Unusual alternative to workstation-grade laptop

ddrueding

Fixture
This last trip had me quite frustrated at the lack of performance on my Lenovo W540. It is a very high-spec unit, but left me waiting far too much. Specs as follows:

i7-4900MQ (4 cores @ 2.8GHz)
16GB RAM
2x 120GB SSDs in RAID0
Quadro K2100M
2880x1620@60 display
Intel Wireless (AC) 7260
Bluetooth
Fingerprint Reader
Color Calibrator

Looking at even the latest top-end laptops shows that I wouldn't be getting that much more. Going to desktop-level hardware seems to be the way to go.

I'm thinking of mounting some high-performance parts (link to specs) to the inside of the lid of my Pelican hard-shell photo case. Looks like I could do considerably faster for considerably less than a laptop.

I typically travel with two laptops; an ultra-portable for use while traveling and a workstation for photo work from my room.

Thoughts? Specs on the proposed system in text below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($288.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($917.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY Quadro K2200 4GB Video Card ($428.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($139.00 @ Adorama)
Monitor: Dell UP2414Q 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($611.83 @ Mac Mall)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Das Keyboard Professional Keyboard with Quiet Keys Wired Standard Keyboard ($100.00)
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Other: PCIe Ribbon Cable ($20.00)
Total: $4009.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 00:25 EDT-0400

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I focus on capture during travel and trying to rest during free time. You will have some issues with bringing a whole computer in pieces to many areas of the world. Is that just for local road trips?

ddrueding

Fixture
Two things prevent me from just bringing all the RAWs home.

1. Vacation time is all the time I have; when I get home I go back to work. If the pictures aren't done by the time I get home, it could be months.
2. I don't know what I'm doing. None of the Timelapse shots I took are as good as I'd like, and had they been processed the same day I could have learned and fixed on the fly.

I don't plan to just pack parts; I intend to build the computer into the case, fabricating a frame and shroud and semi-permanently mounting the whole thing. A less radical solution would be to put similar hardware in a stock SFF chassis and put that in the case, but that is less cool.

LunarMist

Two things prevent me from just bringing all the RAWs home.

1. Vacation time is all the time I have; when I get home I go back to work. If the pictures aren't done by the time I get home, it could be months.
2. I don't know what I'm doing. None of the Timelapse shots I took are as good as I'd like, and had they been processed the same day I could have learned and fixed on the fly.

I don't plan to just pack parts; I intend to build the computer into the case, fabricating a frame and shroud and semi-permanently mounting the whole thing. A less radical solution would be to put similar hardware in a stock SFF chassis and put that in the case, but that is less cool.

Re #2, I notice that you have a tendency to jump to a computer hardware solution. First learn how to properly accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do.
I'm still not convinced that using a DSLR is the best choice.

ddrueding

Fixture
This isn't just about a hardware solution to this single problem. I also want a better gaming machine, a larger screen to watch movies, and more storage than I can fit in a single laptop (so I can bring all the RAWs home).

Looking at the video output, the DSLR is certainly higher quality, but probably not enough to warrant the added maintenance costs.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(a) Keep the Thinkpad. Shoot raw + JPG and only look at the JPGs on the road. Just park the raws on an external drive until you get home to some real hardware and a better screen. (I can help you with some very nifty sycronisation software there to keep track of everything.)

(b) Deal with your work-life balance more effectively.

(You might find (a) a bit easier than (b).)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That machine sounds like it would be a complete pain in the ass to travel with. Especially if you have a human child you have to travel with already. If you don't have time to process photos, what makes you think you have time to screw with the construction of such a rig and what are you going to do when it doesn't survive its first actual contact with our transit systems?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Re #2, I notice that you have a tendency to jump to a computer hardware solution. First learn how to properly accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do.
I agree with this 100%. Of all the people posting quite decent time lapse videos on Youtube and elsewhere, I'm pretty sure almost none of them have hardware anywhere near the performance of what you have, yet they manage to create something looking good (event though I find time lapse video boring).

LunarMist

This isn't just about a hardware solution to this single problem. I also want a better gaming machine, a larger screen to watch movies, and more storage than I can fit in a single laptop (so I can bring all the RAWs home).

Looking at the video output, the DSLR is certainly higher quality, but probably not enough to warrant the added maintenance costs.

Why even go on vacation if you lug around a whole computer system, play video games, and watch movies? Stop and smell the roses sometimes. Life goes by so fast.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why even go on vacation if you lug around a whole computer system, play video games, and watch movies? Stop and smell the roses sometimes. Life goes by so fast.

The whole purpose of vacations is to placate those around me. If it were up to me, I would tell everyone I was going on a cruise then stay home and sleep. Anything out of the normal routine is so much effort once a wife and 2-year-old is involved that I would consider it pretty much never worthwhile. The purpose of selecting a cruise was that it required the minimum additional effort while being enough to satisfy the rest of the household that we were "doing something". When given the opportunity, I set up my laptop on a desk with a beautiful view of whatever we were sailing past and did the same things I do when at home (photos, design stuff, games, etc). Doing these things in a prettier place and in more comfort is the objective.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The whole purpose of vacations is to placate those around me. If it were up to me, I would tell everyone I was going on a cruise then stay home and sleep. Anything out of the normal routine is so much effort once a wife and 2-year-old is involved that I would consider it pretty much never worthwhile. The purpose of selecting a cruise was that it required the minimum additional effort while being enough to satisfy the rest of the household that we were "doing something". When given the opportunity, I set up my laptop on a desk with a beautiful view of whatever we were sailing past and did the same things I do when at home (photos, design stuff, games, etc). Doing these things in a prettier place and in more comfort is the objective.

Have you considered something in the MicroATX form factor with say a Fury Nano? Unless you chose the K series quadro for the certified drivers?

LunarMist

In a few years it will be easier and at some point the kids went ifyefuh fedyhacatinog with you anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
Have you considered something in the MicroATX form factor with say a Fury Nano? Unless you chose the K series quadro for the certified drivers?

The whole question is whether whatever GPU I choose is recognized and used for acceleration in Photoshop and Premiere. If a gamer GPU will do that is what I'd go with.

In a few years it will be easier and at some point the kids went ifyefuh fedyhacatinog with you anyway.

Indeed. Our next vacation is likely in a couple years and by then laiokhdflkiuj sdfglku jhsdfgokun.

LunarMist

Something affected my posting. It's all very odd. :dunno:

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for talking me down guys, just upgraded the storage system and called it a day. A pair of large 850 Pros in RAID0 giving 1GB/s+ read and write Seq. and even 300MB/s+ 4k Q32TI.