Toshiba 512GB SSD-mid09...cost? :D

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Not exactly as much vaporware as Samsung...but how much will this cost? $2k??? Once again, pushing the limits of SATA 3Gb/s standard, will definitely need 6Gb/s standard next year. (btw, Samy's announcements always have the young thangs...what's with Japanese marketing dept these days, I thought they had a nice culture of exploiting women :p ).

http://gizmodo.com/5112895/toshiba-512gb-solid-state-drive-come-to-papa

showcased at International CES 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada from January 8 – 11, 2009. In addition to the 2.5-inch, 512GB drive, the 43nm NAND SSD family also includes capacities of 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB, offered in 1.8-inch or 2.5-inch drive enclosures or as SSD Flash Modules. Samples of the new drives will be available in the first quarter (January to March) of 2009, with mass production in the second (April to June) quarter.
Toshiba's second-generation SSDs bring increased capacity and performance for notebook computers. They utilize an advanced MLC controller, which is also compatible with further advanced processes, that achieves higher read/write speeds, parallel data transfers and wear leveling to optimize performance, reliability and endurance. The drives enable improved system responsiveness with a maximum sequential read speed of 240MB per second (MBps)2 and maximum sequential write speed of 200MBps enabling an improvement in overall computing experience, and faster boot and application loading times. The drives also offer AES data encryption to prevent unauthorized data access.
"The solid state drive market is evolving rapidly, with higher performance drives to meet market requirements, and differentiated product families targeted for appropriate applications," said Mr. Kiyoshi Kobayashi, Vice President of Toshiba Corporation's Semiconductor Company. "This new 43nm SSD family balances value/performance characteristics for its targeted consumer applications, through use of MLC NAND and an advanced controller architecture."
Toshiba and many market analysts expect SSDs to begin to gain significant traction in the market in 2009, growing to approximately 10% of the notebook market by 2010, and 25% of the notebook market by 2012. Toshiba expects the value/performance of its MLC NAND-based SSD line-up to help speed the acceptance of solid state storage.
Hmm, if they can come up with a 1TB SSD by the end of 2010, I would think 25% by 2012 is conservative.

...now LM can start the 'where are the 1TB SSDs?' thread :D

ddrueding

Fixture
Sweet. I expect to see SSDs as 90%+ of the laptop market by end of next year. They won't all be speed demons (I expect to see a lot of slow, mid-sized SSDs), but they will be there. The advantages and availability are already there.

ddrueding

Fixture
Not 90% next year.

What is in their way? What is the average size of drive in a laptop? 160GB? 200? How fast is it? 60MB/s? Less? Cost? SSDs should cost less at the volume required. The most reasonable cause is lack of production capacity, but I can't really speak to that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of the laptops sold are $500 vomitbook models and el cheapo business fleet systems. Those machines won't be moving to SSDs until Acer and HP and Dell and the other purveyors of vomit have removed the last of their shitty 4200rpm 80, 100 and 160GB drives, let alone whatever other standard hard disks they might have sitting around.

I'm betting it'll be 2010 before there's any widespread adoption of SSDs in notebooks.

ddrueding

Fixture
My $250 vomitbook already has an SSD in it (slowest ever, but whatever). Do you really think that they are holding that kind of inventory?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My $250 vomitbook already has an SSD in it (slowest ever, but whatever). Do you really think that they are holding that kind of inventory?

I think that even if they aren't, Hitachi, Fujitsu, WD and Seagate probably are, and I'll bet there will be some sweet, sweet discounts to make sure that their inventory is run out, too.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
FWIW, Dell seems to have just one model using a 4200 RPM drive, and it's really a large netbook more than a true laptop. Their smaller (the Mini 9) is SSD and most everything else is 5400 in the mainstream lineup. 7200s and SSDs are available in the higher-end Latitudes.

When I speced my D830 last year I was tempted to get the SSD but at the time only a 64GB unit was available and I knew I'd need more space. At the moment I'm using about 80GB of the 120 on the 7200 RPM drive. Oh, and the $700 or so SSD price premium might have drawn attention from our Operations head. Even today the 64GB SSD is $524 more than the 120GB 7200 RPM drive. That price delta will have to evaporate for SSDs to take off in the business market, especially when companies are pinching pennies.

ddrueding

Fixture
I suspect that SSDs will go directly from a serious premium to a "free" upgrade. Dell tends to do that when they can get away with it.