The storageforum Audi S4 Thread

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The S4 is avilable here now; about $82.4k at today's exchange rates. 3.0L supercharged V6 with 7-speed DSG.

It is not clear if that includes road tax or not (probably not). Over here lifetime road tax is payable upon registration, which varies from 8 to 20% depending on the state in which the vehicle is purchased.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. I don't know how long I'd have to pay tax and registration for it to equal 20% of the purchase price.

Currently it is a toss-up between an S7 (not the Saleen) and Model S. Still have about 2 years to decide.

Handruin

Administrator
This is interesting. In the model refresh year Audi submitted the 2013 S4 for a highway safety test and it is now a 5-star rating over the 2012 and earlier. I'm impressed that they made changes for safety in a minor refresh year and that these haven't had any attention until now. No word yet on the frontal crash overlap test from IIHS.

zc5cj.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
So I "talked" another friend into buying a S4. He's ordered a 6MT Prestige with pretty much all the options. I should be getting commissions from Audi...

I got my 5k mile oil change today as well as the electronic power steering recall done.

I didn't know about the power steering service bulletin when I went in for mine. I'll have to get it done later. I didn't think it was a recall?

Stereodude

Not really a
I didn't know about the power steering service bulletin when I went in for mine. I'll have to get it done later. I didn't think it was a recall?
I'm not sure. I saw mention of a Google maps and headlight update online as well. The steering wheel still has the dead notch even after the update.

Stereodude

Not really a
So my S4 is now at a local body shop so it can be repaired. :(

The car was "shotgunned" with debris from a very close proximity car accident back in mid December. Lots of scratches, nicks, and gouges in the paint. Even a few chips down to bare metal. :cursin: The entire drivers side of the car took damage as well as the rear. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the ability of the shop to match the Estoril Blue Crystal paint. But, the dealer recommended them, they have good ratings / reviews, and they were quite meticulous in examining the car for damage.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow, how close do you have to be to an accident to take shotgun damage?
Pretty close.

The vehicle 2 cars behind me decided he couldn't stop on freeway after slowing some, swerved to the adjacent lane directly in front of a semi still going the speed limit. The semi hit the car, it spun, scraped the guy behind me and got pushed by me on the front of the semi before spinning off the front of the semi to the side and rolling rear end first slightly backward across the freeway (several more lanes) into the concrete median. When I pulled over my car was covered with glass and plastic debris as well as dirt. I heard a lot of debris hit the side of my car too. So basically, the pair went by me in the adjacent lane as debris was flying off them.

Stereodude

Not really a
For the most part it seems okay so far, but it wasn't sunny out today so I can't really see the paint match all that well yet. So far I haven't noticed any obvious problem on that front.

I did find that the plastic trunk hinge covers were not fastened properly. And, as expected there are swirl marks in the new paint from their buffing it that will need to be polished out. They also did not replace the clear bra behind the rear wheels, but did replace the piece by the trunk opening.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Can't you guys say something provocative to make Handy come back? Still feel like a limb or eye is missing since he's not around.

Handruin

Administrator
For the most part it seems okay so far, but it wasn't sunny out today so I can't really see the paint match all that well yet. So far I haven't noticed any obvious problem on that front.

I did find that the plastic trunk hinge covers were not fastened properly. And, as expected there are swirl marks in the new paint from their buffing it that will need to be polished out. They also did not replace the clear bra behind the rear wheels, but did replace the piece by the trunk opening.

Sorry to hear of the damage. That's no fun on a new car. I'm glad you weren't injured from any of what happened.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think that will work. Merc could reach out and apologize though.

For what? He didn't abuse Handy or criticize him.

When Handy wants to be back he'll be back. He knows we miss him, but every decade or so someone might need some space ;)

I appreciate the sentiment but I do not need an apology for anything and I did not request one. I decided to take a vacation for a little while from posting while I collected my thoughts and put back in place the values that I desire. Hopefully I can contribute value in some way by continuing to post from this point forward.

Handruin

Administrator
I decided to add the following mods to the car.

AWE Exhaust with OEM downpipes quad tip in silver
H&R OE Sport springs (1.2" drop and marginally stiffer)
Morr VS8.2 19x9 ET41 Wheels in silver, hand brushed, and clear coated with Michelin pilot super sport tires 255/35/19
I wanted 19x8.5 ET35 but they are back ordered for months...19x9 ET41 should be the same flush as those.

AWE Exhaust and Springs should be here soon; maybe early next week. Wheels and tires probably in 6 weeks as they're being built then sent to TAG motorsports for mounting and balancing. Flame away if desired but that's what I wanted all along so I did it. If curious I'll post pics when it's done. It needs a good bath.

Handruin

Administrator
I know Stereodude already saw my wintertime fun, but others can either enjoy or poke fun at my child-like tendencies to be silly with doing donuts in an empty parking lot full of light snow:

[video=youtube_share;jlzlLWPfM9M]http://youtu.be/jlzlLWPfM9M[/video]

[video=youtube_share;O43tCY0FEhE]http://youtu.be/O43tCY0FEhE[/video]

Handruin

Administrator
Nice! By the third video you were able to catch and hold it a couple times. That is always great fun.

I was still learning so it took me a bit to get a feel for it. It was fun to spin around and it felt faster than it looked in the videos.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was still learning so it took me a bit to get a feel for it. It was fun to spin around and it felt faster than it looked in the videos.

I can relate. I take my car out to our quarry probably once a month for some fun. Really hard-packed earth with 1/2" of dust on top; super-slick when the water trucks aren't running. I've been able to balance it with full opposite lock on throttle, but the exit is still darn scary.

Handruin

Administrator
I can relate. I take my car out to our quarry probably once a month for some fun. Really hard-packed earth with 1/2" of dust on top; super-slick when the water trucks aren't running. I've been able to balance it with full opposite lock on throttle, but the exit is still darn scary.

We have tons of snow fallen today. If I feel up to it a little later tonight I might try to go practice again. :)

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't have any large quasi-secluded open areas for donuts nearby. So, I'm left with hooning around the corners in the subdivision on the fresh powder. I'm not sure my neighbors are impressed, but I have a good time. It got a little out of hand last time, and I made the decision to return home in fairly short order.

ddrueding

Fixture
It is remarkable how much distance is required to recover sometimes...I don't think I would be as bold if I didn't have 5+ acres of flat to fool around in.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I know Stereodude already saw my wintertime fun, but others can either enjoy or poke fun at my child-like tendencies to be silly with doing donuts in an empty parking lot full of light snow:
Ok, so next time we want to thank you for hosting the forum, you prefer a set of tires to a brand new computer, correct?

Handruin

Administrator
Ok, so next time we want to thank you for hosting the forum, you prefer a set of tires to a brand new computer, correct?

They're roughly the safe in terms of cost. The ground was wet and slippery enough that it wasn't too detrimental to the life of the tread. Ill have a set of summer tires to switch to soon to share the wear and tear over the year.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, saw that this morning. Shame my wife still thinks the S7 and A7 are ugly. And that they don't sell the S6 Avant in this country.

Stereodude

Not really a
That bit is pretty funny.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of the A7 / S7's looks myself. The RS6 on the other hand is killer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know nothing of Audis but I thought it was pretty funny that they slipped in a lens flare in almost every scene with New Spock. And used the theme from "Galaxy Quest."

Handruin

Administrator
Meh I didnt think it was worthy of mention. I changed my car because of a new commute. Driving stick in traffic was less enjoyable.

Stereodude

Not really a
Meh I didnt think it was worthy of mention. I changed my car because of a new commute. Driving stick in traffic was less enjoyable.
A brand new 2015 S4 isn't worthy of a mention in the S4 thread? Nonsense!!! Too bad about your 6MT. Hopefully the dealer didn't take you to the cleaners too badly.

Handruin

Administrator
I figured a change like this on a new car wouldn't really spawn a positive discussion so I wasn't going to mention it.

Maybe down the road if things are different I'll go back to a manual assuming they're still around. The more miles I put on the DSG the more I appreciate how well they implemented a dual clutch. I decided to have expel put on the car this time which I regretted not doing on the other one.