Watch preferences

ddrueding

Fixture
LunarMist said:
ddrueding said:
I'm a fan of a minimalist lifestyle, and those things don't work for me.

Minimalist lifestyle? :eek: Compared to what?

Minimalist in this context means least amount of stuff to carry with me. When I am staying at a home that isn't my own, I end up putting all my things in a pile on my shoes next to the bed. This pile consists of shoes, clothes, my car key, my cellphone, and a moneyclip. That's it. Anything else would significantly add to my pile. I like to travel light, it helps if you need to leave in a hurry.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
In my family, being seen without a watch is indication that you don't have one. So someone gives you another one...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
This pile consists of shoes, clothes, my car key, my cellphone, and a moneyclip. That's it.

You know, if you replaced that cell phone with a watch and dumped the car key, it'd be a lot more minimalist.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
ddrueding said:
This pile consists of shoes, clothes, my car key, my cellphone, and a moneyclip. That's it.

You know, if you replaced that cell phone with a watch and dumped the car key, it'd be a lot more minimalist.

...and a lot less functional. I guess my point is one that has been made already. In a society where everyone has a clock at every turn (cellphones are a virtual must); a wristwatch of any kind is silly. A relic of a past age, used for decoration and posturing only as it's function has clearly been replaced by other devices.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
ddrueding said:
I like to travel light, it helps if you need to leave in a hurry.

I understand. I'm amazed at how much energy you young guys have. Why did you have to run out in such a hurry; was there a crazy boyfriend or similar?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
cellphones are a virtual must

Thank goodness the darn things aren't a reality must. Devices that make people rude and inconsiderate should have strict licensing.

LunarMist

ddrueding said:
cellphones are a virtual must

Why? I have never owned or operated a cellphone and am still functioning. I don't have a pager, PDA or Blueberry either. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
Thank goodness the darn things aren't a reality must. Devices that make people rude and inconsiderate should have strict licensing.
LunarMist said:
Why? I have never owned or operated a cellphone and am still functioning. I don't have a pager, PDA or Blueberry either

I know quite a few people that have never touched a computer, either. And some that are still without microwaves, dishwashers, electricity, or functional plumbing.

Of course, very few of these I'd consider a good idea.

Cellphones make people rude and inconsiderate? Really? I love mind controll devices. More likely, cellphones are a tool rude and inconsiderate people use to make themselves more annoying by misusing them.

I have 2 cellphones actually, but don't feel that they are a leash of any kind. These days they are off more often than not and even if your call doesn't go straight to voicemail, the odds of me actually answering are quite slim. It is a tool that I use to reach others, an appliance that I use to make my life easier. Just like a computer, microwave, or running hot water. If you decide that you don't want the benefits of the device, that's fine, but it's kinda silly not to.

Sorry for the semi-derailment.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said:
Why? I have never owned or operated a cellphone and am still functioning. I don't have a pager, PDA or Blueberry either. ;)
Same here. I have zero need to make or receive phone calls when I'm out. In fact, I consider getting phone calls in general pretty annoying so I certainly don't want to get them when I'm out.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
It's common for the older and geeks among us (not that there's anything wrong with being older or social misfits) to be hesitant to embrace the enabling technology such as mobile communication/organizational devices. As we get older, we will become like our parents. When you're young, you never understand why they refuse to see the benefit of such useful devices while they see them as annoying spawns of satan. And geeks are always a different breed. Always have been, always will be.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
Cellphones make people rude and inconsiderate? Really? I love mind controll devices. More likely, cellphones are a tool rude and inconsiderate people use to make themselves more annoying by misusing them.

You're a nice guy, right? Ever had a cell phone go off in an inappropriate situation, like in the middle of a movie theatre or some such? Ever had the phone ring while you were driving and needed to answer it? You've just become a rude and/or inconsiderate person, and it was the device that caused it.

That's right. Folks who would hold the door for you are made rude by a little bit of technology.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
It's common for the older and geeks among us (not that there's anything wrong with being older or social misfits) to be hesitant to embrace the enabling technology such as mobile communication/organizational devices.

I have a friend who is older and definitely geekier than I. His personal digital assistant is a pad of paper and a pen used by his digits.

Who says we're hesitant? I've never had the batteries run down on my address book and had it lose all its ink and pages. That sounds like superior technology to me!

e_dawg

Storage Freak
sechs said:
Who says we're hesitant? I've never had the batteries run down on my address book and had it lose all its ink and pages. That sounds like superior technology to me!

Touche! That has got to be the most annoying thing about PDAs. ... although, it shouldn't happen normally (at least not irrevocably). Usually, you put it in the cradle every night so that it is always charged.

It's the atypical situations that cause problems... like when I moved. My PDA was in one of my moving boxes for about 2 weeks, losing battery power probably after about a week and a half. Needless to say, I lost everything. Normally, it wouldn't have been a problem, as I could have just synced with my desktop at work to reload everything onto my PDA. However, I left that company and transferring my personal info from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook to my PDA didn't work out so well with different sync conduits and field associations.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
e_dawg said:
sechs said:

Touche! That has got to be the most annoying thing about PDAs. ... although, it shouldn't happen normally (at least not irrevocably). Usually, you put it in the cradle every night so that it is always charged.
My Treo and several other current-generation Palm OS products continually back main RAM to NVRAM. Lose the battery and you can't access your data until it's recharged, but you don't lose the data itself.

Being available 24x7 is a requirement of my job. A pager may suffice for notification, but is certainly not adequate for actually responding to issues. My Treo acts as my pager, phone, email device, and remote access device for Windows servers as well as our AS/400s. It is far more convenient than lugging around a laptop & hunting for WiFi/connectivity wherever I might be.

The device gets muted at movie theaters or in other places where a ring, page, or email alert would be considered rude. Treos have a hard switch that kills all audio and automatically sets the phone on vibrate.

If used while driving I only use the phone portion and use a Bluetooth headset. I am also not afraid to pull to the side if the conversation will be lengthy or involved enough that it will need my full attention. I've no problem telling a caller to hold on while I park somewhere.

Does it make me rude? I suppose it could, but I am at least aware of my circumstances and try to act in a manner to minimize disruptions. My family & friends know it's the nature of my job that I may be called at any hour. Luckily, while I have to be available 24x7, I am not frequently called upon to act outside of normal business hours. Probably less than once a month on average. Many months I'll average under 50 minutes of cel usage.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Embracing technology? Best thing since hot chocolate? Laughable! Cell phones and PDAs have a basic function, which fill a niche need. I didn't get a cell phone until the need arose. Poor Fushigi has orders from his company to carry one around. Hey, if you need a cell phone because ten women are calling for your company while you are out with another, so be it. Maybe you need to be urgently contacted by a client or boss while you're on the move, okay, let that happen (just don't drive around me). Honestly, people functioned just fine without them.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Buck said:
Poor Fushigi has orders from his company to carry one around.
Poor me? My company pays for the device (and upgrades). They pay for the service. They pay for my broadband at home. They pay me. So once in a while I do work off-hours. No big deal; there are millions of people who take a little work home with them; my work is just a bit more 'official'.

Being on call does not hamper my lifestyle. I do not have to respond to email off hours. Only emergencies and they are rare. Frequently I do some email off-hours anyway. But then I take 2 hour lunches whenever I feel like it. Or leave early. If I spend a lot of time on something during off-hours I'll take a day or two off to compensate. My manager lets me manage my time; his sole concern is that the job gets done on time and within budget.

I've been responsible for systems, including some form of after hours support, since 1988. It's no big deal. Now, if I had to support our Windows environment, things would be different. Then I'd go nuts and never sleep.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Buck said:
Embracing technology? Best thing since hot chocolate? Laughable! Cell phones and PDAs have a basic function, which fill a niche need. I didn't get a cell phone until the need arose. Poor Fushigi has orders from his company to carry one around. Hey, if you need a cell phone because ten women are calling for your company while you are out with another, so be it. Maybe you need to be urgently contacted by a client or boss while you're on the move, okay, let that happen (just don't drive around me). Honestly, people functioned just fine without them.

For some reason, the word "curmudgeon" comes to mind :) ... You're totally missing the point. We're not talking about being a victim of a burdensome implement that one is forced to carry. We're talking about proactively seeking better living through technology. Cars, TVs, DVD players, satellite, CD players, mp3, e-mail, the Internet, computers, VCR's, air conditioning... all of these are things that people don't really need. We got along just fine without them. But they are all things that (usually) enrich and enhance our lives.

The same goes with cell phones and other handheld mobile devices. Cell phones enable you to conveniently keep in touch with others, which is a desirable thing in many cases -- especially if you have even a mildly active social life. It greatly enhances flexibility when planning or changing social commitments on the fly.

Why don't I express my disdain for that silly newfangled transportation technology you use called a car? People surely did that at the turn of the century. Even today it is certainly unnecessary in any major city due to the advent of public transportation. It pollutes, is ridiculously inefficient unless you're carpooling, is quite a financial burden to own and operate, and it depreciates faster than any other asset class save for computer hardware...

Welcome to the 21st century my friends. Technology marches forward. Don't get trampled underfoot!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
Why don't I express my disdain for that silly newfangled transportation technology you use called a car? People surely did that at the turn of the century. Even today it is certainly unnecessary in any major city due to the advent of public transportation. It pollutes, is ridiculously inefficient unless you're carpooling, is quite a financial burden to own and operate, and it depreciates faster than any other asset class save for computer hardware...
Honestly, in NYC, and especially Manhattan, owning a car is more trouble than it's worth. A car is totally useless for getting around the city, being both slower and more expensive than the subway. The only use it might have is if you frequently travel outside the city, but even here renting a car might make more sense unless one drives outside the city quite often. Since I prefer to have nothing at all to do with the suburbs, to me a car is as pointless as a cell phone. I have to say that with a car when one considers the time involved maintaining it, plus the time spent working to pay for it, how much are you really ahead? Usually a car saves at best a few hours a week over public transportation once all these things are factored in. Sometimes it ends up burdening us more than it helps us.

It's common for the older and geeks among us (not that there's anything wrong with being older or social misfits) to be hesitant to embrace the enabling technology such as mobile communication/organizational devices.
It's not a question of not embracing technology so much as not being burdened by it. Sure, sometimes something new offers advantages. This needs to be weighed against the disadvantages. One problem I've had with many of these "gadgets" is their steep price, usually in the hundred dollar or higher range. Then there is often a steep learning curve requiring a good investment of time. After that there is often maintenance like keeping firmware updated, synchronizing contact lists, etc. All these must be balanced against any advantages. Do I really need a PDA so I can look up addresses on the fly? No, I'm not in any line of work which requires that. Heck, I hardly travel beyond walking distance most of the time.

Other times some of these devices have recurring charges. Cell phones and cars are two great examples. Is occasionally (or even more than occasionally) contacting someone when I'm out worth $30 or $40 a month to me? No way. First off, I can't think of a time ever when I was out and absolutely had to make a phone call, or even wanted to. Second, I occasionally think Internet service, which I use for many hours a month, isn't worth the $36 a month (which I split in half with my mom) I'm paying for it, so there's no way I'll pay that amount for a phone which will be little more than a toy to me. If others want to pay that kind of money to engage in (mostly) meaningless chatter, at least from the conversations I've overheard, then that's their business. Me, I work too hard for what little money I get to spend it on making myself "easier" to reach. I someone needs to get in touch, they can either email me, PM me, or call my house and have one of my parents take a message (no answering machine either). Truthfully, if I lived alone I wouldn't even have a home phone either. The cost just isn't worth the utility to me.

That's how I weigh everything. Digital camera? Great idea. Now I use my mom's but it's worth it enough to me to eventually buy one. I like photography but never could afford it. With a digicam and rechargeable batteries, the initial investment is the only one. No ongoing costs for film, processing, bad shots, etc. No space taken up by prints. No more lost pictures since everything can be backed up many times over. These advantages easily outweigh the several hundred dollar entry price. In general I will buy pricey things if the cost-benefit ratio is in my favor. As a rule though, I avoid anything with recurring monthly charges like the plague, with my ISP being the only exception.

LunarMist

jtr1962 said:
Digital camera? Great idea. Now I use my mom's but it's worth it enough to me to eventually buy one. I like photography but never could afford it. With a digicam and rechargeable batteries, the initial investment is the only one. No ongoing costs for film, processing, bad shots, etc. No space taken up by prints. No more lost pictures since everything can be backed up many times over. These advantages easily outweigh the several hundred dollar entry price.

Digital mostly saves money at the low-mid range or for pros shooting >50,000 frames per year with high end bodies and earning their keep. That does not include the cost of computers, printers, software, etc. Since the better bodies depreciate $1000-4000 per year each (and several bodies are ususally desirable), a consumer must shoot a lot of frames to make digital photography economically worthwhile. ;)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
That's a good point LM. Digicams, computers, cell phones, various other electronics, and cars tend to depreciate very quickly compared to other asset classes... and when you think about it, it's like a recurring cost just like paying a monthly fee to an ISP. Depreciation is a "hidden" cost of using whatever you purchase. Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is sometimes considered when you're buying a car and often when a company is buying IT infrastructure like servers. But nobody ever considers it when buying other personal items...

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
timwhit said:
I like Skagen watches...
I also have one of those Skagen titanium wristwatches, but with the dark slate grey faceplate (not blue, as pictured).

The timepiece is about as thin as the titanium mesh wristband is. It tends to freak some people out when they try to read the time and notice just how thin the timepiece actually is! I like to wear it when I don't care what the date is. The thin titanium shell, the lack of a calendar date display, and the lack of a second hand are the reasons why it's so thin.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah a date display would be nice. I have a cell phone on me at almost all times though in case I really need to know.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I get my watches at KMart. Usually for about $10.00. When they die, throw them out and get a new one. They usually last 2-3 years.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't worn a watch for a couple of years. It's sort of liberating. Tho I have the mobile in the pocket if I do need to check it. It helps that my work hours are flexible.

I once had a Buffy watch. Can't find it now *blubbers*

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll read the rest of the thread when I have more time (at an internt cafe in Hong Kong) but I did actually buy a watch on this trip. I didn't bring a cellphone or PDA or laptop and wall clocks haven't made it to China yet. I bought a D&G analoge with dual faces. Very usefull for this trip, and I paid about $0.90 for it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Hey Double D,

How long are you in HK for? HK is a great place to get custom tailored shirts, pants, and blazers. You can get something that fits you perfectly for half the price of something that may fit you poorly in N. America -- custom tailored clothing is not only much harder to find in N. America, but also very expensive. The lead time in HK is also ridiculously short. They can usually make your shirts in 2 days and pants/blazers in 3.

Also, if you like barbequed meats, I recommend you try the Roast Goose (pronounced "sieu owh" phonetically in Cantonese) at Yung Kee (Yung pronounced like "Jung" as in Carl Jung and Kee pronounced like "Gay") in Central district.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Oh, and if you want to go shopping, your one stop shop is Harbour City (Tsim Sha Tsui district just across the harbour on the Kowloon side). It's one of the largest malls in the world with 4 interconnected buildings, 700 shops, and 2 million sq ft of retail space:

http://www.harbourcity.com.hk/hc/en/aboutus/

There isn't much in the way of computer stores here, though. For that, you would have to go to the Wan Chai Computer City (Wan Chai MTR exit A4).

RE: tailors, I heard Sam's Tailor (Burlington Arcade, Nathan Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui) has done suits for President Clinton, Tony Blair, Kylie Minogue, the British troops, etc.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
I liked this one because it had eveything I need: multiple alarms, timer, stopwatch and dual time showing date/time in the second location.

My Timex Ironman has all the features you are looking for except perhaps the multiple alarams. It does allow you to set alarms per "location" though.

ddrueding

Fixture
e_dawg,

I stayed in HK for 3 days, and had a great time. We stayed at the Kowloon Hotel on Nathan Rd right behind the Peninsula Hotel. Did quite a bit of shopping, including some neat toys for my iPod Nano. The acccessories were much cheaper, but the iPods themselves were 20-40% more.