What do you think of this roof?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
035__scaled_600.jpg

Just curious, if you were to see this type of roof as an option on other vehicles in the future ;-) ... would you want it? Would you pay a little extra for it? It has a retractible sun-shade.

C

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I would be quite worried about its sturdiness in case the vehicle turns upside down. It's probably been tested, but still, I would have some concerns.

On the positive side, it could be great for visibility, especially with an aquapel treatment or something similar. I don't see anything to block sunlight when it's either dusk or damn tough.

ddrueding

Fixture
I would love that. I hate convertibles because they are heavy, noisy, consume space, and generally annoying. I do, however, love the added visibility.

Hell, give me that car and I'll take it right now ;)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I would love that. I hate convertibles because they are heavy, noisy, consume space, and generally annoying. I do, however, love the added visibility.

Hell, give me that car and I'll take it right now ;)

An Opel (GM Euro subsidiary) Astra isn't it? Is it available or a mock up?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It looks like a cheap POS vehicle. Visibility looks to be mediocre like most current vehicles with high side panels. Maybe it is just me, but accidents mostly happen from the sides and rarely from above.

I guess it will nice and comfortable at 115 °F in the summer at noon. ;) I also wonder how well it performs in the full rollover tests. I would not want broken glass causing lacerations, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
It says in the picture that it is a 2007 Opel Astra. It doesn't look bad considering it is an entry-level hatchback. Rearward visibility doesn't look great, but "What is behind you is not important!". High side panels prevent you from looking down, but that isn't really an issue considering how low this car is and that I live in a world of SUVs.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!

LunarMist

The only sort of accident that our car has happens from above, Lunar.

(Hint: it's white and comes out of birds' bottoms.)

Yeah, that will be a great view, seeing all that dirt and sh*t overhead. :D

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Ha a Saturn! Perfect for that crowd. I rest my case. :)

So I guess you'd never buy a car with a sunroof, either. Also, sounds like you're kind of clueless about Saturn and their vehicles too, I'd guess. You might want to checkout the Outlook, the Aura, and the Sky.

Nonetheless, thanks for your feedback about the roof, guys.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!

LunarMist

Of course my auto has a sunroof. The mfrs. have conspired such that it is not optional anymore. :( However, it is not the entire roof. I recall it opening partway once when I accidentally pushed one of the buttons.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Saturn used to sell very bland and technology-retarded vehicles, but now it has changed. The Aura is probably the best mid-size american car and the Sky is a Solstice, but with an improved design. Contrarily to DD, I don't find the Saturn Astra's picture unflatering. But I judge a car by its specifications and road-handling a lot more than by its look. According to the reviews I've read, Saturn's lineup is probably the most competitive among american brands.

fb

Storage is cool
The Saturn Aura is the same car as the Cadillac BLS/Saab 9-3/Opel Vectra and so on... It's not necessarily a bad thing though as I really like the Saab 9-3 (haven't tried the rest.) But it's a little boring that they haven't even bothered to change steering wheels in the new models.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Similar platform but definitely not the same product. It's built here in the US and I believe the main area of commonality is more underbody related.

Last edited:

fb

Storage is cool
I am sure they are different products in regards to engine and chassis characteristics and so on. But I still wish that GM would make their brands stand out a bit more from each other.

Stereodude

Not really a
But I still wish that GM would make their brands stand out a bit more from each other.
If GM knew how to do that, they'd be selling a lot more cars. They've had this problem for a long time where the same basic car was sold by Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Olds. The bean counters assumed that counted as 4 unique models where as the car buying public viewed it more like 1.4 different models.

ddrueding

Fixture
But the trick is, there are only so many form factors that need to be represented. A super-mini, compact, mid-size, full-size, 1/4-ton, 1/2-ton, and a full-ton. On top of that is drivetrain, body style and cosmetic differences. If each brand sells one of each form factor and body style, with cosmetics that appeal to their target audience, what more do you need?

Mercedes has been doing this forever. Pick your size, pick your engine, and you're off...

Stereodude

Not really a
But the trick is, there are only so many form factors that need to be represented. A super-mini, compact, mid-size, full-size, 1/4-ton, 1/2-ton, and a full-ton. On top of that is drivetrain, body style and cosmetic differences. If each brand sells one of each form factor and body style, with cosmetics that appeal to their target audience, what more do you need?

Mercedes has been doing this forever. Pick your size, pick your engine, and you're off...
GM has some good cars but they're too spread out. A few for each "brand". That's why GM needs to take their few good models and keep Saturn and Cadillac or Chevy and Cadillac for cars and use GMC for their trucks and get rid of Pontiac, Buick, and whatever other brands they have. The Japanese have all been very successful with this strategy. They have one up-level brand, and their main-line brand.

ddrueding

Fixture
GM has some good cars but they're too spread out. A few for each "brand". That's why GM needs to take their few good models and keep Saturn and Cadillac or Chevy and Cadillac for cars and use GMC for their trucks and get rid of Pontiac, Buick, and whatever other brands they have. The Japanese have all been very successful with this strategy. They have one up-level brand, and their main-line brand.

Sounds good to me. I just wich they were more clear with their product placement (like Merc and BMW). Even if you've never seen the line before, you know about where you stand and what you are looking for.

Stereodude

Not really a
I just wish they were more clear with their product placement (like Merc and BMW). Even if you've never seen the line before, you know about where you stand and what you are looking for.
I agree with you about BMW. I don't agree about Mercedes. I have no idea if a C class is higher end than a S, or if a S55 is better than a CLK320, etc... That one is not intuitive IMHO.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with stereodude on Mercedes. I don't know how their product lineup ranks and I don't have the energy to learn it. :) BMW on the other hand is much easier.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercedes is more complex than BMW, but they have more variants to sell as well.

Sedans:
C < E < S

Coupes:
CLK < CLS < CL

Convertibles:
SLK < SL

....yeah, it is pretty complex. But I like their product lineup better than I like BMW's.

(Click on "See all models")

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
What I found interesting when I've visited Germany is that none of the BMWs or Mercs had their model number displayed on the trunk. So it's difficult to tell if it's a 7 series or 5 series etc, except by visuals. No idea what engine is in each. Keep in mind that almost all taxis are Mercs, so it's not really a large status symbol.

ddrueding

Fixture
Were I to get a BMW or Merc (on any new car, really) I'd rather not have the markings all over. Were I to get a WRX STi, I would want it to look as much like a stock Impreza as I could. That way I could park it wherever, and the cops wouldn't be hunting me down.

ddrueding

Fixture
The Spoiler is easy to get rid of, but IIRC, there actually is a reason for the hood scoop, so you can't just put an Impreza hood on without breaking stuff and reducing airflow to the engine :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Another note: I got a guy in a Prius to keep up with me on a nice stretch of 101. He couldn't manage the acceleration, but 110-ish wasn't a problem. Good to know.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
According to several websites, I see the top speed as 105-106. I know you need every MPH so I just thought I'd mention it. lol

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe you had a nice tail wind or were going down hill.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
035__scaled_600.jpg

Just curious, if you were to see this type of roof as an option on other vehicles in the future ;-) ... would you want it? Would you pay a little extra for it? It has a retractible sun-shade.
>> It has a retractible sun-shade.

It better have a good one, otherwise this car could be the most unpopular car in Arizona history.