TV programs you like?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Sherlock"?
I'm half way through season 2 number 1, and it's quite good.
All I could find for first season where three shows.

This is a British TV show. The internet is a wonderful place.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just got turned on to "Adventure Time", which reminds me of playing with action figures by way of Candyland by way of Dungeons and Dragons by way of Gamma World. It's weird in a way I really like.

I can't remember if I've mentioned "Archer" before, but the season 2 DVD set came out last week. Archer is got-dammed hilarious, and it got even better in Season 2.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Archer looks good, will check it out.

Have been watching Venture Brothers, sounds somewhat similar?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I don't really like Adventure Time or any of those crazy animated shows. It seems like the people making them are high all the time and you have to be high to watch them. I'm not a big fan of the stoner movies either.

I've had Archer recommended to me before.

Mercutio

Archer looks good, will check it out.

Have been watching Venture Brothers, sounds somewhat similar?

Venture Bros. is a take off on a different subgenre and has a different sense of humor, but there's probably a lot of crossover between people who like both.

Adventure Time is like watching an eight year old kid play with Action Figures. I really don't get a stupid stoner vibe from it. It's not "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The Firm looks promising. Enjoying Revenge as well. NCIS and NCIS faithful as well.
Merlin just ended for the year. Leverage is OK..

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This world gets stranger. E4HD is showing Charlies' Angels, the new version. Just watched
S1 #8 and it was stunning in quality, and the show wasn't terrible either.;-)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Finished the Battlestar blurry box set. Just as good the second time around.

Video quality is questionable, you could get it on DVD and not really be missing anything IMO. Very artificial grainy and black levels had a lot to be desired. I'm not a video snob IMO so when I notice stuff like this constantly I think there is a problem.

Organization of the episodes is annoying, twice there was an extended episode available on the next disk, but I didn't notice it because the regular one was on the previous disk.

When you are doing marathon viewing I didn't see a convenient way to skip the "this happened on the last episode" thing as the chapters weren't set up that way.

Still worth it, it was about a month of straight TV viewing for me and not watching other shows.

chardri

What is this storage?
Battlestar is great!
I don't watch TV too often, I prefer watching TV shows and series like Dexter, True Blood, Lost, House MD.. and stuff like that. And I prefer watching them on DVD anyway.... when I watch normal TV shows I just think that I lose the time.. in which I could do some things with sense!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm currently watching BSG. Most of the way through season 3. There sure are a lot of flashbacks in this show.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Everything that I know about Battlestar Galactica, I learned from Portlandia.

Mercutio

Portlandia is funny in a sort of low key way. Which I suspect is precisely the point. It's pretty amusing that the whole town seems to be in on the joke. The sitting mayor of Portland makes appearances on the show, for example.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Poppy Montgomery is growing on me. I'm watching the early shows of "Without a Trace"
I think she looks better older, in Unforgettable, but, she's still hot, and Paglia has a delivery in these kind of shows, pacing and speech, that I find unique, and enjoyable to listen to.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Top Gear is growing on me. Wish I understood half their British humor, but they still come up with good stuff. Motorheads should love this.

Handruin

Administrator
Top Gear is growing on me. Wish I understood half their British humor, but they still come up with good stuff. Motorheads should love this.

There is plenty of content on Netflix. I watch episodes through Netflix occasionally to catch up on the ones I've missed over the years.

ddrueding

Fixture

Top Gear is likely my favorite show at this point, my wife is actually a fan as well. Only when they start intentionally screwing stuff up do I get bored.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why anyone would still be using xvid is beyond me. But the fact that the moochers are pissed off at the format in which their free TV rips are provided is pretty hilarious to me. What's next, people taking to the street to protest people uploading Monkey Audio (APE files) to USEnet instead of FLAC?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm surprised to still see Shorten files pop up every once in a while. It really is an inconvenient format.

Mercutio

.ape does kind of annoy me, but I'm surprised that release groups stuck with xvid as long as they did. I'm also surprised that there came to be an ecosystem of compatible hardware. I guess I just never paid any attention to that.

Mercutio

There is a trailer up for Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. It looks like Michael Bay made sweet sweet love to Bourne Movie fight-sequence editing and it is filled with some kind of shitty not-Bear McCreary music but rest assured that both Ronald D. Moore and Bear McCreary are listed prominently on the IMDB page. And I know that because I was scared enough that I felt the need to check.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well that was fast.

Also that trailer already got the copyright cock block.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
OK, I can play it on the tablet. Taut is rather esoteric to be sure.

Mercutio

BSG's music in particular has a brilliant and rather unique talent behind it. The young man, Bear McCreary, who composed practically everything used in the series (and he is YOUNG; I don't even think he's 30 yet) worked with both Western and non-Western musical traditions and at times dozens of non-traditional instruments. Music was made an integral part of the show; the composer noted that he managed to compose signature leitmotifs for characters who might've spent an hour on-camera during the whole series run. He was allowed at times to work with a full orchestra but he took detours into Samuel Barber-esque bits of piano virtuosity, a unique take on what is apparently a rock standard... performed on an electric sitar, driving and moody electric bass and disco-pastiche elevator music.

In case anyone was wondering, he also found a place to recapitulate the classic Battlestar Galactica theme as the Colonial Anthem. It also floats through a poignant moment in the last episode and during a flashback in an episode of the prequel series Caprica.

As a musician I found the whole thing kind of breathtaking and as I watched the show I really did find myself thinking that this or that bit needed to be available as a recording.

I probably manage to listen to the full scoring from Battlestar Galactica at least once a week. It's great music to game to, if you're into that sort of thing.

Here's a recording he made apparently for his own amusement, performing "Prelude to War" and its famous percussion entirely using several audio tracks and a solo accordion. The composer is playing the accordion.