question Truecrypt

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Something doesn't smell right, but since there are other platforms available migration shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I personally would like to know how TrueCrypt is not secure?

PS. The link is malformed...

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Sorry, having trouble editing. OK, that post worked. When I posted just one of the quotes originally, it said I needed to enter at least 1 character. Strange.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It looks to me like the coded message is that
1. The NSA made us change our code so they could decrypt it. We complied and then stopped all our work.
2. They told us not to say anything about that
3. We also know that every other OSS encryption product has been back doored
4. We think Bitlocker may still actually be secure

Mercutio

It was OSS, but the principle devs were supposedly anonymous even to each other. The chain of trust has been compromised at this point, so it really doesn't matter.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So what do you use for the whole disk? I don't care if the governmento can decode it, but I want some peace of mind if the FedEx doesn't arrive or the United loses the luggage.

ddrueding

Fixture
So what do you use for the whole disk? I don't care if the governmento can decode it, but I want some peace of mind if the FedEx doesn't arrive or the United loses the luggage.

I'd bet that one version back of TrueCrypt will be good enough for non-governmental stuff for a number of years yet.

ddrueding

Fixture
The things I wouldn't care if the government could decrypt would be the stuff they already have or would only be beneficial from a commercial standpoint:

1. Bank data
2. General records
3. Common data mining stuff
4. Trade Secrets
5. Company data

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

When I mouse over that link it shows the correct site. But....

The link itself is AFU. The actual link is "http://http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/" which is bad.

I guess we can put a fork in another "security" product.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What Merc said.

What DD said in his last 2 posts. I too have nothing to hide, and lead a simple colorless life. I'm only concerned about hackers / physical theft. What I encrypt are my financial records, address books and pics.

I'm on 7.1a. I'll just stay on it till I have to upgrade the OS from W7, and decide at that time what to do.

LunarMist

When I mouse over that link it shows the correct site. But....

The link itself is AFU. The actual link is "http://http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/" which is bad.

I guess we can put a fork in another "security" product.

Yeah, I sometimes have a linking problem. :)

LunarMist

Well, I'm still using her, but mostly for shipping, travel and storage.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm still suggesting TrueCrypt to clients. Interesting security step one of them added was to hard mount the UPS so that the tower would have to lose power when stolen. Theoretically they could hang out in the office, but the alarm and guard would discourage that.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm still using Truecrypt. It works on W10 as well. I've heard that VeraCrypt, based on the Truecrypt code base, is also good. I'm staying with Truecrypt for now since I have some volumes encrypted with it, I'm not doing anything fancy with it (like boot drive encryption), and it meets my needs quite well.

Mercutio

If you're on a Windows machine, you have EFS and Bitlocker available to you. Yes, there's something to be said for having a OSS package rather than trusting Microsoft's stack, but it's right there for you to use and if nothing else it's probably strong enough to prevent intrusion from anything short of a national government.

LunarMist

If you're on a Windows machine, you have EFS and Bitlocker available to you. Yes, there's something to be said for having a OSS package rather than trusting Microsoft's stack, but it's right there for you to use and if nothing else it's probably strong enough to prevent intrusion from anything short of a national government.

I'm not familiar with those. Who makes them and are they usable on Windows 7?

Mercutio

Bitlocker is a standard feature of Windows Professional editions as of Windows 8 and one of the most compelling reasons to consider Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise edition for a power user. I don't remember what Lunar uses, but it's clearly not out of reach for him to have it.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I tried the VeraCrypt, but it won't open the TC files. :(
Veracrypt uses the TC code and so is supposed to be compatible. I suggest you folow DD's link, download TC from there, and use TC. If you're familiar with TC, why bother with anything else for now.

LunarMist

Veracrypt uses the TC code and so is supposed to be compatible. I suggest you folow DD's link, download TC from there, and use TC. If you're familiar with TC, why bother with anything else for now.

I understand that the VC files would not be compatible with TC. I thought that VC would at least open the TC files, but it doesn't. :(
Why would I download that TC, is it different from the 7.1a from 4 years ago?

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. 7.1a is the same as 7.1a. The assumption was that you didn't have it installed and that is why you were asking. It you already have TC 7.1a, there is no reason to believe that any other product out there is more secure.

LunarMist

I've used it before, but not installed. I thought the point was USB and then in the structure to avoid Chinese, Malaysians, Norwegians, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
Truecrypt does support a mode where you could plausibly deny there was any hidden data at all. I'm grateful I don't need to worry about that one. The main mode is just making a bunch of stuff completely inaccessible to anyone without the password. Of course, with the internet and VPNs being what they are, I'd be far more likely to transmit data to a safe place than carry it on my person.

LunarMist

I have no means of transmitting and storing many TB of personal data elsewhere.

LunarMist

It's a good thing that's not the only way to move data over a distance. There are external drives and you can take them with you when you leave the house, assuming you're allowed to leave your house.

Of course I can transport data, just not transmit it as DD suggests.
I should leave some drives in the US, though I'm not sure where.

Stereodude

Not really a
Of course I can transport data, just not transmit it as DD suggests.
I should leave some drives in the US, though I'm not sure where.
You're right. That sounds like an insurmountable problem. Best to keep all your eggs in one basket.

LunarMist

You're right. That sounds like an insurmountable problem. Best to keep all your eggs in one basket.

My eggs are in several baskets, but they need to move to other baskets. It's a long story and not for this thread.