Watch preferences

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Just wondering if anybody here has strong opinions about their wrist watches.

I'm kind of into chronometers, and have always liked Seiko. And Christmas is coming. Would love a Rolex or Omega, but I honestly could probably never justify spending that much money on a watch. And I have no qualms about battery-powered quarts time pieces.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I stand firmly against wrist watches. The last time I wore one was 1972 and I will not do so again. (Well, you asked for an opinion.)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
LunarMist said:
I stand firmly against wrist watches. The last time I wore one was 1972 and I will not do so again. (Well, you asked for an opinion.)

Why? Just don't like it? Gotta admit that it's a bit annoying having to take off my wedding band and watch (and then tie them to my scrub pants and look a bit geeky) if I need to put on sterile gloves, but these days it's usually not a problem.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I like Skagen watches. They aren't really that much money, but I think they look kind of expensive.

This is the one I have.

It is very thin and light and I barely notice that I am wearing it. It also looks nice, I think.

ddrueding

Fixture
No watch, no bracelets, no rings. No neclaces or earrings for that matter. I'm a fan of a minimalist lifestyle, and those things don't work for me. The clocks on my 2 cell phones work just fine.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
ddrueding said:
I'm a fan of a minimalist lifestyle, and those things don't work for me.

Minimalist lifestyle? :eek: Compared to what?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm with LunarMist and ddrueding on wrist watches. The only time I wear one is when I go on the subway so I have an idea of the time. 99% of the time I go out without a watch. I don't wear rings either. It's too much of a chore worrying about stuff like that.

My watch preference is for 100% digital with stainless steel bands. Either regular or expansion bands are OK with me, just so long as they're stainless. IMHO analog watches are dinosaurs. Poor battery life compared to digital plus less shock resistance. You can buy an LCD watch with an analog display if you really must have a dial of some sort to look at. The newer digital watches even have solar cells so you don't need to bother with batteries any more. I really like the old-school LED watches but those are real battery killers so they just don't jive with my minimalist, low-maintenance lifestyle.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm also in the no wristwach camp. I think we're a rather unusual demographic.

I used to keep a pocket watch though. I don't like having jewelry on me, but it's sometimes useful to know the time, so a pocket watch was a nice solution for me. It broke about two years ago though and I haven't fixed or replaced it yet.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I don't wear a watch either. I haven't in about 4 years ... my cell phone kind of took over the time and (occasional) alarm roles.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Strange that without realizing it, I made my post right after my ritual of taking off my watch and ring and securing the two together (watch band through the ring, the fasten the strap). Seems I find my hands work a little better without anything keeping them down.

On the (hospital) wards I need to wear a watch since each note needs a date and time. For call nights I prefer my Timex Ironman - nice big numbers, bright Indiglo so I can see it when the nurses turn off the lights around the central station (what, do they think patients need darkness to sleep?!), 24-hour time (12-hour time is just unsafe), alarm (I always set my pager's alarm + watch alarm), countdown timer (useful so I can pace myself, makes it easier to wait for lab results), plastic strap that dries quickly when I splash some water on it (important when you washing your hands 10^9 times per day)...

But on non-call nights, when I'm in shirt/tie and not scrubs, I prefer to wear something a little dressier. Hence the reason I'm on the hunt for a nice dressy watch, but one that is also almost as functional as my Ironman.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Skagen makes some nice watches. Minimialist, clean. I like. Perhaps if I get off my bling kick (large, bulky watches) I'll add a Skagen to my wish list.

My current non-digital watch is a Seiko much like this this one, but with a rotating bezel, round hour markers, a plastic strap, and the case is more brassy-looking with black plastic highlights. I got it probably around 1996 in Mexico, so I can't seem to find a pic of it on the web.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've become a fan of Timex watches. They take a good amount of abuse; and when they've taken too much, I don't feel remorse about replacing it.

I like cloth and woven wristbands. Beyond being more comfortable, I've found that they last longer. Metal tends to irritate my skin and/or become coroded by my sweat; plastic doesn't breath and dissolves in organic solvents; and leather falls apart easily.

Have you considered something on a chain or strap, rather than your wrist? I've not sure of the practicality, but it's obvious that, if you stick with a wrist watch, then you'll be constantly taking it off for work.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Good thought. But as long as I'm not on a surgical rotation it's rare that I'd be doing something that requires me to de-jewelery-ize. After March I'll be totally done with stuff in the OR (unless I fall back in love with anesthesiology) and will only have to worry about the sporadic sterile procedures.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Aah! Timely thread. I hate wearing things too, but a watch I need. My reliable Casio digital broke on my return from a trip. The strap (I'd replaced the sickly resin band with a leather strap) got caught in baggage when I was trying to haul the damn suitcase off the conveyor belt in baggage claim. The pin holding the strap to the watch was ripped out with such force that the part of the case with the pin hole broke completely off the case. I liked this one because it had eveything I need: multiple alarms, timer, stopwatch and dual time showing date/time in the second location.

This last feature Casio seems to have almost dispensed with, opting to show time only. So if you're at Seoul airport, you have no idea what day of the week it is, and if it's today, tomorrow or yesterday in the good ole USA.

I've spent countless hours researching Casio's website for a dual-time / world time watch that has all the features my broken watch does. Only two models, both not available anywhere except their website.

I've never been into dress watches, preferring the ones with the features I want. My bro is a watch freak; he probably has 30-40 watches, including Rolex, and like a woman, he will match the watch to the occassion and the clothes he'll wear.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
mubs said:
... dual time showing date/time in the second location.

This last feature Casio seems to have almost dispensed with, opting to show time only. So if you're at Seoul airport, you have no idea what day of the week it is, and if it's today, tomorrow or yesterday in the good ole USA.

All you need is the time/date for either location and you can add/subtract hours based on where you are. Seoul is, what +10 hours from PST in the USA? So if it's 11 PM Saturday Oct 15 in Seoul, it's (11 minus 10 = 1) 1 PM Saturday Oct in Cali. What's so hard about that?

I've spent countless hours researching Casio's website for a dual-time / world time watch that has all the features my broken watch does. Only two models, both not available anywhere except their website.

Well then why don't you buy it from their website?

(Man, that e_dawg is a smart ass isn't he? :) )

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Adcadet said:
Would love a Rolex or Omega, but I honestly could probably never justify spending that much money on a watch.

You don't need to spend that much money to get a Rolex or Omega. Have you ever been to Chinatown in NYC? :)

On the (hospital) wards I need to wear a watch since each note needs a date and time

Don't you guys use PDA's all the time now anyways? It's becoming more prevalent I've heard from other docs.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I need a waterproof watch for surfing. Fossil Titanium, for the money, has been good, but, it's about 30 bucks a year for a new battery, professional installation, and new oring.

GS

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My favorite watch is a Boccia titanium model. It has a very elegant face is super-light.
I own several fancy watches. I never wear any of them (I get them as gifts, usually), as wrist watches seem designed to punish typists. I'm not even sure where most of them ARE. But I like the Boccia.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Right now, my current favorite brand is Citizen. Their Eco-Drive watches never need batteries but don't stink of "hey, I'm solar so look at me!" Analog faces have a more upscale look than digital, at least compared to the digitals I've seen. Street prices are usually from under $200 to around $400 so I'd consider them a mid-tier brand.

Since others mentioned personal jewelry, I wear my wedding band 24x7 unless I'll be working on live electronics or doing something messy like painting. I wear a watch most days but go between my Citizen for work and an older ESQ for casual. Sometimes on the weekend I'll forego the watch but not often.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
e_dawg said:
Don't you guys use PDA's all the time now anyways? It's becoming more prevalent I've heard from other docs.

Yeah, and by just hitting the center button it does pop up the date and time. And yes, I always have my palm with me on the wards. But it's just a tad easier to glance at my wrist, and a major force of habit as I've been wearing a watch since I was in elementary school.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
mubs said:
... dual time showing date/time in the second location.

All you need is the time/date for either location and you can add/subtract hours based on where you are. Seoul is, what +10 hours from PST in the USA? So if it's 11 PM Saturday Oct 15 in Seoul, it's (11 minus 10 = 1) 1 PM Saturday Oct in Cali. What's so hard about that?

Well then why don't you buy it from their website?

(Man, that e_dawg is a smart ass isn't he? :) )

Pluhease! I'm not that dumb, ok? Here's the problem, Smartypants. Seoul was just an example. When you're in transit through various airports (and I do cross the Int'l date line almost everytime I travel), it's a chore to know which one's how many hours ahead or behind GMT. I'm not that frequent a traveller that I have all this info at my fingertips. Yet I travel often enough (or my relatives do to various parts of the world), that it becomes important to know what time it is at a particular location relative to my then present position. If I have access to a computer and the Internet, I can just look it up, but if I'm "on the road", it's a problem.

I may yet have to buy it from Casio's web site, but I'd like to touch/feel/see it before I buy it, if I can.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
mubs, if you have a PDA there are "world clocks" that show, for instance, up to five cities at a time. A little less convenient than a watch, but not nearly as inconvenient as needing access to a PC or internet connection.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:
Good thought. But as long as I'm not on a surgical rotation it's rare that I'd be doing something that requires me to de-jewelery-ize.

Even so, it's something to think about. A good pocket watch looks classy.

My brother has been using a watch on a chain for some years. He does computer work, so a wrist watch tends to get in the way.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Doctors, at least in academic medicine, tend to be very conservative and appreciate conformity. As such a lowly creature on the totem pole, it is wise for me to try not to be noticed as somebody who stands out from the crowd in how I dress. Thus, while a pocket watch would be a great solution, it would probably only serve to bring negative attention. My wife describes most of my shirt/tie combos that I wear as "would put as baby to sleep boring".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You're right, Fushigi. You have a Treo, so it's convenient. I don't, and don't wish to lug my 4 year old Palm Visor around (I didn't buy it; was a gift). A watch is more handy for me.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
mubs said:
You're right, Fushigi. You have a Treo, so it's convenient. I don't, and don't wish to lug my 4 year old Palm Visor around (I didn't buy it; was a gift). A watch is more handy for me.
A quick Google is showing World Clock on the Visor. It's even pictured here. Of course, if you're looking to spend on a watch, you could instead pick up the new color Z22 that's $99. The specs show World Clock is included.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I used to wear a watch all the time, even had a band of non-tanned skin from it. Then one day I took it off. And haven't worn one since. Maybe 8 years.
The one I had was a casio twincept. It had an analog face but push a button and the digital data bank appeared for phone numbers and such.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Fushigi. I'm certainly aware that the Visor has the world clock, but don't want to lug it around with me. The Z22 is about half as thick, an inch shorter and the same width as the Visor. But I still don't want to lug it around :D

Adcadet

Storage Freak
mubs said:
Thanks, Fushigi. I'm certainly aware that the Visor has the world clock, but don't want to lug it around with me. The Z22 is about half as thick, an inch shorter and the same width as the Visor. But I still don't want to lug it around :D

If I can't be bothered to whip out my Palm when it's already strapped to my hip (yes, I'm geeky like that), or frequently on the table already for calculating ins and outs, how can we expect anybody to pack it around and use it when flying?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
This Casio G-Shock is what I have my eye on. It has everything I want, and does everything the way I want it to. Looks like a new model just being introduced, so I'll wait a bit for better availability and the typical 40-50% discounting.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
This Casio G-Shock is what I have my eye on. It has everything I want, and does everything the way I want it to. Looks like a new model just being introduced, so I'll wait a bit for better availability and the typical 40-50% discounting.

Very different from their current model. I just bought one before my trip so that I had a watch to wear in the water. The plastic casing on my previous one began to fall apart after 10 years. I have always liked the ruggedness of the G-Shocks and the alarms. I have never used a clock alarm to get up, I only use the G-Shock alarm.

As for the L.L. Bean Field Watch, I've had it for two years now, and it is doing quite well; I wear it everyday, almost all day. It keeps very accurate time, and is simple -- just what I wanted.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't even know L.L. Bean made/sold watches. I'll check them out; maybe they'll have something that'll meet my needs. Thanks, Buck.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I used to be normal about watches.

Like I usually wore one.

Used it to tell the time with.

Mostly, I liked digital ones. Never spent a lot on them, just wanted to know what time it was. Trouble with analogue readouts is that it's too easy to glance at it carelessly and be a whole hour out

I did that once when I was about 8 or 10. After being warned not to be late home again - like seriously warned, it was a bit of a habit - the very next weekend I was a whole hour late from a day out fishing because I mistook half-past six for half-past five. Yike! Was I ever going to be in trouble!

Luckily, my mother believed me when I stammered out the truth, and I didnt get in trouble after all. I suppose I managed to be on time, more or less, next time I went fishing. That woud have been the old fashioned clockwork sort of watch that yopu had to wind up every night. Quartz crystal watches didn't come in until the early 1970s.

Later on, I switched to LED watches. Much safer.

Then I went to work on the tramways. (What you would call "streetcars" in the US.) Worked there for 5 years or so, and soon became obsessed with exact time. Goes with the job. You don't care what hour it is, but you'd know what minute it was, to the second. (Ask a trammie for the time and he will say "42", meaning 7:42 or 9:42 or whatever it is, but he won't bother saying the hour, the hour doesn't matter, only the minute.)

I used plastic digital watches, because they were the most practical. A soft, rubber-like plastic band and body is the most comfortable. Flexes and twists with your wrist, doesn't scratch, digital readout for accuracy, doesn't cost a fortune.

Then I got a job in the explosive factory. (Making gelignite and dynamite for ICI.) Watches, rings, and the like were totally forbidden, of course. Working on that stuff, you don't want a spark! Being found outside the change-room with a watch or ring or matches or lighter meant instant dismissal - and I mean instant. That was fine by me: the last thing you wanted was some turkey blowing us all up just because you he had forgotten to take his wedding ring off.

That too was habit-forming. I haven't worn a watch more than two or three times a year ever since. I mean, WTF? If I'm at work there are computers everywhere. If it's a day off, then I'm out in the bush and there is this big shiny thing up in the shy that tells me time and direction. (It's called the sun.) Plus, if I really want to see the exact time, I have three cameras, a GPS, a clock in the car, and a laptop computer. Oh, and a tiny little travel alarm clock that I use to wake me up before dawn so I can have a cup of tea before I go off birdwatching. I usually wake up just before the alarm goes off, but sometimes it's handy.

I think all this talk about what brand and spending large amounts on watches that, when it's all said and done, don't tell the time any better than cheap ones is stupid.

What fools you all are.