

Not really a
Oh well. It's no deal breaker but I did like the flat bottom.
Well, you will be able to buy a flat bottom steering wheel from Europe for a facelift B8 and install it yourself if you really want one. However the price I was told by a vendor on Audizine was just short of $1k for a red stitched wheel without airbag or paddles. :crap:
When did you hear the 2013 will be on sale? Was it something around the end of this month the 2012s will no longer be ordered?
The material Audi provided to their US dealers says the retail date (cars at dealers) is early summer 2012. As far as when they can be ordered will be 3-4 months before they arrive on lots. The local dealer I've been talking to tells me that's probably late February ordering with a May-June delivery, but they're guessing some.

fb

Storage is cool
Haven't they dropped the flat bottomed steering wheels here to? I think it's an option at the moment but I don't know if that's for the 2012's only.

Stereodude

Not really a
Haven't they dropped the flat bottomed steering wheels here to? I think it's an option at the moment but I don't know if that's for the 2012's only.
They just brought back the flat bottom wheels on the S4 in Europe with the facelift. Previously there wasn't a flat bottom wheel offered in the S4 (but was in some other Audis).

Handruin

Administrator
I've been reading through forums at audizine and audiworld and I see your name popping up all over in the threads I've been reading with questions and comments. :cool: Did you already order some Forgestar wheels? ;-) I saw some of the prices and they're not cheap.

Handruin

Administrator
Well, you will be able to buy a flat bottom steering wheel from Europe for a facelift B8 and install it yourself if you really want one. However the price I was told by a vendor on Audizine was just short of $1k for a red stitched wheel without airbag or paddles. :crap:
The material Audi provided to their US dealers says the retail date (cars at dealers) is early summer 2012. As far as when they can be ordered will be 3-4 months before they arrive on lots. The local dealer I've been talking to tells me that's probably late February ordering with a May-June delivery, but they're guessing some.

Are you confident enough with your decision that you'll order one without test driving it first? I know not much is changing mechanically, but what if you hate the electric steering or the MMI changes?

Stereodude

Not really a
Did you already order some Forgestar wheels? ;-) I saw some of the prices and they're not cheap.
No, I most certainly did not. I just wanted to know how much they were.
Are you confident enough with your decision that you'll order one without test driving it first? I know not much is changing mechanically, but what if you hate the electric steering or the MMI changes?
Yes, I'd be willing to order a 2013 without test driving it first. The few reviews so far don't note the electronic power steering as being much of a change (for good or bad) from the driving dynamics side. And, I don't really see the MMI change as being significant in a good or bad way.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My 01 Jetta would open all windows and moonroof by holding down the fob unlock button. I'm not sure about buttoning up by fob but at least you could do it by key like the Acura. I would be surprised if Audi didn't have this feature.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just for this test I put the key in the door for the first time. Hold it in the unlock position and it opens all the windows and cracks the sunroof. Hold it in lock and it closes everything and sets the alarm. Neat.

Stereodude

Not really a
Just for this test I put the key in the door for the first time. Hold it in the unlock position and it opens all the windows and cracks the sunroof. Hold it in lock and it closes everything and sets the alarm. Neat.
My Nissan would raise and lower the two front windows like that, but not the rear windows or the sunroof.

Did you try the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob?

Handruin

Administrator
I've spent some time reading through the threads related to carbon buildup in Audis and I have to say, it looks pretty bad (at least some of the pictures people posted looked really bad). Some reporting significant buildup in 10-20K miles?! I'm assuming you've read through those threads. Does any of that concern you? ddrueding, has this been a problem for your Audi at all or have you even noticed any degradation in performance?

ddrueding

Fixture
No degradation in performance, no issues to speak of. My cars still get serviced at the dealer, so maybe they are just dealing with it?