Watch preferences

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
ddrueding said:
Cellphones make people rude and inconsiderate? Really? I love mind controll devices. More likely, cellphones are a tool rude and inconsiderate people use to make themselves more annoying by misusing them.

You're a nice guy, right? Ever had a cell phone go off in an inappropriate situation, like in the middle of a movie theatre or some such? Ever had the phone ring while you were driving and needed to answer it? You've just become a rude and/or inconsiderate person, and it was the device that caused it.

That's right. Folks who would hold the door for you are made rude by a little bit of technology.

Had a phone ring in a resteraunt or theatre? Nope. With a single button-push my phone enters a completely silent mode; it's in this mode most of the time. When I'm at a particularly sensative event, I remove the battery completely and stick it in another pocket, just in case. I talk while driving all the time without any degredation of performance, this does not make me rude. I propose we also ban walking and chewing gum at the same time, as some people have issues there as well.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
I talk while driving all the time without any degredation of performance, this does not make me rude. I propose we also ban walking and chewing gum at the same time, as some people have issues there as well.

People who are walking and chewing gum at the same time rarely have the opportunity to accidently kill a number of people.

If you make a mistake while walking, generally, you fall over and look foolish. You might take a few people with you and scrape some elbows.

If you make a minor mistake while driving, you'll always come close to having an accident. You could possibly kill yourself and a number of others, both in other vehicles and bystanders, around you.

Studies have shown that about 100% of people who talk on cell phones while driving are distracted. Distracted drivers make mistakes and do things that are, at best, inconsiderate.

If you think that you can talk on your cell phone while driving with no degradation in your performance, either you're a poor driver in the first place or deluded.

ddrueding

Fixture
The studies I have seen also say that driving while other people are in the car, and especially while eating, is also distracting. Driving is a balance of many things, spreading your attention to the gauges, the road, the mirrors, any pedestrian traffic, cross-traffic, road signs, as well as anyone in your vehicle, on the phone, your car radio, eating, or a number of other things.

Do you propose that the driver be completely isolated from all distractions? How about if he is tired? Should his car refuse to start if he had a bad night's sleep?

It has ben up til now, left to the judgement of the individual what they can handle safely. I'm not saying that the judgement of all people is sound; on the contrary I believe that most people aren't smart enough to be given a "forward" button on their e-mail, much less manage distractions in their car, plan for their own retirement, vote, or bear children. This still doesn't change the fact that I don't want my choices limited based on the bad judgements/stupidity of others.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Let's start with things that are obviously problems and easy to fix, and work our way down.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
ddrueding said:
I believe that most people aren't smart enough to be given a "forward" button on their e-mail

Ain't that the truth. I really wonder if those serial e-mail forwarders (there's always one or two of those in every group of friends) know that people couldn't give a rat's a$$ about most of these stupid jokes, videos, .pps slideshows, or chain letters that will doom you to eternal damnation unless you forward this to at least 57 people within the next hour and don't appreciate having their Inboxes clogged with all this junk.

That kind of e-mail etiquette says something about a person...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
mubs said:
I liked this one because it had eveything I need: multiple alarms, timer, stopwatch and dual time showing date/time in the second location.
My Timex Ironman has all the features you are looking for except perhaps the multiple alarams. It does allow you to set alarms per "location" though.

Thanks Howell, but which model do you have? I checked their website and read the manual for many models, and many don't have an automatic calendar in them. As for dual time, I called their info line and the lady said that in most models with dual time, only the hour can be changed, so if the time difference includes a fraction of an hour (like a half-hour) then one is out of luck. That is unacceptable to me. So the Casio G8000 still looks like the best bet for now, but availability is still very limited. Only one place selling it for $50, and they warn that it can take 10 plus days to ship.

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
Oh my, it looks like I am the odd one out on this one. I have a rather old White Gold Rolex Day-Date. I did not buy it new or pay the insane amounts of money these cost retail, before anyone asks either. I bought it from a dealer in Bond Street in London for a reasona :wink: ble amount with the previous few owners taking the depreciation hit. What can you say? Some people like expensive cars, some expensive wine, some expensively decorated houses. I have a weakness for watches :wink:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
timwhit said:
I like Skagen watches. They aren't really that much money, but I think they look kind of expensive.

This is the one I have.

It is very thin and light and I barely notice that I am wearing it. It also looks nice, I think.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tim. I looked at Skagen watches, and I'm getting the 105LTX[/ulr] for Christmas. While I love complicated watches, I do appreciate a simple, easy to wear, easy to read watch. Actually, easy to read is becoming a priority these days.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
No problem. I have been pretty happy with my watch over the last 10 months. I should have been a little more careful with it though. I wore it places where I shouldn't have.

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
Casio G-Shock was good for one year. Cheap, yet more than sufficient for diving depths. A month ago I opened it up just to check the battery type so I knew what kind of replacement to get. Little did I know that this watch requires factory battery installation or else it looses its waterproof ability. It's not possible for you or a jewelry shop to do it, and still maintain waterproof, due to the difficulty of remounting the o-ring and other parts.

Little springs popped out and will never be found, etc. I took it to the pool and the watch got messed up. It only works now if I press on the screen real hard.

I'm thinking my next G-shock will be the solar powered series so that I will not have to change the battery.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
adriel said:
I really do not believe in buying a new watch every year or every two years. I believe purchases should last for a lifetime or near that.
I don't know about lifetime, but I do like to get at least 5-8 years from any given watch. My current work watch, a Citizen, is solar so no battery change required. In theory 1 day of sunlight provides 90+ days of battery power. My casual watch is an ESQ that does need a new battery about every 18-24 months. It's also on it's second leather wristband.

paugie

Storage is cool
This is another nice thread. Touches on watches and cellphones.
My cellphone is my watch.
I'd like to have a watch, but nobody here now gives watches for gifts. Maybe I'll ask my eldest daughter for one. A stainless steel Tag Heuer looks good. I want one that isn't too bulky.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
My latest watch, bought it today and loving it:
http://www.traserh3watches.com/en/watches/detail.php?kat=2&watch=6

The only better looking would be the Commander 100.

Or maybe Smith&Wesson Executive Titanium:
http://www.streetgadgets.com/prod/9.../Smith_and_Wesson_Executive_Tritium_Watch.htm

Simple looking, good for diving, able to read them in low light conditions etc...

I was looking at a Traser H3 series, but lack of availability and support in Australia put me off. Ended up getting a Citizen Promaster Divers watch (http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/products/model/Promaster/BK3150-04E), large analog display, clean and simple. Very easy to read just with a glance at the watch in any light condition.

I did look at the Casio G-Shocks, but the band attachment only allows genuine Casio bands which has an odd attachment mechanism, (I like having a NATO strap, as I've lost 1 too many watches due to crappy bands/pins).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I very much like my Citizen mentioned earlier. Had some coupons from our jeweler after buying xmas gifts for my wife, so I got this Citizen at about 60% off. I now alternate between the two for dress/work wear and still use the ESQ for casual.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've many times looked at the Citizen Promaster divers watches, but it has never really "clicked" for me to buy it, I don't know why because it's a very good looking watch!

Same thing really with the Tag Heuer divers watch, not really clicked for me even though I drool about it a long time.