WEBCAM

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm searching for a cheap web camera that will upload jpegs periodically through FTP to my web space. I want to see what is going on around here during some extended travel.

There are many webcams in the local stores to choose from. However, the pictures on the boxes tend to show goofy looking youths communicting directly with each other. Do these type of cameras do what I need, is extra software required, or what? Thanks.

LunarMist

My question was unclear. I want a USB camera that connects to a computer which is connected to the internet. I would be using an old Pentium M notebook (XP) to minimize power use.

ddrueding

Fixture
In that case, any webcam will do. You are looking for a software solution. Actually, let me qualify. As I'm sure you are aware, the sensors and lenses on these things really suck. That is what you are looking for hardware-wise, and I don't know how to suggest you shop for it. I have many pro-level surveillance systems in current use, and the sensors and lenses all suck.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As far as "uploading" goes, you know you can map a drive letter to an FTP site in Windows, right?

It sucks because it doesn't support Resume, but anything that will write to a file in Windows can be made to write to an FTP location.

LunarMist

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a product to simply buy, plug in and install, but nothing is ever simple. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
The ones I linked to can really be that simple. You don't need a laptop at all. Plug the camera into power and the network, configure it to send directly to FTP via the web interface, and be done.

LunarMist

Thanks. That would probably be fine in normal situations, assuming that I had a network. :(

LunarMist

The stupid modem does not like me. A couple of years ago I tried connecting it to three different wireless thingies and no dice. I searched on the internet and disovered that I was not the only victim of incompatibilities. There was some esoteric (to me) solution, but I lost interest.

Anyway, it is time to move on to the possible and practical.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
As far as "uploading" goes, you know you can map a drive letter to an FTP site in Windows, right?

It sucks because it doesn't support Resume, but anything that will write to a file in Windows can be made to write to an FTP location.

No I didn't, but it is a neat feature to have.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone know of a halfway decent forum for security camera equipment like Storageforum is for storage and computers here?

I am on my condo board and we have some security concerns that need to be addressed with a camera system I may be called upon to advise, purchase and manage. I admit ignorance on it but I'm best suited to figure it out with the rest of the non-technical people on the board.

Heck, I didn't know these things could upload stills to a remote site as a stand alone device. That's pretty cool.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
We use Axis cameras at work. They are stand-alone IP cameras. We use them with linux based centralized collection software, but Axis also sells its own software.

I believe all Axis cameras run on linux, and access to many of the internal functionality of the cameras either through console/telnet/ssh, ftp, http is allowed.

Axis has been around a while, you can pick up used gear on ebay fairly inexpensively or purchase some of the newer stuff directly from them/reseller.

LunarMist

I'm revisiting the subject again as I will be travelling for an extended period in December and January and then again around February. I understand the software better now, so it is mostly a matter of getting a decent camera. Is the Logitech still a good brand?

LunarMist

I did not buy the webcam yet. The main drag was completely clogged, so I retreated homeward. :frusty:

LunarMist

I picked up the Logitech today. It is decent for the sale price and has a native 1600x1200 output. Unfortunately the software is useless unless one uses the Facebook, Twitter, or other social nervewracking sites. Does anyone have suggestions for a basic app that sends jpegs to an FTP site at timed intervals?

LunarMist

No, I'm not doing videos. Searching for googling for software is scary nowadays. I found several pages with malwares. :eek3:

After trying five apps and many reboots, I'm becoming quite cross. :rambo:

Assuming I can find an ape that actually transfers files and does not hang after a while, how long can Windows operate continuously? I remember reading somewhere that more than 10 days straight was likely to cause a Windows crash. :dunno:

ddrueding

Fixture
Assuming I can find an ape that actually transfers files and does not hang after a while, how long can Windows operate continuously? I remember reading somewhere that more than 10 days straight was likely to cause a Windows crash. :dunno:

My system at home (7 Ultimate x64) hasn't been rebooted in a couple months. I have some servers that have been up 1.95 years (bit late on some updates)

ddrueding

Fixture
Basically:

1. Build them right
2. Don't install anything you don't have to
3. Don't touch them unless you have to

I would certainly be testing all these software programs on one machine, then nuke it for a clean install and just put on what finally decide on.

LunarMist

I can't do a clean install, but at least the computer does not have a self destructo timer. I will be using a laptop to minimize power consumption. I've not run a personal computer continuously for more than a couple of days ever.

Meanwhile, I hope the internet does not crap out. :batman:

ddrueding

Fixture
I wouldn't expect that kind of uptime from a laptop; they are thermal timebombs. I have yet to find one that can run indefinitely without thermal throttling or crashing. None of them seem to have enough cooling to do the job right.

LunarMist

It has an ULV Core 2 Duo and the thermostat setting will be lowered during our absence. The little CPU fan may not even turn on. I hope to get close to 4 weeks of Windows operation.

ddrueding

Fixture
4 weeks shouldn't be an issue, particularly on a machine like that in those conditions. The built-in UPS may actually be a benefit.

Just in case, you might want to configure the app to run on startup.

LunarMist

Of course the notebook is connected to a UPS along with the modem and network switch.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Basically:

1. Build them right
2. Don't install anything you don't have to
3. Don't touch them unless you have to

Server 2008 is pretty solid for file/database stuff, but I have yet to meet an application server that didn't need to be administered into a bloody pulp on a fairly regular basis.

ddrueding

Fixture
Server 2008 is pretty solid for file/database stuff, but I have yet to meet an application server that didn't need to be administered into a bloody pulp on a fairly regular basis.

I suppose that depends on the app. We have an construction-industry-specific piece of software (Harddollar) that requires 3 2008 machines (DB, App, Web). Typically industry-specific stuff is the worst, but these machines have are only touched for software updates once every 6 months. It is all SQL, .NET, and IIS.

LunarMist

There is no way I would buy a server OS for the webcam. :eek:

LunarMist

I found one software that seems to work, but costs more than the camera. :rabbit:

There is so much nasty stuff on the internet.

LunarMist

The webcam failed today. Of course that was after I purchased software for it. Logitech is useless. What a waste. :(