Western Digital launch new 10K rpm enterprise hard drive.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The S25 SAS.

Press release

Up to 900GB capacity, max 204MB/s transfer rate, 2.5" form factor, 32MB cache, SAS 6Gbps interface, 7.8W max/5.3W at idle, 5 years warranty, rather noisy with 37dBA seeks. No idea about the price. Much slower than an SSD, but also certainly cheaper for similar capacity.

They launched it yesterday, but I only noticed today. No one else posted it before.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah, of course, I wondered when WD suddenly became an Enterprise heavy-hitter. Anyone know if this is true?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Anyone know if this is true?
The press release I linked is from WD's own web site. How could it not be true?

And I don't think it's an Hibachi design as it uses the same form factor and rotational speed as their older Raptor models.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not the number that bothers me so much, it's that the marketing department confused(?) a theoretical projection with actual failures - 100,000 to 150,000 hours for 50% failure would surely be a more realistic field life (i.e. 2.9% to 4.4% pA).

And yeah, it can't be a Hitachi because it uses 77% more power at idle than the equivalent Hitachi :eek:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hitachi's SCSI drives have always been crappy but cheap. It's sad that they're better than Western Digital.