Tuning 2003 server for workstation use

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
MS should have released Win2003 as an interim product between XP and Vistsa (priced at XP levels). I would have bought that instead of XP. Grrrrrrrrr.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm with Mercutio on this one. 2003 automates tasks that used to be a big hassle in XP, like setting up an internet connection, etc.
Pretty amazing OS.
Greg

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Does anyone know how to trick Adobe Audition 2 into installing on Server 2003 ???

Changing the .exe's compatibility mode to any of the available choices does not work.

audition.gif

Groltz

Groltz said:
Does anyone know how to trick Adobe Audition 2 into installing on Server 2003 ???

Nevermind, I figured out how to do it myself.

Thanks for ignoring my help plea, as usual.

Groltz

A very good audio file editor.

I use is it for making alterations to .wav files before burning them to CD.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Groltz said:
Nevermind, I figured out how to do it myself.

Thanks for ignoring my help plea, as usual.
How did you do it? I had some statistical software a while back (SPSS) that refused to install on Server 2003.

Groltz

Seen? Yes

Wanted to use it? No

Seemed pointless to me. Server 2003 can have Sytem Restore grafted into it by better means.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm having problems getting the ATI driver to work. I've tried both the "full" and "driver only" versions, and I've turned up the acceleration to full. I have DX9.0c and my display settings are 1280x1024x32.

When I try to run Rise of Nations it says it won't run in 256-color mode(!)

When I install ATITool it doesn't select my video card

Server 2003 Web Edition with all updates
Same hardware as sig

TIA

ddrueding

Fixture
The fact that I encounter issues in ATITool and RoN makes me think it's an issue with the driver install and not the game. I'll try the Omegas now.

ddrueding

Fixture
BF2 Works fine....looks like it is a RoN issue. I bought the "Gold Edition" today; it includes the expansion pack, and is updated to the point where all the new updates can only be downloaded from inside the game...kinda useless for me.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm loading up Server 2003 in a test box as we speak. When I'm done with this install, I'll give the convert program a try.

Bozo :joker:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The convert program informed me that with the Corp Key I was using, there could be problems. I went ahead anyway.
There are lots of choices in the program as to how much you want Server to look and act like XP. I selected them all. When I rebooted, I got the XP welcome screen but that was all. I could not log in. I was warned :crap:

I don't have a single license key to try.

You can run the program and see what all is changed but nothing will be changed until the end. Then you can quit if you like with no changes being made.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bozo
What Corp Key? MSFT's? The guys that wrote the software?
????

Greg

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It was the Corp key I used to install Server 2003. (Volume Licensing Key).

There is no 'key' to use the convert program.

I ran the convert program and elected to have it change everything to XP. When I rebooted, I got a warning box that said something like 'xp could not authenticate the key'. Then I could not log in. But, the convert program did warn me before I elected to make any changes.

I'm trying to locate a different 2003 key now.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The program works! I installed Server 2003 + SP2(beta). Added video drivers, network addresses, and basically set it up like I normally would.
Then I ran the Convert program. Selected to change Server to Workstation then selected a few other options. I let the program run and when it finished I was presented with the XP log in screen.
I was fresh out of Doom or Quake to try and load (I'm at work), but I did install O&O Pro v8.0 and Acronis V9.0 Home. Both programs loaded and seem to work fine.
So far, so good.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Awesome!!!
Keep me posted on what you think of this one. Anyway you can see if games load on it.?

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HI
I just installed on my gaming box, and, it I'm installing a bunch of games I haven't been able to run, or figure out, on 2003, with no problems now. The install was a bit different, but, I'm up and going well.

Sincerely

Greg

Thanks for the suggestions.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi All
How long do you think it's going to be viable to run 2003 Server as a desktop? How long before MSFT makes it obselete? I'm not real enthused about moving to Vista, and, with 5 licenses, it's probably all I'll ever need.

I've also got a couple copies of 2000 Pro around, but, probably, not for long...

With that add on program, I'm not giving anything away to XP, and, it sure seems to work great on my gaming box.

Greg

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
How long do you think it's going to be viable to run 2003 Server as a desktop? How long before MSFT makes it obselete?

Obsolete or unsupported? Isn't Microsoft's support lifecycle still 7 years? I believe so. So, in that case, some specific day in 2010 would be the day that Win2K3 becomes "unsupported."

But, there's no reason that you can't continue to keep running Win2K3 after that. I can still legitimately use Windows NT 4.0 if I need to. However, there has long since been no Win NT 4.0 support from Microsoft.

I'm not real enthused about moving to Vista, and, with 5 licenses, it's probably all I'll ever need.

So, I take it that you have a 5-user license for Windows 2003 Server, or do you actually have 5 individual Windows 2003 Server licenses? If it's the former, then you have one license to install Win2K3 on a single system -- not five different systems.

ddrueding

Fixture
So, I take it that you have a 5-user license for Windows 2003 Server, or do you actually have 5 individual Windows 2003 Server licenses? If it's the former, then you have one license to install Win2K3 on a single system -- not five different systems.

It's a licence that allows 5 different installations/activations of Server 2003.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bumping this. Thinking about installing 2003 on Supermicro Dual Xeon.

Since my video card was gone, I was using the 3000+ Athlon, and, with server 2003 with the patch program to XP, it seems faster, OS wise, then my duals.

Got so far as seeing if my SCA box showed up, when using the install, and it did. Did get me wondering if I should use the newer LSI driver, or the older Windows driver, since, IIRC, the LSI driver was for XP.
Also, trying to think of all the things I've got loaded, that I need to back up.

Was considering a wipe, and reformat for Server.

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, having a really fun time trying to configure my printers as network printers on 2003 Server.

I get a message "Remote Connections to the Printer Spooler are blocked by your permission settings" everytime I try and share a printer.

Can't figure out how to change it...

Greg
PS
Looks like I can't setup 2003 Web as a print Server, either.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
2003 Web Edition works just fine as a print server, Greg.
Sounds like someone has been playing with Security Templates or Group Policy or maybe has File and Printer Sharing blocked by a Firewall program.

You aren't using Norton Internet Security or something, are you?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
No, nothing like that, and, I've checked the permissions you are talking about in the Firewall settings, the administrator settings, everything I can find in help.

Finally got this computer to detect it on the net, now have to see if I can get my laptop to see it.

Don't get why I can't get the printer to be shared, when connected to a USB port, on the server 2003 box.

Worked when just connected to the hub, by cable.

Also, really need to read the manual on setting the printer up for network function. Samsung's don't seem to be the easiest thing in the world to set up for network use...

Part of the problem was the Samsung manual was 233 pages long, and, took a half hour to finally get it to download properly, and, be able to read it.

It would freeze up both IE 6 and Firefox.

Also, the Sync software provided by Samsung isn't easy, at least for me, to setup.

GS

Mercutio

Oh. I see now. You're trying to share a printer that's connected to your network in another way.

You're just doing it wrong.

You need to go to printers, add a printer, local printer (do not detect), new port, TCP/IP port (note: give the printer a fixed address!), type in its IP address, then find the appropriate driver.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Oh. I see now. You're trying to share a printer that's connected to your network in another way.

You're just doing it wrong.

You need to go to printers, add a printer, local printer (do not detect), new port, TCP/IP port (note: give the printer a fixed address!), type in its IP address, then find the appropriate driver.

You got it.!;-) Worked on all machines. The entering the IP address on the Samsung isn't exactly one of it's strong points...

GREG

ddrueding

Fixture
Entering IP addresses on printers always sucks. Typically I print the config page which gives the DHCP address, then I connect to that using a browser and change it there.

The MFC devices are easier because they have a number pad.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Good idea. Setup my router like that, but, too late for the printers...
Thanks anyway, David.

Speaking of which, I was wondering about installing 2003 Server on my laptop. Problem is, I can't find the drivers for it, except on the restore CD Panasonic provides, and, when I installed 2003 Server on it last time, it worked, but, did not have the drivers for the laptop ethernet card, etc.

Wonder if I could install 2003 over the now working XP install, or would it delete the drivers in the process?

Greg

Mercutio

It wouldn't delete the drivers, but it wouldn't help much, either.
You could use a program like Driver Collector to snag the files you need from a working Windows install.

If that works. And it often doesn't.

You really just need to know the generic names of your video, Wireless, modem, NIC, sound and maybe system chipset. Belarc Advisor may help with that. If you know that your NIC is a Realtek 8139, it's easy enough to dig that driver up where ever.