Trinity unveiled

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So these are faster than the usual AMD sluggards, but probably not in the i7 mobile league?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I disagree. Very few people have a compelling need for the full performance advantages that an i5/i7 may offer in specific tasks or applications.

If vendors price their wares appropriately, this could be a very compelling/recommendable platform for a very large segment of the user demographic. Granted, that's a big if, and I somehow doubt the pricing will be in line with value. Regardless, I suspect the Trinity platform will be quite successful (sales) nonetheless, similar as to its predecessor Llano was.

(Well perhaps its still too early to tell but) Its nice to see AMD actually execute fairly well on something. I'll be interested to see what comes next in the future when they actually have a die shrink.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'll be interested to see what comes next in the future when they actually have a die shrink.
I skimmed through this article but read over the last page. The part that I really found interesting and see some potential in is this:

The Real Shortcomings: Branch Misprediction Penalty and Instruction Cache Hit Rate
Bulldozer is a deeply pipelined CPU, just like Sandy Bridge, but the latter has a µop cache that can cut the fetching and decoding cycles out of the branch misprediction penalty. The lower than expected performance in SAP and SQL Server, plus the fact that the worst performing subbenches in SPEC CPU2006 int are the ones with hard to predict branches, all points to there being a serious problem with branch misprediction.
Our Code Analyst profiling shows that AMD engineers did a good job on the branch prediction unit: the BPU definitely predicts better than the previous AMD designs. The problem is that Bulldozer cannot hide its long misprediction penalty, which Intel does manage with Sandy Bridge. That also explains why AMD states that branch prediction improvements in "Piledriver" ("Trinity") are only modest (1% performance improvements). As branch predictors get more advanced, a few tweaks here and there cannot do much.
It will be interesting to see if AMD will adopt a µop cache in the near future, as it would lower the branch prediction penalty, save power, and lower the pressure on the decoding part. It looks like a perfect match for this architecture.
I have a funny feeling that the next AMD release is going to make a big leap forward and be a surprise to a lot of people ... but we shall see ... (they'll probably go bankrupt and make a fool out of me and my predictions yet again -- curses!!!)