What notebooks have decent screens now?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Bloody Lenovo have pretty much completed their overhaul of the Thinkpad line. It's more or less impossible to buy a Thinkpad with a normal screen now, everything is 15.4 shallow-screen and useless to me. Or (worse) 14 inch shallow-screen. There are a few remaining 14 inch standard screen models remaining, but why on earth would I spend a lot of money to downgrade what I have already?

I don't need a new one for a while yet, but things are looking grim.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
That's right, Piyono, the marketing weenies call them "wide screen" but the reality is that the extra width is pretty useless for most purposes, and the loss in height is very significant. "Shallow screen" is a more accurate description. They use shallow screens because "15.4 inch wide screen" sounds like it's bigger, where in fact it is smaller than a proper 15.0 4:3. For the scumbag manufacturer, it's a win-win: sounds bigger so you can sell it for more, is actually smaller so you can shave pennies on your costs.

Ahem. Practicalities.

I doubt I'd ever buy anything from Dell, ever. Dell's entire stated purpose is to put people like me out of a living, so why encourage the bastard?. Besides, their products are (in the main) cheap, underpowered, flimsy crap, their prices nowhere near as good as they sound before you read the fine print, and their business ethics as shonky as a three dollar note.

And that ASUS model is an old one. If it hasn't disappeared from shelves already, it will soon enough. It's a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo, and my guess is that they have sold the lot already - nobody but nobody has any Windows XP laptops left in stock, people snapped them all up while they could still get them to avoid getting stuck with a Vista slug.

And I don't want a new notebook now, more like about this time next year, when it will be way too late to get a proper screen.

Sigh.

Maybe I'll get a shallow screen R Series and just start carrying a 12 Volt 19 inch TFT around with me. If you can still get one of those by then.

grrr.....

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You lose a whole 1.5 square inches going from 4:3 15" to 16:10 15.4". People all over the world are using the extra width just fine now that the mass hysteria has died down. Most picture sizes are rectangular as well which should serve you better than a more square screen.

So much drama, it like trying to argue with a woman! Tea, stop using Tannin's account.

ddrueding

Fixture
I also prefer 4:3 displays. The thing I do most often with my computer is read columns of text. This will always be easier with more vertical screen space, horizontal space makes very little difference.

Also, consider word processing/other office applications. The menu and toolbars are on the top, and the status bar is on the bottom; they are already eating into the vertical space!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 14" screen. Notebooks that have smaller screens have batteries that last longer. I like having a notebook I can run for five and a half hours while it's unplugged.

Deadwood

What is this storage?
IMO, the biggest abomination in laptop screens is the reflective display. CrystalView, ClearView, BrightView, MirrorView, RearView, or whatever they're calling it now.

I actually like the widescreen, as it makes viewing two text files side by side easier on a laptop without much screen real estate. I also like the portability of my 14" laptop.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If you could buy a laptop with a 19 inch 4:3 screen, I'd be the very first in line. Tiny screens are useless for photographic work, and shallow ones are worse. Battery life is nice, but not if it comes at the expense of having a tool which can actually do the job I need it for in the first place.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
How about a notebook with a 20" widescreen?

BTW, I take exception to "shallow". Shallow refers to depth. A shallow screen is thin. It has nothing to do with width or height. Widescreen, Thinscreen, Tallscreen, and Shortscreen more accurately describe the difference in screen shape. One could also reasonably call 4:3 screens traditional.

Mercutio

How about just carrying around a 20" monitor in the ol' Subaru and using a laptop that isn't the same size and weight as a microATX desktop?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I also really like having a 14" standard 4:3 screen. I wish more laptops had trackpoints (the little eraser head thingy in the middle of the keyboard) rather than touch pads. I don't see any with trackpoints any more. I don't know what I'm gonna do when I eventually have to replace my Compaq M700. That machine is just perfect for my needs.

Mercutio

Thinkpads have joy-nipples. They also have three sets of left/right mouse buttons (lower, trackpad and upper) for different hand sizes/positions.

Little touches like that are one of the reasons I so adore Thinkpads.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I dislike strongly the trackpoints. I'm fond of the touchpads, though I disable the click features on them and use the buttons instead. But I carry a mouse with me in my laptop case and use that whenever possible because both trackpoints and touchpads don't compare to a mouse.

And I like those glass like coverings for the LCD displays. It seems to make the color reproduction better.

Stereodude

Not really a
And I like those glass like coverings for the LCD displays. It seems to make the color reproduction better.
It's actually just a difference in the front polarizer. The traditional LCD screen has a front polarizer with a very heavy anti-glare coating on it. The new style are either clear, or a few have an anti-reflective coating on them.

Handruin

Administrator
Thinkpads have joy-nipples. They also have three sets of left/right mouse buttons (lower, trackpad and upper) for different hand sizes/positions.

Little touches like that are one of the reasons I so adore Thinkpads.

You made me think of this reference:

Mercutio

Oh yeah?

20050415.jpg