Weird slowdown

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Rack server? It's a workstation, and, yes, I put it together myself.

I can't say much on how it might perform compared to Xeons. Except for laptops, the only Intel-based computer I've ever owned was a 486; even the 286 had an AMD chip in it. Considering that the clock disparity is only a bit over 1GHz, it should at least be reasonably close; depends on what is running on the server. Anything that's memory bound may get a boost, simply by architecture.

Having just slotted in a third gigabyte of memory in my machine, I agree that 2GB on a *shared* server seems a bit skimpy. Minimal, at best.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Forum access is very erratic right now. I've had such a hard time the last few minutes that I gave up replying in the thread made to underline my fourth milestone.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for letting me know. I'm weighing the options to move us. Seems enough people find the site's availably to be sub par (self included).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
WTf is goping on now? Unfortunately it wa ssite down for an hoars or so tonight. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, sorry. There were some filesystem errors:

http://voxtremestatus.com/

May 7th, 2007 10:21 pm
swordfish.dnsvelocity.com is back online after clearing the file system errors
May 7th, 2007 07:02 pm
The server swordfish.dnsvelocity.com is having file system errors in its main hard drive. DC is trying to correct the errors and the server will be unavailable for the time. We will keep you updated in the matter.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Would that have anything to do with why I lost a post yesterday? I had a reply typed in the Post Quick Reply box, submitted, and it never came back. The screen cleared so I couldn't copy/paste to submit again.

Handruin

Administrator
That sounds different. The whole server was down so you wouldn't have been able to post at that time. There might have been a weird glitch with the quick reply, but it does work from when I've used it in the past.

Handruin

Administrator
It has been like this since last night. I've been trying to work with support to get it fixed. I don't know yet what is causing the problem, but I'm trying to find out.

Handruin

Administrator
I was informed that they are transferring us to a different server. This is the first I've learned about this.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is the server in the Atlantic ocean by any chance, judging by the time zone?